How do you guys rate your mature recruits.

Remove this Banner Ad

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Good win guys. Good to see Brown being what he needs to be for you.
I thought he was very dissapointing in his suspension early in the piece given the need for all those blokes to be out there for the first half of the year.

You can now say that every mature recruit has delivered. Even Nathan Krakour had that good game against Brisbane.

How do you guys rate the years of the blokes that you took from other clubs. (not their ability.)
Ablett would have to be number one with Riska at second.

Brennan would appear to be third and suprised me as I thought he was too laconic to take on the responsibility of a seniour player at a start up club.

What are your thoughts on the following. Ive probably missed someone out.

1.Ablett
2.Rischetelli
3.Brennan
4.Brown - suspension rubbish out of the way. Showing why you got him
5.Bock
6.Nathan Krakour.

I'd go

1. Ablett (Outstanding play and leadership)
2. Bock (Has played really well all year and been a General down back)
3. Harbrow (Has been good and is getting better)
4. Brennan / Rischitelli (trouble splitting them - serviceable without being outstanding - Rischa has been down on last year))
6. Fraser (Average but this has actually surprised me - I thought he'd be worse)
7. Brown (Rubbish earlier in the year but starting to come good)
8. Krakouer (Disappointing other than the QClash1)

The only ones you missed were Fraser and Harbrow (if you can count a 22-year old as a mature recruit :p).

1. Ablett
2. Bock
3. Rischitelli
4. Brennan/Harbrow
5. Brown/Krakouer/Fraser

Ablett obviously the standout, but Bock has also been solid down back. Has held his defender well week in week out.

Rischitelli has been consistent as well. Next I'd put Brennan and Harbrow about equal. It's well known that Brennan's best is brilliant, but there's too much gap between his best and worst. I think he's shortened that gap this year. Sure he's faded in and out of games but he has been a bit more consistent. Harbrow has been great in providing dash out of the backline all year with his agility and pace, but his kicking efficiency has let him down at times.

Brown, Krakouer and Fraser have all been average this year. Although Brown was extremely good in the last quarter yesterday, he hasn't been as good throughout the year. He does his job though, I guess. Krakouer has been in and out of the team, struggling to find form when he makes it into the team. Fraser has been better than I expected, but Zac Smith has overshadowed him throughout the year.

I'd go

1. Ablett (Outstanding play and leadership)
2. Bock (Has played really well all year and been a General down back)
3. Harbrow (Has been good and is getting better)
4. Brennan / Rischitelli (trouble splitting them - serviceable without being outstanding - Rischa has been down on last year))
6. Fraser (Average but this has actually surprised me - I thought he'd be worse)
7. Brown (Rubbish earlier in the year but starting to come good)
8. Krakouer (Disappointing other than the QClash1)

Interesting..... You would know better than myself so Ill take your word for it.

im suprised to see Harbrow above Rischetelli. Maybe Riska has dropped off in the last couple of weeks but I thought he was fantastic in the first half.

Brown below Fraser?

Brown will come good but I would have thought that he has been better than Fraser already.

Big difference in pay packet between those boys I would have thought that should have Bluey telling Brown that he wants to see a better year next year for his coin if Fraser has outperformed him.

Interesting..... You would know better than myself so Ill take your word for it.

im suprised to see Harbrow above Rischetelli. Maybe Riska has dropped off in the last couple of weeks but I thought he was fantastic in the first half.

Brown below Fraser?

Brown will come good but I would have thought that he has been better than Fraser already.

Big difference in pay packet between those boys I would have thought that should have Bluey telling Brown that he wants to see a better year next year for his coin if Fraser has outperformed him.
Brown loosing games over suspension pushes him down for mine. For awhile he seemed to be more interested in attacking the man then the ball. But if he keeps up this form he will shoot up the list. Also I do see the argument for having Harbrow above Risch, he has been super consistent after those first few weeks (everyone struggled at the start though).

The only ones you missed were Fraser and Harbrow (if you can count a 22-year old as a mature recruit :p)..

Yep 22 year old counts as he was lured from another club as player with AFL experience. Scully will count for GWS on the same topic if he goes.

Dont know how I left out Fraser. To see Fraser put our ruckman on the bench as a sub is something that one should not be asked to see in life. I know I must have been very bad in my previous life.

Harris, Thermo, is a mature recruit but not lured from his previous club rather getting that second chance, but interesting to see how he has gone in relation to the others.

The performances of Stanley, Iles and Fraser last Saturday prompted this thread on the Collingwood board - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848756
Like most in that thread, I'm glad that Gold Coast has given the opportunity to Stanley and Iles that they couldn't quite get, or achieve, at Collingwood, and there's no real surprise that they are making something of it.

Stanley and Iles have been fantastic so far for you guys.

Whats happened to Harris? Is he injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost form mid-season and had a few injury niggles. Dropped back to the reserves last month and has worked himself back into good form. Like Krakouer he is now waiting for a spot to open up through injury or rotations. Both could be back as early as this week depending on match-ups with the Pies.

Harro's running into the same issues he had at North
Very respected and a great hard ball winner, but who do you drop to play him?
Has been so good to have him at the club.
Not sure if Rex Liddy will play this week..so that might open a spot..but it seems to me this year that there are a certain number of "mature selections" and then the younger guys
Harro and Krakouer's positions I suspect will be at the will of the Injury Gods rather than a young bloke not performing.
Non performing youngsters are replaced by other youngsters, not older players.

hey guy's whats the story with nath Ablett? l cant see him getting a game ahead of dixon,lynch etc.l noticed him in torquay yesterday and at the gym in geelong again today and earlier in the year l seen him a round the place.is here on leave or has he been de-listed already?he's looking kinda lean to be a key forward what role has he been playing in the 2's?

He's listed as having a groin injury on our website i think, 1-2 weeks.
Doubt he'll play a game this year, but might stay on the list next year.

Has been playing in the forward line and doing alright. Had a good patch of form earlier in the year.

He has been out for last couple of weeks with a groin injury and is still listed as 1-2 weeks away... He has played most of the year at full forward in the reserves with stints at CHF, leading goal kicker in the reserves team, but I cannot seeing him getting a game now in the seniors. Bluey reported last month Nathan was still being considered for senior section but still had to improve in a few areas but now with only half a dozen games left in the season, and his injury very unlikely to see him this season... as far as delisting everyone has an opinion, most say delist him, but I personally would keep him for one more season... And who knows, King Gary might just have a bit of sway in the decision?

Yep agree mate that he is not a power forward... But I do believe he could fit into our structure as the designated lead... Lynch at CHF, Dixion in the pocket (but basically sitting in the square) as he unfortunately is a very bad lead/mark at this early stage of his career, and Nathan or another experienced forward sitting at full forward providing the strong leads... We currently do not have an experienced key position leading full forward, only ruckman resting at full forward, and though Fraser and Smith can stretch the oppositions backman with their height, they are both very very slow on the lead. See what happens at seasons end with delistings, trades, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back