How do you feel about Freo and the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

To me this season has lost all integrity i love my club and still support them but I couldn’t care less about this season.

As for the AFL nothing but a two bit comp who are ******* up the game.

1. sick of year after year seeing a number of our best and most important players sitting our large portions of the year. Not that that's the AFL's fault.
2. sick of the club, regardless of who's in charge, saying all the right corporate speak but never ever standing up for the club and it's players, ever. Particularly when we have some real clowns in the local sport media constantly throwing slander our way. Then they expect us to stand up for them and support them "passionately" and financially. Laughable. Hard to be passionate when only Fyfe and Walters out of the entire club and personnel seem to actually really care.
Other than that, quite excited looking at our list (taking into account point 1.). Hoping to see them get used to playing together.

EDIT: forgot about the AFLW debarcle. Can you imagine a finish like that if Collingwood were undefeated? Would of completed the season with some kind of GF between the top teams.

Love Freo
the AFL iso outdated and out of touch,
My sentiments echoed in the link here give it a read if you want
A long shot I know but this will happen eventually I think

gf.me/u/x2cpvu

I really enjoy the modern game. I missed footy when it shut down due to COVID. Just the same as since we first got Fox back in 2002, I watch as many games on the weekend as I can (weekend just gone I watched 6 out of the 8 games, which is fairly typical for me).

I started watching footy in the late 1970s and watched (and in those days listened) to as much WANFL/VFL footy as I could in the 1980s. And while the highlight reel and the "legends" of 1980s footy might make it seem like the game has gone backwards, for mine it is totally the other way around. Overall footy is a much, much better sport than it was in those days. The players are much better in terms of raw athletic performance these days. The thuggery has (thankfully!) largely gone, and the tactics and strategies of the game are quite simply in another dimension to what it once was.

Aussie Rules was once a simple and spectacular game but it wasn't particularly nuanced and there were many, many more forgettable performances then than there are now.

I seriously dislike many parts of the administration of the modern game at AFL and state league levels. Our administrators at AFL and state league levels lack innovation, are too tied to the past and tradition, and aren't thinking enough about the long-term future of the sport.

For mine league administrators care too much about the immediate needs of individual clubs instead of the game as a whole. They constrain successful clubs to prop up un-economic clubs. They favour traditional clubs because of their heritage, smothering the ability of new clubs to form that might be better suited to the modern day. They emphasize development pathways that are greedily focused on a small amount of elite talent getting to a small amount of clubs during a very small window of time (when the elite talent is 18) rather than how to retain talent through-out a national system so that young footballers can mature at a pace that suits them.

There is so much wrong with the AFL I don't know where to begin.
The fixture
The contrivance of the MRP (is Christian the single biggest campaigner in the game?)
The umpiring inconsistency
The corrupt nature of the so called integrity unit
The constant Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Carlton dick kissing to the disadvantage of other teams
The rule tinkering
Even little things like changing the time of our game with one day notice from twilight to a night game - like what the * is that?

Unfortunately I have been hard wired into supporting the game from a young age, so I watch it regardless. And Freo were the team to support, I don't want to get all Silent Alarm on you but there was somehting special about us and Freo Oval. Not any more, the game is not the same and Freo certainly aren't.
It has nothing to do with 'taste freeze' bullshit, as has been said by other wiser posters above the evolution to seeing absolute football spuds like Ed Langdon playing top tier footy when you have motlops and garletts and smiths and simpsons languishing in country leagues - just * me dead there is something fundamentally wrong. It's wrong at the top of the AFL and wrong at the club level.

- love Freo
- genuinely believe we’re not too far off, pending my next point...
- loathe the ability to get and keep our best players on the park. Been happening the better part of 3 years now and absolutely sick of it. Always behind the 8 ball.
- was so keen for this season after the 3 top 10 picks in. Covid has tempered that with the long breaks and game changed to short quarters.
- AFL is meh. Inconsistent in every facet. Fixtures, media, umpires etc etc
- umpiring needs more transparency. Never getting better unless they publicly come out and admit fault and even praise.

Love freo, but the AFL as a league and a governing body really need a boot up the backside. Their disdain for freo could not be higher. Examples include:

1. Shite fixtures every year (Sunday afternoons and travel to Tassie/Canberra/Gold Coast but no opportunity on the MCG.
2. No Friday games despite outperforming other teams who are given games in this timeslot (Carlton).
3. A lack of preparedness to make Vic teams hub outside of Victoria despite their covid19 rates.
4. The treatment of the freo aflw team this year.
5. Freo the only team to play a final at Kardinia park
6. Gil couldn't announce our timeslot vs Port Adelaide publicly last week (seems it slipped his mind).
7. Our game vs Port is played at 8.10pm est - joke!
8. Players like Pav are continually referred to as players who would have got far greater recognition if he played in Vic.
9. Making every team limited to training in small groups, limiting whatever 0.1% advantage WA and SA clubs may have received - in the interests of parity FFS!
10. Legends of WA and SA footy seemingly regularly overlooked for hall of fame recognition.
11. No true home and away fixture or seemingly desire to achieve it.

