Food, Drink & Dining Out How do you have your steak ?

?

• Rare

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Medium - Rare

Votes: 88 53.7%
  • Medium

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Medium Well

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Well Done

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Medium well, not a big fan of eating/drinking blood... Some juice is necessary however.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I have mine left open in the fridge for 2 days so the juices suck back into the middle.

On cooking day, I leave it out in the open air for 2 hours to get up to room temp.

I then get a pan smoking hot and cook each side for a minute at the most, only flipping once.

Afterwards, give the steak 5 min to cool down before eating. It's the juiciest thing you'll ever eat.

Cheers Heston!

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any steak cooked past medium rare is ruined. Tough and dry. A waste of good steak.

I've read that undercooked meat can lead to intestinal parasite but not sure what they class as undercooked meat because a fair majority of steak eaters eat it medium towards medium rare and I'm sure not everyone in that category has worms.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I have mine left open in the fridge for 2 days so the juices suck back into the middle.

On cooking day, I leave it out in the open air for 2 hours to get up to room temp.

I then get a pan smoking hot and cook each side for a minute at the most, only flipping once.

Afterwards, give the steak 5 min to cool down before eating. It's the juiciest thing you'll ever eat.

Cheers Heston!

Yep that's how I do it, except I will rub some salt and pepper into it while it's sitting at room temp.

******* crime to see people order a good steak then waste it by requesting anything more than medium rare. Go to macaws you infidels

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
I like Chicago-medium myself. A bit of pink but not too much and slight char outside. Something like this:
20110930-173119-the-hitching-post-santa-maria-style-steakhouse-wood-grilled-aged-top-sirloin-casmalia-ca.jpg

I'm the only one here who voted rare? Surely that will change.

Guessing there isn't any fans of a good steak tartare here yet either :(

a good steak tartare is wonderful.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Medium is best. If it can't be done exact tend to go for slightly well done over rare. You want to hold some of the moisture and juices but a good cut will generally hold its flavour. Can't eat a steak too rare.

Back