• D

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 28 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Being such a level draft you don't really know if a particular player will make it or not

That's why I think Port has been smart by drafting quality kids with a proven work ethic

Injuries can be overcome, skills improved, but if the kids not a fully committed, team orientated, sharp minded person then they will likely fail

Solid B for mine

People need to get over Kemp. You're talking about a player who would have spent the entire year doing rehab away from his teammates in a foreign city away from his support network. Then all of next year he would have been in the SANFL trying to gain some confidence and touch before telling the club that living in Adelaide is ******* s**t and he wants to be traded to a Victorian club, and that club would give us a second round pick at best because he wouldn't have any form to speak of.

The reason Kemp was available was the very reason why we couldn't pick him. Never draft a kid from interstate with a serious injury. The first year is crucial to bond with fellow draftees and the senior team through preseason etc.
Huh

If we pick Stephens over Kemp we riot.
If we ended up with a haul of Kemp, Worrell, Cassar and Mead...which is entirely possible...then I'd be sending a Christmas card to Howard thanking him for ******* off.
In order of preference:

Pick 12 - Kemp, Serong, Stephens, Weightman

Pick 16 - Worrell, Bergman, Williams

Pick 18 - Bergman, Williams, Gould

Any of those players will do me just fine and we're pretty much guaranteed to get three of them so it's all good.
With three picks in the top 20 you can afford to take Kemp and still get two players that will help this year.
12. Kemp
16. Bergman
18. Williams
Pick Kemp and tell him that he's playing CHB instead of Jonas (who is 4 cm shorter than him) with the task of running through the midfield at every chance he gets.

That's why I want him...he's perfect.
Bergman at 12 is a Marshall at 14 pick.

The sort of pick you do when you know that the three clubs picking after you won't pick Kemp and you can get him at 16. I mean, I rate Bergman a lot...but he's not Kemp.

How I see it going down is like this:

We pick Bergman at 12 because we know that the Dogs, Geelong and Gold Coast are into him, but they are into different players with their second choice.

Bulldogs bid on Henry and pick Weightman.

Geelong picks Worrell because they want to make sure they get the better of Worrell and DeKoning (this is the reason we needed to get ahead of Geelong at 17).

Gold Coast takes Robertson.

Port takes Kemp.

Geelong takes someone like Bianco.

Port takes DeKoning.

I have spoken.
That's why it's one of those things you do only if you're sure of your intel.

Personally, I'd pick Bergman at 12 and then trade 16 and 18 to the Bulldogs for 13 and pick Kemp. That would suit me just fine.
Davies is confident we’ll get two of the three players we rate really highly.

Come on Kemp and Bergman...

This one is my favourite

Pick Kemp and tell him that he's playing CHB instead of Jonas (who is 4 cm shorter than him) with the task of running through the midfield at every chance he gets.

That's why I want him...he's perfect.
[/QUOTE

Huh

This one is my favourite

Yes but that was before we didn't draft him. Now that we haven't drafted him he's a hack and he would've been the wrong choice. Like how now that Wingard, Polec and Howard are gone they're all spuds who we're glad to be rid of.

I'm a fan of this draft. Bergman was a very good pick, I love what he brings and I love how he fits into our side. The biggest issues for Sam Gray are this guys biggest strengths - aerial ability, strong hands and a long kick. His speed and tackling are also excellent and we'll just have to bring up his fitness to AFL levels. We took him at about the mark and he was the best available that fits with our drafting attitudes (needs to be able to play in the near future if a high end pick and underage year demonstrates potential just as well as draft year).

Georgiades and Williams are needs based picks and good ones. We might have taken them earlier than other clubs (hard to know, especially with the chaos of this years draft) but getting two future second round picks is absolutely brilliant live trading.

Meads a jet. Absolute jet, with professionalism out the wazoo. Love him.

Janus’ opinions are relative, and try to justify what has happened or will happen.

He needs to work on communicating that a lot better instead of presenting everything as fact.

Internet forums/social media are just an awful medium for discussion, doesn’t mean everyone needs to give into it though.

This draft feels like the kind you normally have when you’re a top four side with ordinary picks, and don’t have any particular needs that require rushing a player into the side. Guys with upside on the slide due to injury that may or may not work out but thats ok because you already have a good team so you can take that risk.

Huh

This one is my favourite

Yeah, I wanted Kemp because he's a good player and I rated him higher than Bergman. Where in my post did I say that Bergman is a better player than Kemp? Oh that's right...I didn't.

What I'm talking about is the fact that the club obviously believed he would struggle away from his support network. We aren't interviewing these kids and asking them how they would cope away from home etc. We're operating on half the information.

I'm saying get over it because we aren't playing AFL Evolution where you can just pick players and not consider other factors. You're dealing with people first, players second.

B

The Carlton trade, and then the 2nd round Brisbane trades were fantastic. They were trades that absolutely turned a lot of our previous failures on their heads.

