Remove this Banner Ad

purplearmy

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
How do you feel about the club and AFL in general?

I don’t feel a heart and soul with the Dockers anymore, and haven’t for a while.
So many players have retired and moved on, with only Fyfe and Walters really left.
I don’t know any of the other players or have any feeling for them. It could be any old club now.
Leaving Fremantle Oval and training at Cockburn is a negative.
AFL is a soft, athletic driven game and unrecognizable. No one in position and an endless scrum.
Especially with COVID delaying the season and no crowds, I’m kinda over it.

You?

Last edited:
I don't think JLO is the right choice and stand by that, which goes to my 'kinda over it' vibe.

How do you feel about the club right now?

I don't think JLO is the right choice and stand by that, which goes to my 'kinda over it' vibe.

How do you feel about the club right now?
I expected our side to take half the season to adapt and click into gear.

So far we have shown we can match it with every side we have played, we are having a lapse of a quarter each game but it's positive signs in my opinion.

We haven't been blown off the park for a game by anyone yet.

Okay - what are your thoughts on the vibe of the club and the state of the AFL?

I think the AFL is an amateurish and instinctively unfair organisation. They are poor custodians of the game.

The sport itself has some highly watchable and exciting characteristics. These are being managed out of the game by administrators and poor umpiring philosophy. I rarely watch neutral games any more because they are just not entertaining enough.

I would also like to see umpiring get a revamp. Strict new rules about bias, independence, performance, interpretation and fraternising. Should be led by a strong outsider.

In general I would like to see our club be a little more aggressive. Aggressive at the trading table, aggressive against the AFL, aggressive against players who use drugs, aggressive on the field and aggressive in our market.

Rona has opened my eyes up to how little i care about footy now. I still look forward to the game each week but don't care too much when we lose. It use to really fry me for a few hours after each bad loss but now I just change channels and play with my kids. I do more day trip adventures with the family and it (covid) has put footy in its place. Down the pecking order...significantly.

Until the AFL bite the bullet and make Melbourne based clubs merge, then there will be nothing equal about the competition.
Lots of white noise from Melbourne about how the Suns have bled the AFL dry, but remember clubs like Saints,Roos, Bulldogs and mostly Melbourne have been of the drip feed from the AFL for many many years, and still are.
Then the rumours we hear from time to time about Geelong and Carlton.
As for Fremantle, I still love them , always will.You either stick or go .But most are stickers I believe.

How do you feel about the club and AFL in general?

I don’t feel a heart and soul with the Dockers anymore, and haven’t for a while.
So many players have retired and moved on, with only Fyfe and Walters really left.
I don’t know any of the other players or have any feeling for them. It could be any old club now.
Leaving Fremantle Oval and training at Cockburn is a negative.
AFL is a soft, athletic driven game and unrecognizable. No one in position and an endless scrum.
Especially with COVID delaying the season and no crowds, I’m kinda over it.

You?

I'm feeling the same about AFL at the moment

I reflect enjoying SANFL footy as a kid, with two supporter bases cheering their sides on vs the single sided affair we see today. The athleticism and professionalism has gone to far, taking personality and enjoyment away for players and supporters alike.

Perhaps the reduced off field spending, we may see some raw footy come back. Perhaps requiring players to down a pint before the game and quarter time breaks may reduce the reliance on gut running and a return to positions.

Fingers crossed we see better days ahead

Well OP, I have the almost opposite opinion to you.

-I don't think "heart and soul" is meaningful. People have feelings and mine are positive towards Freo. I do not engage in tribalism as most supporters do (I think this is evident) but it is mostly unconditional. I follow other sports where I don't have a horse in the race and it isn't as engaging.
-Everybody misses players but they come and go. When Pav rocked up, it wasn't his club yet. Same with all of those players. They shaped it to be what it is now.
-The locations don't bother me because I never got to go anyway living over here. Suspect I wouldn't care as a WA resident either though.
-Sports change over time and always have. I personally don't mind the way it is because I recognise that what is engaging in sport is the contest. For the most part we have that and arguably moreso than the past. I also recognise that trying to condense as many highlight plays into your sport is exactly how you destroy it long term (see ODI -> T20 -> the 100 and the slow death of Tests).
-Other than when they accidentally pan out, I forget there are no crowds most of the time with the fake noise. Admittedly sometimes it doesn't quite match but most of the time I am oblivious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the AFL is an amateurish and instinctively unfair organisation. They are poor custodians of the game.

