Remove this Banner Ad

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
With the dust settling now you really get an opportunity to look over our thinking and assess our strategy.

We decided we needed x-factor players who kick goals.
The selections of Georgiades and Williams were based on their 2018 form which consisted of a stronger draft pool as underagers.

For example Knightmares assessment of Williams in April;

5. Dylan Williams
Best position:
General forward/inside midfield
Height, weight: 188cm, 82kg
Projected draft range: 1-10
Plays like: Steve Johnson
Rationale: Already has the performances for Oakleigh in 2018 and is appealing with the quality of his play forward of centre and through the midfield.
Strengths: One touch at ground level, strong one-on-one mark, overhead marking, clever finisher around goal, skills, contested ball winning, midfield capabilities
Weaknesses: Forward pressure, tackling, endurance

Georgiades is seen as risky and it is given the lack of 2019 form to go by. But he gives us a completely different style of forward that works well in today's game and showed in 2018 he's got the tools.

I'm really excited with all the lads chosen. They suit our list needs and give the fans something positive to look forward to.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is there a big chance that with the academy and father son picks next year, if that Collingwood pick is say pick 34 they finish 4th (inc GC pick 11 -> Geelong) that that could fall to around Pick 45-50 after all the bids and level of talent tied to clubs at the top end of the draft?

Or is more likely closer to 40 with the picks tied to those players then getting rid of other picks (in that 20-35 range).

It’s hard to know but the early picks tend to get pushed back whilst the third and fourth rounders tend to come forward.

clubs have traded like crazy this year, so can’t see why that won’t happen again.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I said that I felt it was a priority, not the club. I have no idea why they prioritised mid/forwards over tall defenders. Personally though I prefer to have Dylan Williams on our list over josh Worrell. I wanted Williams pre draft and honestly believe the sky is the limit for him. His clearance work as a mid is very good as well as his forward craft. I would have loved to trade back in and get both, but that was obviously unrealistic.

I'm ecstatic over Williams. I'm more than apprehensive over Bergman. Hope that is misplaced.

I would like to see how our lineup is going to look next year though. Assuming Rozee and Butters still play forward, we have two more forwards in Georgiades and Williams available to play forward. Gray will presumably start to play less midfield time and more time forward as his career winds down. I don't know where Bergman will play whilst Duursma is a lock on the wing again. Perhaps Rozee and Butters are ready for more midfield time although can we afford not to have Rozee forward already?

At least we should be able to avoid some of those soul-sapping goalless quarters and it will be exciting to watch all the x-factor.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s hard to know but the early picks tend to get pushed back whilst the third and fourth rounders tend to come forward.

clubs have traded like crazy this year, so can’t see why that won’t happen again.
Thw carry over points of GWS and Freo will have an impact too which people seem to be ignoring.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Knightmare wasn't overly impressed...

Port Adelaide

The Power prioritised adding to and enhancing their hand in this draft while ensuring they had enough late picks available to match a bid on Jackson Mead without going into a pick deficit next year. Miles Bergman, a strong marking flanker with the longest kick in the draft is a solid choice and has the attributes to develop at either end of the ground. Port Adelaide's second selection, Mitch Georgiades while athletic and a strong mark was among the highest risk and most questionable. Georgiades is an undersized key forward at 191cm who missed the season due to injury and averaged less than one goal per game in the 2018 Under-18 Championships which makes him more a very speculative choice so early on. Dylan Williams at pick 23 was a solid selection as someone coming into the season was a possible top-five choice. Williams is a talented medium forward and has drawn comparisons to Steve Johnson for his goal sense and how dangerous he is forward of centre. Port Adelaide father-son selection Jackson Mead (the son of Darren) attracted a bid earlier than expected. Mead is a capable ball winner who is a strong mark overhead and uses the ball reliably.

Grade: C+

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
...but these things are subjective:

Buckenara says: What a draft. All four boys taken in the national draft can really play but the big win was getting father-son Jackson Mead at pick No.25 because I really rate him and thought a bid would come in the first round – I had him rated as the 15th-best player in the draft. Instead, the Power were able to draft Miles Bergman, Mitch Georgiades and Dylan Williams before using their final pick on Mead. Huge win.

