How do you fix rugby in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

For the record the San Francisco 2032 agreement take effect for a Global calendar agreement which sets out an international schedule from 2020 until 2032

Key Points:
  • Optimised calendar promotes compelling, competitive and meaningful tests
  • Long-term agreement creates commercial certainty for all unions
  • 39 per cent increase in tier one v tier two fixtures with emerging nations integrated on merit
  • Tier one tours to Pacific Islands, Japan, Canada, USA, Georgia and Romania
  • Player welfare at heart of the decision-making process
  • Uninterrupted Super Rugby season with new July window
  • Optimised calendar will aid the development of the club game
Tier 1 vs Tier 2 matches will become a major focus of the calendar and allow Tier 2 nations to develop long term
  • Record minimum of 110 tier one v tier two matches over the period as emerging rugby nations are integrated into the schedule throughout the period (a 39 per cent increase on the previous schedule)
  • SANZAAR Unions committed to hosting tier two nations in July window, creating a blend of opposition
  • France and England to tour the Pacific Islands while USA, Canada and Japan also host tours
  • Georgia and Romania to host matches against Six Nations unions within the July window
  • Ability for rankings to determine inclusion of tier two teams in the schedule after Rugby World Cup 2019 and 2023 tournaments to ensure top emerging teams at the time are provided with tier one opportunities based on merit
  • Six Nations unions to collectively host a guaranteed minimum of six tier two fixtures in each November window
Personally much better than a World League that takes away from the World Cup and doesn't help the Tier 2 nations in any meaningful way on field.
Absolutely none of that helps the game in Aus.

Absolutely none of that helps the game in Aus.

and? World Rugby and the other Unions aren't here to help Australian Rugby get its act together. What does to is provide more serious match opportunities for the likes of Japan, USA, Canada, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Romania and Georgia against the likes of England, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand.

But hey lets deny that in favor of playing the World Cup each year and throwing money into the Australian Rugby money pit

and? World Rugby and the other Unions aren't here to help Australian Rugby get its act together. What does to is provide more serious match opportunities for the likes of Japan, USA, Canada, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Romania and Georgia against the likes of England, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand.

But hey lets deny that in favor of playing the World Cup each year and throwing money into the Australian Rugby money pit
But with South Africa, Australia and to a lesser extent NZ all in terrible financial positions the governing body has do act. It’s in world rugby’s interest to keep the game strong in these nations as much as it is in there interest to grow the game in other markets

But with South Africa, Australia and to a lesser extent NZ all in terrible financial positions the governing body has do act. It’s in world rugby’s interest to keep the game strong in these nations as much as it is in there interest to grow the game in other markets

But you have to do that in a manner that benefits the European Unions as they killed off the idea of the World League and wanted more games between Tier 1 and Tier 2 nations. Without their support your fantasy ideas won't happen

But you have to do that in a manner that benefits the European Unions as they killed off the idea of the World League and wanted more games between Tier 1 and Tier 2 nations. Without their support your fantasy ideas won't happen
Well then we should of taken the money as that is what is the best for us. Do Japan think of what’s in our best interest when they raid our players? No, when there is more money in the American comp will they care what is in our best interest or just try and sign the best talent.

We should of done what was best for us and our future and forget about promotion and relegation

Well then we should of taken the money as that is what is the best for us.

There was no money available without a World League. No World League was possible without the support of the Europeans. Therefore there was NEVER any money to take period.

Do Japan think of what’s in our best interest when they raid our players? No, when there is more money in the American comp will they care what is in our best interest or just try and sign the best talent.

That's a club issue. Clubs can overpay if they wish. National Unions can stop being so pigheaded and drop the requirements that selection for the National team is based upon where one plays. Just pick the best team. That would be in the best interest of Australian Rugby.

We should of done what was best for us and our future and forget about promotion and relegation

I don't think you understand how this works. It wasn't up to Australia and if they went again the global calendar then they don't play ANYONE. So great logic you have there.

There was no money available without a World League. No World League was possible without the support of the Europeans. Therefore there was NEVER any money to take period.

That's a club issue. Clubs can overpay if they wish. National Unions can stop being so pigheaded and drop the requirements that selection for the National team is based upon where one plays. Just pick the best team. That would be in the best interest of Australian Rugby.

I don't think you understand how this works. It wasn't up to Australia and if they went again the global calendar then they don't play ANYONE. So great logic you have there.
It was the southern unions who wanted promotion and relegation and that became the sticking point. We should of burnt the their two nations for the cash.

If we pick those who play overseas nobody would stay and play in Aus and that would be terrible for Australian rugby. Our domestic sides are already trash

It was the southern unions who wanted promotion and relegation and that became the sticking point. We should of burnt the their two nations for the cash.

Again how? The Southern Unions alone didn't have the numbers and the Southern Union don't attract the cash. Your ideas make no sense.

