Oppo Camp How do you feel about Daisy now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched a few Collingwood v Carlton highlights.

Wow he was such a flog. Taking on Cox.

I think he reserves his flogness for us.

Have you ever interacted with Ed?
Because you certainly seem to think you know enough about him to believe other people don’t know anything.
I have a bit, but don’t pretend to know him well. Which is why I don’t throw around ignorant assumptions.

Watch the third quarter of Pies vs Richmond 2012, never seen anyone play a better five minutes of football.
He was for a few years at even elite levels agree.
Funnily never a real favourite of mine, but always liked him enough.

I don’t wish him nothing but good, except against us. He just sometimes over compensates when he plays us. It’s a bit of mirth on my part.

Just on that, we could create a whole thread on players you just over liked / loved just because you did / do.
Or players you never absolutely warmed to. I reckon I’d surprise people with some players.

He was for a few years at even elite levels agree.
Funnily never a real favourite of mine, but always liked him enough.

I don’t wish him nothing but good, except against us. He just sometimes over compensates when he plays us. It’s a bit of mirth on my part.

Just on that, we could create a whole thread on players you just over liked / loved just because you did / do.
Or players you never absolutely warmed to. I reckon I’d surprise people with some players.

I genuinely thought that he would reach the calibre of James Hird, but with pace, probably not my best thought (thought Witts would be better than Grundy as well...).

Now that time has passed its easier to have more perspective on the issue, hard to believe that Daisy played more games for Collingwood than guys like Saverio Rocca, Mick McGuane, Des Tuddenham and Ray Shaw.

I wouldn't imagine there would be any hard feelings amongst the playing group either and its hilarious the way he acts against us!

Well not knowing him well, maybe you shouldn’t pretend that others don’t have an insight as well.
Maybe we should let Ed do his job. We are on the eve of a new season and are in contention. It’s pointless discussing any changes now.

I genuinely thought that he would reach the calibre of James Hird, but with pace, probably not my best thought (thought Witts would be better than Grundy as well...).

Now that time has passed its easier to have more perspective on the issue, hard to believe that Daisy played more games for Collingwood than guys like Saverio Rocca, Mick McGuane, Des Tuddenham and Ray Shaw.

I wouldn't imagine there would be any hard feelings amongst the playing group either and its hilarious the way he acts against us!

I didn't think this could be right and had to check. Tuddy played 182 games for the pies, but you were correct on the others.

Well not knowing him well, maybe you shouldn’t pretend that others don’t have an insight as well.

Fancy taking on the self prescribed leader of the Collingwood Big Footy Gang. Good stuff mate.

Bottom line with this bloke - if you have an opposing position to him aka Buckley/McGuire, you are a either a hater, a troll, a non Collingwood supporter or plain ignorant. Mind you, he's not on his own. The others are just less robust.

Watch the third quarter of Pies vs Richmond 2012, never seen anyone play a better five minutes of football.
Was that when he went running down the members side after kicking a goal staring up at the coaches box?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that when he went running down the members side after kicking a goal staring up at the coaches box?

Yep, first bounce he won the centre break ran to fifty and kicked one.

He won the centre break at the next bounce, ball goes to Sinclair -> Cloke goal.

Then only 2 minutes into the second quarter takes a contested mark against Rance in the goal square to kick the 3rd goal of the quarter.

Flood gates open, Fasolo nails a couple and I think we kick about 8 in a row.

Daisy nails another one halfway through the quarter. Unbelievable effort

Maybe we should let Ed do his job. We are on the eve of a new season and are in contention. It’s pointless discussing any changes now.
It’s been 20 years with Ed at the helm.
Return? One Premiership. Which I’m eternally grateful for.
But against that is the fact that we played another four grand finals for three losses and one draw.
All the while we had a person in a senior position within the club that was apparently very toxic.
While I admire the no renumeration stance that Ed takes when cornered, that doesn’t excuse that oversight.
And if anyone thinks that anything was going to change under Ed’s leadership before the collective members/supporters made enough noise, resulting in the review, then they are simply burying their head in the sand.
Ed’s time is up. Simply we need a leader with a lower profile. A leader who is not on tap for a “dial a quote”, a leader who constantly gets that quote wrong.
I’m grateful that he turned our ship around, but just like he forced a succession plan upon the coach, maybe he needs to outline the same succession plan for himself.
I’m not holding my breath.

