• D

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 28 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If our medicos can get Aidyn Johnson right to play AFL footy i have full faith they can do the same for Georgidas and Williams. Johnson was similar to the two didnt play a whole lot in his draft year because of well documented hammy and quad problems but still made it to the level. Staying at the level was a different dilemna

I thought we reached a bit, took high risk players who have injury concerns.

The positive is the players are high upside. The injuries apparently aren’t too concerning. Apparently Georgiades was a freak accident and there is zero ongoing concern. Miles were from overworking his body and once in a professional environment can be better managed. Williams concerning with foot and back injuries though. But he’s already a very good size.

The size of the lads we targeted is positive. The shortest Of the three was 186. Meads an alright size too.

No real kpps yet is concerning.

Bergman. Pretty good skills. Great hands. I don’t love him one on one or deep forward. He isn’t good at that. He would struggle Massively in a Hinkley forward line. Best when he can float in to a pack or just unchecked around the ground. Kind of a smaller westhoff in that sense. He needs to be more high half forward than deep. Just never gets enough of it to be elite, so that’s what needs to change. He either becomes a ball magnet, or he’s a complete bust. I suspect people will need to be really patient with him. He could spend a fair while in the sanfl.

Georgiades I know absolutely zero about. I watched him last champs but didn’t take note of many underagers so Don’t know much. The attributes he has and the role he is supposed to play for us would be perfect. Injured For all of draft year 192cm kf Is pretty scary risk though.

Williams. Absolutely love him as a deep forward. Very smart. Natural forward. Suited to Hinkley ball to a tee. If his body is right he could play round 1. Whether he can become more than a forward I have no idea. I wouldn’t be shocked if he leads our goal kicking next year. Body a huge question mark though.

Draft day trades were amazing.

Early bid on mead was laughable. But matching with late picks we probably would have passed out works out anyway.

Meads body is ready to play round 1.

I don’t like mead in any position other than centre though so I wouldn’t play him. Too slow elsewhere. He will either become a A grade inside mid, or he will disappear. I don’t think there’s a middle ground or a place elsewhere for him.

Annoyed we didn’t take Finlay or Shute. We should have traded in and taken Gould or Worrell for sure.

It a high risk/high reward draft, picked up players who slid because of injury. Have some concerns on their production. Looking at the stats, none of them win a heap of touches. All of them have potential upside. I like that they all seem to be pretty good overhead. Would be handy if Georgiades was an inch or two taller, but has some great speed. Williams is hopefully over his injury, but back stress fractures are a concern. From what I understand his previous year was outstanding, form dipped this year (did he try and play through injury and that caused the form dip?). Bergman is interesting, is there midfield scope, he looks a good size, once again shin splints, did that affect his form. I hope our medical team had some input into our decision making.

source.gif

I like that we have completely rejigged our forward line. Time will tell whether it is for the best, but given one of our key failings in recent years has been our inability to score, it has to be a step in the right direction. Let's hope the game plan gets adjusted to suit the skills of theses guys. Yeah we may now be not tall enough down back, but kick 20 goals a game and that really isn't going to be an issue.

We don't seem to have loaded up on generic HBF types either.

After the cluster**** that was our 2019 season it's nice to head into Christmas having something to look forward to. I reckon all of the new guys have something to offer that will improve our side. Obviously it's hard to rate definitively now, but I'd be happy with a provisional B+.

A D+ for me, somewhat saved by getting Pasini in the rookie draft.

We've basically recruited 4 very similar players who I can't see playing in the same senior team unless 2-3 them transition to being mids. The Magpies will feature the Pentangle of Minor Inconvenience next year with marking medium-forwards Bergman, Williams, Mead, Georgiades and Cox all playing in the same forward line.

The other concern is that we have picked up 3 players who haven't played a large amount of football over the past year and come under injury clouds. My general feeling is that you can take 1, maybe 2, risks with drafting high celing/high risk players. Taking three really concerns me.

I would have loved to pick up one of Robertson or Gould just to add some balance to our haul, both in terms of balancing the risk and taking a greater diversity of players.

A+ for mine.
I don't know about the players but the fear on this board has been about looking at short term fixes and that hasn't happened.
We drafted for the future plus got 2 FS.