The list could be endless really. Love freo but hate the way the AFL run the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m loving Freo again under JL. We have a super exciting young group & they are playing with some real spirit. I think the Hub is a unique opportunity to get them really bonded & everyone on the same page.
I’ve gone off every other sport, don’t even watch cricket anymore except down the park watching grade cricket. But I still love footy.
Wandered into Freo oval on Saturday morning & there was some kids playing, looked like U18’s. Every kid could kick either foot & the skills & pace were amazing.
It’s a different game than I grew up with but it’s still the greatest game & I love the way it keeps getting faster & more skillful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you feel about the club and AFL in general?

I don’t feel a heart and soul with the Dockers anymore, and haven’t for a while.
So many players have retired and moved on, with only Fyfe and Walters really left.
I don’t know any of the other players or have any feeling for them. It could be any old club now.
Leaving Fremantle Oval and training at Cockburn is a negative.
AFL is a soft, athletic driven game and unrecognizable. No one in position and an endless scrum.
Especially with COVID delaying the season and no crowds, I’m kinda over it.

You?

Yep. But footy's not in my blood.

There is so much wrong with the AFL I don't know where to begin.
The fixture
The contrivance of the MRP (is Christian the single biggest campaigner in the game?)
The umpiring inconsistency
The corrupt nature of the so called integrity unit
The constant Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Carlton dick kissing to the disadvantage of other teams
The rule tinkering
Even little things like changing the time of our game with one day notice from twilight to a night game - like what the fu** is that?

Unfortunately I have been hard wired into supporting the game from a young age, so I watch it regardless. And Freo were the team to support, I don't want to get all Silent Alarm on you but there was somehting special about us and Freo Oval. Not any more, the game is not the same and Freo certainly aren't.
It has nothing to do with 'taste freeze' bullshit, as has been said by other wiser posters above the evolution to seeing absolute football spuds like Ed Langdon playing top tier footy when you have motlops and garletts and smiths and simpsons languishing in country leagues - just fu** me dead there is something fundamentally wrong. It's wrong at the top of the AFL and wrong at the club level.

I think with 18 teams and larger lists that the talent pool is spread thin. If it was quality over quantity then the game would be a far greater spectacle.

It has become so sanitised that the characters of the game have been pushed to the side.

The AFL has to realise it isn’t the VFL anymore and the footy world doesn’t revolve Victoria.

Freo..Freo Freo Freo Freo what can I say.
Firstly I just hope I live to see them win a flag. They mean so much to me and unfortunately I was busy playing my own footy and bulk amount of travel between our good years 2012-2015 so I missed out on a bit of that.

I honestly feel we’re the 2nd most passionate fans after the Collingwood army. We’re loyal and imo the most knowledgeable of fans when it comes to the current game itself and the history.

I hate the players passion for the club! Those early years 95-98 IMO those local boys loved the club and even though we trained all over the joint, there was a huge amount of passion playing for the purple and a level of unity

In recent years guys like Pav, Mcpharlin, Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe and Walters were/are clearly invested and would do anything for the club. Be bloody proud to represent Fremantle.

My issue is most these other players have no idea how long suffering we are, they couldn’t comprehend the level of passion we have. I just wish they had a quarter of the passion and brought that to game day.

Standing in front of the camera for a minute thanking the fans for sticking with us...doesn’t do it for me. Show it in the contest, so when it starts raining in the second you go harder than the next bloke.

I’ll give Jlo a year to get that game plan going. Just hope he’s not afraid to give a grilling. Some of these players need it.

Yeah I feel ya. Have run out of *s to give about a lot of things through Rona, and footy is right up there.

Love the club and am heavily invested in it, especially the sport either watch every game live or full replays of time clashed games - but I believe we will be bottom four for two seasons at least and it’s hard to get excited over a team nowhere near it yet

It was always going to be hard for anyone to get excited about this abortion of a season. You'll all feel differently next year when it's the real deal.

It was always going to be hard for anyone to get excited about this abortion of a season. You'll all feel differently next year when it's the real deal.

If we’ve got Henry, Monaro, Sturt, Serong and Young plus our first round pick from this year all running around together in the side, I certainly will.

In regards to the club & to be fair I’m not in the inner sanctum, it is frustrating that they don’t seem to understand the most important part of the club, behind the players is the S&C dept.

Our inability to get key players on the park will forever be a downfall & restrict our success.

The AFL, well they keep adding clubs to a competition that doesn’t need or want them, when in fact, if they truly want to be a fair national competition, clubs should be reducing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back