The sport itself has some highly watchable and exciting characteristics. These are being managed out of the game by administrators and poor umpiring philosophy. I rarely watch neutral games any more because they are just not entertaining enough.

I would also like to see umpiring get a revamp. Strict new rules about bias, independence, performance, interpretation and fraternising. Should be led by a strong outsider.

In general I would like to see our club be a little more aggressive. Aggressive at the trading table, aggressive against the AFL, aggressive against players who use drugs, aggressive on the field and aggressive in our market.

This sums it for me too. I’d also add that I didn’t miss the AFL during the shutdown and would’ve preferred if they canned the whole season and just started up next year.

Re Freo, I feel better about them now than I have over the last few years but I just wish we’d fix our Sports Science dept.

The well-known concept of "taste freeze" - where you stop actively listening to new music and just sort of stick with what you listened to up until about age 33 - applies to footy as well.

I don't know if there is an age limit as such, more an exposure limit. You kind of, at some point, just get over that obsessional level of involvement we all must have had (or we wouldn't be here).

And every generation looks back and decides their era was peak. Of course, in my case, it was peak. The 90s up until about 2006 was when footy, as I like it, was at its best.

Like silversurfer, Rona has gone some further way in recalibrating the importance to me but, to be frank, I am here out of habit and only really care about community footy.

I do still really like seeing the Weavils be s**t, though. I hope that never gets old.

Oh, and the AFL is a joke organisation. But all sports organisations are. It is the nature of treating a game so weirdly seriously.

Rona has opened my eyes up to how little i care about footy now. I still look forward to the game each week but don't care too much when we lose. It use to really fry me for a few hours after each bad loss but now I just change channels and play with my kids. I do more day trip adventures with the family and it (covid) has put footy in its place. Down the pecking order...significantly.
Everything has become very vanilla.
All of the club's and their player's lack personality and all say the same things.
This amended season has made me even more disinterested about AFL and to be honest, I coudn't care less if it were called off.

Very much the case with me. Wasn't feeling the club or the game beforehand, and now know I can very easily live without both.

I have found my love for the club again after you know who was shown the door.
The late start moved my attention elsewhere, but happy to have the game back and I am enjoying (with some frustrations)watching the evolution of our new future.
I also appreciate the clubs renewed focus on the supporter base this year.
The WC Eagles have had enough success (probably too much ) for WA, so I don't think we will ever matter that much to the AFL.
As long as the team continue to have their own playing styles and it doesn't keep moving towards basketball, I will remain interested in the game but with so many teams in the comp, some games will not be worth watching, as happened on Thursday night.

The well-known concept of "taste freeze" - where you stop actively listening to new music and just sort of stick with what you listened to up until about age 33 - applies to footy as well.

I don't know if there is an age limit as such, more an exposure limit. You kind of, at some point, just get over that obsessional level of involvement we all must have had (or we wouldn't be here).

And every generation looks back and decides their era was peak. Of course, in my case, it was peak. The 90s up until about 2006 was when footy, as I like it, was at its best.

Like silversurfer, Rona has gone some further way in recalibrating the importance to me but, to be frank, I am here out of habit and only really care about community footy.

I do still really like seeing the Weavils be sh*t, though. I hope that never gets old.

Oh, and the AFL is a joke organisation. But all sports organisations are. It is the nature of treating a game so weirdly seriously.
There's actually a term for that?

As long as you're not toying with me, that has made my day!

I love the club as much as I ever have. I'm loving watching Fyfey do his thing and I am excited to watch these young guys come in and develop while watching our gameplan develop and grow under JLo. The AFL in general, however, I am as out of love with as I have ever been. I used to watch as much footy as possible each week and now I would say I haven't watched a full neutral game (other than the GF) for probably at least 10 years.

As a spectator, Subi's dominance and clear favouritism aside, I much prefer the WAFL. I find I am missing going and watching Sowfs more at the moment than going to Optus and watching Freo. Even though I am still going to the WAFL with pretty much the same group of mates I go to the Freo games with, it is just a more enjoyable atmosphere and much better banter at the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back