Gotta be very happy with that and hopefully all the young lads will come on and have a good career. :thumbsu:

Not a huge fan of Bergman, wanted kemp instead but maybe we know Hately will be coming to us next year, other than that pretty happy

Williams could be anything and possibly the best player in the draft if he translates to AFL

georgeiwoaudeuwus looks a very good lead up player and something we’ve been missing for a long ass time

and grabbed a tall defender to give us more depth so overall pretty good draft for us

something I was very impressed with was our trading on the night and next day we won every trade we did by quite a bit

I'm a B+ with our drafting. Excited with what all the kids bring when fit, and with the young talent we have I feel we are well placed going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gave us an A, mostly for Williams, the Mead positioning, and the trades.

We craftily picked up two second rounders for nothing. We got as close as we possibly could to the edge of the range for Mead (had pick 23, he gets bid at 25, tingles had 24).

We then had absolute guts basically picking four explosive/x-factor fwd or fwd/mids, three of whom have injury concerns. That's backing in the medico team and the game plan hard.

We could have gone safer, with three shots at Robertson/Gould/Worrell, but that wouldn't have been the Port Adelaide way.
Looks like we gave up next years first round for Williams and picked up two second round picks. We must have four second round picks next year.

Looks like we gave up next years first round for Williams and picked up two second round picks. We must have four second round picks next year.

We have 3 round 2 picks (our original + 2 coming in):
In <> Out
Round two pick (tied to Fremantle)
- Round two pick (tied to Collingwood, on-traded by Brisbane)
- Round three pick (tied to St Kilda)
- Round one pick to Brisbane
- Round four pick to St Kilda

The fact is now that we have hit 3 of the last 4 drafts extremely hard and ended up with a haul of Marshall, SPP, Drew, Ladhams, Garner, Farrell, Hayes, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Mead, Bergman, Georgiades and Williams and likely to add a couple more next year as well. If this core can keep developing and build together (under a new coach hopefully), I am very excited for the future.

OUT: Howard, Ryder, Broadbent, Sam Gray, Trengove, Frampton, Johnson, (Woodcock, Grundy), 2020 first round pick, 2020 fourth round pick

IN: Buzza, Bergman, Georgiades, Williams, Mead, Burgoyne, Fremantle 2020 second round pick, Collingwood 2020 second round pick, St Kilda 2020 fourth round pick

Gerogiades >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Frampton
Bergman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sam Gray
Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Johnson
Mead >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Broadbent
Buzza <<< Howard
Burgoyne > Trengove

Port, Fremantle, Collingwood second round picks, Port third round pick, St Kilda fourth round pick >>>>>>>> Port first round pick, Port second round pick, Port third round pick, Port fourth round pick (in terms of matching bids)

It's an A+ from me overall.
giphy (1).gif

If our medicos can get Aidyn Johnson right to play AFL footy i have full faith they can do the same for Georgidas and Williams. Johnson was similar to the two didnt play a whole lot in his draft year because of well documented hammy and quad problems but still made it to the level. Staying at the level was a different dilemna
How does rolling him out there with a beer gut qualify as right for AFL footy?

The fact is now that we have hit 3 of the last 4 drafts extremely hard and ended up with a haul of Marshall, SPP, Drew, Ladhams, Garner, Farrell, Hayes, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Mead, Bergman, Georgiades and Williams and likely to add a couple more next year as well. If this core can keep developing and build together (under a new coach hopefully), I am very excited for the future.
Looks good except for the distinct lack of kpd. Especially considering we inexplicably turfed our only young kpd who had shown anything.

People need to get over Kemp. You're talking about a player who would have spent the entire year doing rehab away from his teammates in a foreign city away from his support network. Then all of next year he would have been in the SANFL trying to gain some confidence and touch before telling the club that living in Adelaide is ******* s**t and he wants to be traded to a Victorian club, and that club would give us a second round pick at best because he wouldn't have any form to speak of.

The reason Kemp was available was the very reason why we couldn't pick him. Never draft a kid from interstate with a serious injury. The first year is crucial to bond with fellow draftees and the senior team through preseason etc.

Back