The Power have made an effort over the last two years to bring in more pure footballers and are building a good core of young players who play on instinct, have footy nous and take the game on. Exciting times.

Dylan Williams has X-factor. All four are capable of playing next year and could have a similar impact as Connor Rozee and Zak Butters did this year.

Buckenara’s verdict: Huge draft for Port Adelaide, they’re definitely one of the big winners at this early stage.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm ecstatic over Williams. I'm more than apprehensive over Bergman. Hope that is misplaced.

Bergman defintely strikes me as a what can he become pick rather than a what he is pick. Fingers crossed their projections of him are accurate. Still fills a need though as an athletic link up runner.
That and the only player I was desperate for that went after him was kemp. And clearly the club didn’t want him as much as we all did.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
...but these things are subjective:

Buckenara says: What a draft. All four boys taken in the national draft can really play but the big win was getting father-son Jackson Mead at pick No.25 because I really rate him and thought a bid would come in the first round – I had him rated as the 15th-best player in the draft. Instead, the Power were able to draft Miles Bergman, Mitch Georgiades and Dylan Williams before using their final pick on Mead. Huge win.

The Power have made an effort over the last two years to bring in more pure footballers and are building a good core of young players who play on instinct, have footy nous and take the game on. Exciting times.

Dylan Williams has X-factor. All four are capable of playing next year and could have a similar impact as Connor Rozee and Zak Butters did this year.

Buckenara’s verdict: Huge draft for Port Adelaide, they’re definitely one of the big winners at this early stage.

X Man dislikes this.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of these guys actually worked in the AFL and knows what traits will translate into the modern game...and one did not. I’ll read Chris’ stuff out of interest but I’d pay more attention to Buckenara’s assessment.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Last edited:

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bergman defintely strikes me as a what can he become pick rather than a what he is pick. Fingers crossed their projections of him are accurate. Still fills a need though as an athletic link up runner.
That and the only player I was desperate for that went after him was kemp. And clearly the club didn’t want him as much as we all did.

Which is why Kemp would have been a great pick as he has the attributes to play intercept marker/defender or midfielder. With the influx of draftees, we had the time to allow Kemp to recover and then plug him into our area of greatest need in 2021. I don't buy Janus reasoning about him going home after two years. A player who has been rehabilitated by a club for a year has as many reasons to want to stay. By Janus logic, Jackson Trengove couldn't have been out the door fast enough.

I still rate our draft a B. Missing out on Kemp or Worrell is a bit of a WTF for me.

Enough whining from me. Onwards and upwards hopefully for the talent we did snare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought it was fine. We got 4 picks in the first 25. I think the draft pool was pretty poor. The top 30 were pretty even and it was just speculative after that. Lots of players in the first 30 won't make it through injury, application or lack of talent. We got some talented players to add to our crap forward line. Hopefully all of them can get through pre-season.

Port Adelaide

The Power prioritised adding to and enhancing their hand in this draft while ensuring they had enough late picks available to match a bid on Jackson Mead without going into a pick deficit next year. Miles Bergman, a strong marking flanker with the longest kick in the draft is a solid choice and has the attributes to develop at either end of the ground. Port Adelaide's second selection, Mitch Georgiades while athletic and a strong mark was among the highest risk and most questionable. Georgiades is an undersized key forward at 191cm who missed the season due to injury and averaged less than one goal per game in the 2018 Under-18 Championships which makes him more a very speculative choice so early on. Dylan Williams at pick 23 was a solid selection as someone coming into the season was a possible top-five choice. Williams is a talented medium forward and has drawn comparisons to Steve Johnson for his goal sense and how dangerous he is forward of centre. Port Adelaide father-son selection Jackson Mead (the son of Darren) attracted a bid earlier than expected. Mead is a capable ball winner who is a strong mark overhead and uses the ball reliably.

Not surprised. Knightmare loves bog standard safe pick inside midfield plodders. Dude probably jerks himself off to Luke Dunstan highlights.