But against that is the fact that we played another four grand finals for three losses and one draw.
All the while we had a person in a senior position within the club that was apparently very toxic.
While I admire the no renumeration stance that Ed takes when cornered, that doesn’t excuse that oversight.
And if anyone thinks that anything was going to change under Ed’s leadership before the collective members/supporters made enough noise, resulting in the review, then they are simply burying their head in the sand.
Ed’s time is up. Simply we need a leader with a lower profile. A leader who is not on tap for a “dial a quote”, a leader who constantly gets that quote wrong.
I’m grateful that he turned our ship around, but just like he forced a succession plan upon the coach, maybe he needs to outline the same succession plan for himself.
I’ll assume you’re not running for the position?

Come on BW.
In 2017, (or was it late 2016?) we heard there was someone putting together a ticket to challenge Ed.
Lo and behold that same person is commissioned to do the review in 2017.
Stability ensues in 2018.
In 2019 "the challenger" is appointed to the board.
Maybe the succession plan is already in place?

Again I'm with you re Ed on a number of matters.

Particularly with regards the expansionist clubs and in particular Brisbane. We all know that the AFL underwrote their 3 peat. I fully supported Ed's stance in this regard and was very angry that we played off in 2 GF's against a club with 3 brownlow medalists and a plethora of talent. It was unfair and we were always playing for 2nd. And Malthouse, Buckley and Co nearly achieved the impossible in 2002. So I get Ed's robust stance on these matters but ultimately what did it achieve for Collingwood, which is all that matters?

A number of observations:

(i) if I recall we were having a crack at Jonothan Brown around 2005/6 but ultimately he declined because of Ed's very public demeaning of Brisbane's 3 peat. Whilst I wholeheartedly agreed with Ed's stance, if it impacted on Brown's decision then that was a problem for Collingwood. Further, given Ed's high profile, such frustrations were always going to be viewed as sour grapes.

(ii) Ed's ongoing battles with the AFL - often on matters of equity are most times reasonable and well balanced and often on behalf of the other clubs. So he goes into bat whilst the other Presidents sit back and lay low whilst Ed cuts loose. If I was one of the other Presidents, I would be happily encouraging Ed to be the frontman whilst my club potentially benefits from his robust efforts and tends to avoid any of the negative heat from the AFL. Smart by Ed? Has he not worked out by now that the AFL is no democracy.

So on balance I would rather a low key low profile President at the helm who focusses on Collingwood, and only Collingwood. But that's me.

On the first bolded point, I've never heard Brown mention anything close to your version of events. Can you backup your statement with some facts?

On the second point, If we had a low profile President yourself & others would be screaming from the rooftops claiming our President is invisible.

Never will forget his 2010 h&a season and his finals series in 2010.. his season in 2011.

He was always gonna cop cheek from our supporters with his move to Carlton.. put it down to immaturity or whatever re.. regardless of what the fans do.. you simply dont give em the middle finger.

Not sure if he has or not but that warrants a public apology of some sort

All that s**t being said and that re.. that stint in the finals in 2010 and his season in 2011.. is still in my mind one of the best yr to 2 yrs I have ever seen from any player at Collingwood in my time.

So thanks for the memories.. happy to give the bugger a huge hug.. I just chose to look passed his immaturity and arrogance. Without those qualities.. perhaps we would never have gotten there.

When he is up for election the members will decide.
Perhaps you should buy one?

When he is up for election the members will decide.
Perhaps you should buy one?
Jmac you are correct and you have made this point before. Members decide.

The members vote. (I actually remember voting 1989.)

If nobody stands well that just good positioning by Ed and his committee.
Any eligible member can stand for elections. That simple.

Whilst I’m more in the boat, very long tenure of committee members can lead to staleness and problems, it’s still up to people to stand.

At least with Ed, can never accuse him of lack of energy, focus and direction. Plus he does keep the peace in the club.

But if somebody wats to stand, let them stand, then we can make a decision accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back