Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Is there a big chance that with the academy and father son picks next year, if that Collingwood pick is say pick 34 they finish 4th (inc GC pick 11 -> Geelong) that that could fall to around Pick 45-50 after all the bids and level of talent tied to clubs at the top end of the draft?

Or is more likely closer to 40 with the picks tied to those players then getting rid of other picks (in that 20-35 range).

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
IMG_20191129_173704.jpg

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hope the term "goal kicker" when referring to our new recruits actually means "natural goal sense".
Rozee would be our only player who has intuition and is instictive around the goals.
He actually embraces the opportunity whilst too many Port players crap their dacks and fluff it.

If our medicos can get Aidyn Johnson right to play AFL footy i have full faith they can do the same for Georgidas and Williams. Johnson was similar to the two didnt play a whole lot in his draft year because of well documented hammy and quad problems but still made it to the level. Staying at the level was a different dilemna

He continued to have hamstring and quad problems his entire time with us.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I didn't spend a huge amount of time reading draft profiles or watching highlights this year, but i'm very happy with the type of player we went for.

We've lacked x-factor and forward craft in our forward line aside from Robbie for ages, and the first 3 picks all seem to have that. Arguably risky picks but i'd always rather we go for high potential types and back ourselves to get them there.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We did ok in the draft with what we had.

I don't like the Bergman pick, I like the two others.

I wanted to see us take a more highly rated, slightly taller, intercept defender with one of those picks (probably Worrell), or Kemp basically who look capable of playing any position.

I can't help but mention that our unwillingness to hold on to 10 instead of dropping down to pick 12 effectively cost us Pickett.

So we could have had Pickett, Georgiades and Worrell possibly which seems less risky and plenty of upside.

So B- if I take that into account. Otherwise a B.

Up until Melbourne decided to go insane Pickett wasnt even considered a first rounder, never mind top 10. He might turn out well but for me we dodged two bullets in Day and Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Time will tell, but I have scored us a B. Not ecstatic but not upset either. If we can get a new coach for 2021 and develop this young group of players over the next 4 years, perhaps we might be in a position to seriously challenge for the flag in 4 or 5 years time.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The more I think about it, the more I love the way this draft panned out. It’s defintely high risk, purely due to the injury history of all 3 of the early picks. But the potential is there for it to be transformative to the way we play. All 3 are possible players next year. We already have two tall forwards in Marshall and dixon, so to get that pseudo tall but mobile and powerful forward that is hard to match up on in Mitch is good for structure. Williams, rozee and gray can all rotate deep forward, high forward, mid. Gives us a lot of flexibility when moving the ball forward.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Up until Melbourne decided to go insane Pickett wasnt even considered a first rounder, never mind top 10. He might turn out well but for me we dodged two bullets in Day and Pickett.

Which is why Pickett was invited to the first-round draft presentation.

Well I guess we will see

Funny though how much more comfortable I feel having taken Pasini today in the rookie draft. I definitely felt a tall defender was a priority.

Taking a 193cm defender who was overlooked by everyone in the main draft isn't exactly making a tall defender a priority. Hopefully Schofield's knowledge of the WAFL means he is a steal. Why not get Worrell and rookie a player with x-factor and injury issues? That would be making a defender a priority.

Anyway it is done. They are all Port boys now and I hope they do extremely well.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Which is why Pickett was invited to the first-round draft presentation.

Well I guess we will see

Taking a 193cm defender who was overlooked by everyone in the main draft isn't exactly making a tall defender a priority. Hopefully Schofield's knowledge of the WAFL means he is a steal. Why not get Worrell and rookie a player with x-factor and injury issues? That would be making a defender a priority.

Anyway it is done. They are all Port boys now and I hope they do extremely well.

I said that I felt it was a priority, not the club. I have no idea why they prioritised mid/forwards over tall defenders. Personally though I prefer to have Dylan Williams on our list over josh Worrell. I wanted Williams pre draft and honestly believe the sky is the limit for him. His clearance work as a mid is very good as well as his forward craft. I would have loved to trade back in and get both, but that was obviously unrealistic.

Pafcsince86

All Australian
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Missed out on kpd big hole in our side

Hope the guys drafted do well just wanted to see us target a genuine big defender Worral at the crows shits me

Back