If we pick those who play overseas nobody would stay and play in Aus and that would be terrible for Australian rugby. Our domestic sides are already trash

Going to have to do it sooner or later, domestic sides aren't going to be able to increase their salary caps to match the Japans and Frances of this world.

Again how? The Southern Unions alone didn't have the numbers and the Southern Union don't attract the cash. Your ideas make no sense.

Going to have to do it sooner or later, domestic sides aren't going to be able to increase their salary caps to match the Japans and Frances of this world.
So we just let all our players go. That will kill pro rugby in this country. People say we can’t support 4 teams now. If we let overseas players play wallabies we would struggle to be able to run one competitive super side.

When the initial plan was put forth promotion and relegation was not a part of it. It was unions like ours and NZs that pushed for that so we didn’t lock out pacific nations we should of focused on what was good for us and burnt the islands

It isn’t just Australian Rugby that is in trouble. Super Rugby is going from bad to worse.
When the 3 major participating nations only release about half of their games attendance figures, it’s obvious there is a major problem with popularity. South Africa released very few crowd figures for their home games. Going on the published figures for all games the average is less than 11,000. I can only speculate that the real average maybe below 10,000.
Getting rid of Japan certainly suits some members, but the loss of potential earnings that Japan could generate has to be a major negative.
It seems that every thing done to “fix” Super Rugby has failed, and it maybe that the interest is just no longer there.

If Foxtel do not renew the television rights when the current agreement expires Australian participation in that competition must be at risk and alternatives would have to be considered, whether in be a Tran Tasman or pan pacific competition or even an upgraded National Competition.

It isn’t just Australian Rugby that is in trouble. Super Rugby is going from bad to worse.
When the 3 major participating nations only release about half of their games attendance figures, it’s obvious there is a major problem with popularity. South Africa released very few crowd figures for their home games. Going on the published figures for all games the average is less than 11,000. I can only speculate that the real average maybe below 10,000.
Getting rid of Japan certainly suits some members, but the loss of potential earnings that Japan could generate has to be a major negative.
It seems that every thing done to “fix” Super Rugby has failed, and it maybe that the interest is just no longer there.

If Foxtel do not renew the television rights when the current agreement expires Australian participation in that competition must be at risk and alternatives would have to be considered, whether in be a Tran Tasman or pan pacific competition or even an upgraded National Competition.
Fox are still committed to it but have said they will be scaling back the money they spend on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Super Rugby fixture setup is a joke to start with. I remember several years ago two kiwi sides finishing on the highest points and the second best side had to travel for the grand final qualifying game.

Speaking to a press conference, Cheika dropped the announcement with the bombshell he had “no relationship” with the Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne.

I know he is a salty mofo in generally, but ******* LOL @ RA. The sooner they * both those clowns off too the better. Get people like Jeremy Paul in there. Now it doesn't have to be Jeremy Paul and I don't know his credentials as a coach or administrator (probably none), but someone who isn't afraid to think outside the King's School-Randwick-Waratahs box.

The Coach leaving is a bloody good start!

You can’t fire me... I quit.

Speaking to a press conference, Cheika dropped the announcement with the bombshell he had “no relationship” with the Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne.

I know he is a salty mofo in generally, but ******* LOL @ RA. The sooner they fu** both those clowns off too the better. Get people like Jeremy Paul in there. Now it doesn't have to be Jeremy Paul and I don't know his credentials as a coach or administrator (probably none), but someone who isn't afraid to think outside the King's School-Randwick-Waratahs box.

That’s why a fair chunk of the public sees the game as a upper class boys club.
I love the game, played it for a few years in Queensland and the funny thing is that up there it’s more of a working mans game in the country, even bigger in some areas than league.

followed by the c.e.o - hopefully.

That whole board is on the nose.

Melbourne/Victorian Government bought a Bledisloe Cup game two years ago. 10 months away now and they haven't said what stadium, date or put tickets on sale.

We need to get the public school rugby in NSW and QLD strong again. We need to be looking to grow the game in Melbourne and Perth and establish the game in Adelaide
think theyve killed the growth with the pull out of the force.

the fact that the sunwolves have also now pulled out shows how *en stupid the decision was.

and whats worse for union is league is trying to make massive inroads here nrl 9s next year plus a couple of games. confident nrl will be here in the next tv rights round. if not theyre incredibly incompetent.

I always hated rugby until I took a bus load of private school kids to an interschool game . It gave me a team to barrack for and I admired the courage and certain skill sets different ones had . So Western Force games were entertaining as I slowly got to understand rules . The World cup gave me more of a chance to follow a team and learn more of the game . In 10 years I still dont know all the rules but enjoy finding out about them . I have no interest in Australian rugby as they removed my WA team . As a pom I watch the world cup or international games my pommie team are involved in . I would love a WA rugby team . I detest league . You have to keep putting it in front of people . Give them a team give them a starting point and persist . I for 1 would follow Union in Australia if we had a local team .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back