Not surprised. Knightmare loves bog standard safe pick inside midfield plodders. Dude probably jerks himself off to Luke Dunstan highlights.

If I could like this ten times I would :)

Port Adelaide

Knightmare's player assessments are interesting reading but his rankings are heavily influenced late in the year by industry talk. For example he rated McAsey around 14 all year then in his November rankings magically he was the 6th best player in the pool happily coinciding with Adelaide's expected move on him. Even though he hadn't played for over two months.

He rated Collingwood around an A for a draft they barely participated in and didn't at all address their key forward concerns or really even improve their draft position. Unsurprisingly he is a Collingwood supporter.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm more excited about drafting Georgiades than I would have been if we had recruited Worrell. Conversely, I'm less excited about Bergman than I would have been about Kemp. I love the Williams pick and what he could become at AFL level. If he can play like De Goey or Robbie, it will be bloody fantastic.
Mead seems like a very reliable, professional type, whom you'd expect to play a minimum of 100 games of good AFL footy. Personally, I think he can be better than that and am surprised that some have suggested he can only play midfield. For a midfield-only player, he seems to have kicked a lot of goals as a half forward. Pasini seems like a shrewd, bargain selection. Reliable is a quality that our list is lacking in. If he's described as a reliable defender, then that's a great start IMO.

Bergman's the concern I have. He clearly has very impressive individual traits. To what extent his low possession numbers (and for the most part, low goal return) relates to low confidence and persistent/recurrent injury is an unknown. I can see the enormous ceiling he has. I just hope that we're the club to help him reach it. His recurrent foot/lower leg issues are a worry, especially as he tries to get up to speed and fitness during an AFL pre-season on dry, hard grounds.

I had a “who the * is that?” reaction to us drafting Georgiades but the more I read about his injury and that he wasn’t a reach the more comfortable I felt. Georgiades not being highly rated on pundits’ draft lists is mostly irrelevant. The kid has weapons and clubs rated him enough that he probably would have been off the board by our Williams pick.

I’d rather the club take risks than play it safe.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A for me.

Loved our drafting methodology, forgetting safe, and going risk/reward.

Loved the fact Meade got to us for peanuts... Finally Port gets a frigging free kick!

Loved our picking up of young Burger! And finally

Loved our last rookie selection

Big call, but I reckon this year's draft will go on to eclipse last year's

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A document The Advertiser was privy to revealed the four names of the players the Power planned to select with its picks in order.

Port, led by its national recruiting manager Geoff Parker, list boss Jason Cripps and head of football Chris Davies, succeeded in getting exactly what it wanted: Miles Bergman first, followed by Mitch Georgiades, Dylan Williams and father-son nominee Jackson Mead.

It can sound like a cliche when clubs say they are thrilled with their hauls and land who they are after, but it is true for the Power this year.

Along the way, Parker and Cripps canvass rival clubs, player managers and other sources to deduce how teams rate its targets and if it can get them down the order or need to trade up.

Mead:

That knowledge led to Port’s pre-draft trade of pick 29 and next year’s first-rounder with Brisbane for selection 16 because the Power expected a bid for Mead to come before that choice.

“You don’t want to seem too desperate, but we rated him much higher than 29,” Davies said.

Bergman:

Port viewed Bergman as fitting a need – someone who played forward of the ball, was athletic and did not need to gather many possessions to influence games.

It believed it could get him with its first choice
– particularly after hearing Melbourne would take small forward Kysaiah Pickett at 12 – but not its second.

Georgiades:

Port believed the athletic West Australian forward had significant upside after missing all of 2019 with a persistent quad injury, but sources told the Power they needed to take him at pick 18, otherwise Geelong would with the next choice.

At the end of last year, Williams and Georgiades were really, really high up on our draft boards,” Davies said.

Williams:

Williams had been in the club’s sights for 12 months and in its thoughts during trade period.

By shipping versatile tall Dougal Howard to St Kilda last month and dropping from 10 to 12 this year, Port effectively netted Williams, that future second-rounder from Brisbane and the Saints’ 2020 third-round call.

Last edited:
Back