Players wise, they all look alright. We've clearly taken some risks. I'm worried about Mitchells height and feel we probably didn't get the pace infusion we needed.

Overall it has been reasonable though.

... What I'm talking about is the fact that the club obviously believed he would struggle away from his support network. We aren't interviewing these kids and asking them how they would cope away from home etc. We're operating on half the information.

This is not a fact. It’s possible that you are correct, but there are many other possibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but that was before we didn't draft him. Now that we haven't drafted him he's a hack and he would've been the wrong choice. Like how now that Wingard, Polec and Howard are gone they're all spuds who we're glad to be rid of.

And how kern is a great coach and it's not his fault we're shithouse. The about face from Janus when he's finally sacked will be something to behold

I kinda like the risk involved on a few of these young guys as there is some genuine x-factor potential, I'd like a highly rated genuinely tall defender as well but that's never gonna happen under this current admin.

We did ok in the draft with what we had.

I don't like the Bergman pick, I like the two others.

I wanted to see us take a more highly rated, slightly taller, intercept defender with one of those picks (probably Worrell), or Kemp basically who look capable of playing any position.

I can't help but mention that our unwillingness to hold on to 10 instead of dropping down to pick 12 effectively cost us Pickett.

So we could have had Pickett, Georgiades and Worrell possibly which seems less risky and plenty of upside.

So B- if I take that into account. Otherwise a B.

Positives:
  • Forwards that are forwards, not short midfielders.
  • Players with good disposal. Amongst the feel good factor of two 'Port names' in Mead and Burgoyne on the list, I'd like to not see 'Port name' Brad Ebert play for us again, as a clear indication that s**t disposal (outside of an inside mid role to a degree) will no longer be overlooked as a player has other traits.
  • Some talls.
Negatives:
  • The talls aren't 195cm+.
  • A lock down defender (the sort able to lock down a Betts type player that we've consistently had trouble with the last few years) was a higher need to me then more small forwards, even if good quality ones.
Overall for the Draft a provisional B to be re-evaluated in 3 years.

For Trading and Drafting as a whole for changes to the list - C-. Shown last year and again this, that clubs will pay a premium on the night to trade picks. If we hadn't bent over for St. Kilda and simply kept pick 10 instead of 12, from what transpired we could have traded down 10 to 12 on the night, to get the same players and likely have gotten, either a late 2020 1st / early 2020 2nd round pick or a 2019 second round pick for the privilege.

Speaking of Worrell:

"As long as Worrell settles into the AFL system I think he has way more potential to be a "special" player than De Koning as I've heard he can be a a very "extroverted" character. I'm sure Hamish would know this so obviously they're confident it can be tempered."

Sounds like Worrell can be a bit of a dickhead. McAsey gives off the same vibe. Perfect fit for Adelaide.

I like what I have read about the young guys and some of their highlights packages are, to quote Bruce, special. You can say that about a lot but there are others that you just think, wait that's all?

They all sound really keen to get over here and start, except maybe Williams who sounds about as laid back as David Gower. Maybe he just knows he's that good ;)

I don't know enough to rate the draft, but I like what I've seen so far. I take on board comments about picking on potential and managing the injuries, although none of them appear to be chronic issues, more about management and bad luck.

I like that we targeted different forward types. The clear message pre-draft was we have concerns about our forward set up and they are legitimate concerns. We do plug a lot of square pegs into round holes. Parker and co went out and found players for identified issues, hopefully we will trust these kids to do the job they were recruited for.

Meady tends to get a bit overlooked as his selection was no surprise, but he has the build and professionalism to play from day one. And I hope Burgs makes a miraculous Lourdesian recovery from his hamstring issues and lights up the park with his pace.

Grabbing a tall defender who could easily have gone AA in the rookie draft was a handy finish to the process. And don't kid yourself, these kids from WA wheatfield leagues are tough as old boot leather. Remember one Josh Carr?

We have a really good core of young talent, looking forward to watching their careers at Port.

I rated him at 7. And we needed him
We need the others more IMO.

Obviously if all three of them come good we’ll be overstocked, but that isn’t particularly likely.

We are absolutely bereft of goal kickers though. Particularly with Robbie getting on a bit.

That said I’d have absolutely loved if we had traded back in for Worrell or Gould rather than going for a rookie KPD. But we have so many good defenders right now that I’m not too fussed. It’s gonna be a while before we feel understocked back there, whereas last year without Marshall, Dixon or Wingard our forward line was probably the worst in the competition even with Rozee having a ridiculous year.

I am not going to put a grade on it. What I.will say is that in any given year, if you hit on half of your picks you're doing well.

The talent we have selected is unquestioned. Mead is such a safe pick I find it hard not seeing.him turn out well. Will we hit on at least 1 out of.the 3 others? Really depends on the medical. I think we are in a good position.

Back