How do you see your fellow supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is always a funny little insight into personality types.

Bigfooty is definitely a 'love it or leave it' type place. Criticism – unless hurled at the accepted four or five people – is generally seen as akin to trying to wanting to harm your own family. Supporters see it as the ultimate insult on here.

But in real life, a lot of supporters can go off their nut. To varying degrees of acceptability.

I have two mates who support St Kilda...

...one of them is a cynical prick. Loves his sport, loves his Sainters, but does not believe in Alan Richardson, isn't sure about the recruiting team, thinks the list is terrible, has some questions over where the rebuilds going, thinks most St Kilda supporters have gotten far too soft in accepting crappy results and their second-tier status...

...my other mate, meanwhile, loves to say 'oh well Jack Billings is still young!' 'Richardson's a great coach, just needs an A-grader,' says how Moorabbin will transform the club, Riewoldt is head and shoulders above Pavlich and Brown whereas others at least compare them, plays the victim card but also thinks they're capable of being bigger than Carlton.

On bigfooty, I think most Freo supporters are far too soft to the club's administration. They'll probably bar me for this. Lots of them are relative newcomers to football and love using statistics and strawmen arguments to bulk up their opinions. Meanwhile, at games in pubs, I think a lot of Freo fans actually hate Ross Lyon, think Matt Taberner is soft, and don't especially think we're going in the right direction. Probably the greatest distinction is the average fan saying Jesse Hogan has been rubbish but we want him to do well, and Bigfooty thinking he's been absolutely worth 800-grand a season.

I have also noticed that in Fremantle proper, younger supporters have clearly never kicked a footy and just cheer for Fyfe and call Walters 'Michael.' Generally those 40-55 are the most educated and harsh. Baby Boomers are very very soft and also seem to have little clue on the club.

Overall though, our supporter base seems far too happy to accept mediocrity and to use our second-team status to excuse things.

So: what do you think of your fellow fan?

Like all supporter bases we have our share of d**kheads - many might include me in that bracket.

I think overall the typical Cats fan, hardened by 44 years of hopeful nothingness, is generally fairly grounded about our chances - our golden era was too far back for us to have a base like, say Richmond (this isn’t a criticism, it’s an understandable reality) who probably have many fans in their mid-40s to mid-50s who were raised on the notion that they were a powerhouse who see a lot of their year to year improvements over the last 12 years or so as a sign that there is a dynasty ahead. They expect it.

Hawks fans are the same, even more understandably after the 80s and the 2010s.

We are generally the cautious types, but in keeping our almost perpetual ‘good but not great’ status aside from 2007-2011, we take exception to any suggestion that we are s**t, and are careful about proclaiming that we are excellent.

The most divisive thing among cats fans is obviously the coach. Probably two thirds of us are grateful to Scott for ensuring we’ve never bottomed out, the other third are filthy we’ve not climbed the summit again.

Being honest I don't interact with many Freo fans on here anymore...spent too much time in the trenches arguing years ago.

Honestly, I interact with a lot on Facebook and there are some that are genuinely good people, who actually have an understanding of reality.

Sadly there are others who are too busy proclaiming themselves as "True Supporters" and if you criticise the club, you're not a true supporter. Those people are more than happy to tolerate mediocrity and really, I spend most of my time shaking my head at the stupidity of that particular argument.

Most North fans....both on here and in person, have finally agreed in unison that our coach is hopeless.

I had countless arguments at the footy over the years bagging Brad Scott and getting told I’m not a “real” supporter....but here we are.

The thing that surprises me most about us North fans is that the Carey saga didn’t divide us like I first thought it would.
There are those who hated the act, others who said it happens at all clubs and Carey just got caught, but we all acknowledge we probably wouldn’t be around without him and definitely wouldn’t have won the 96 and 99 flags.

I honestly thought at the time there’d be a camp Stevo and camp Carey faction among us, but no

Being honest I don't interact with many Freo fans on here anymore...spent too much time in the trenches arguing years ago.

Honestly, I interact with a lot on Facebook and there are some that are genuinely good people, who actually have an understanding of reality.

Sadly there are others who are too busy proclaiming themselves as "True Supporters" and if you criticise the club, you're not a true supporter. Those people are more than happy to tolerate mediocrity and really, I spend most of my time shaking my head at the stupidity of that particular argument.

This.
Kills me every time

Bigfooty eagles supporters are probably pretty similar to the eagles supporters you see out and about.

Some are just idiots, some are well reasoned and others like to send you a text to rub it in when they beat your side but crack the sooks if you do it to them.

Often loud and passionate about their eagles, and I love that passion. Misguided at times, but you can never doubt that love for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall view is it's a passionate one that really gets involved and takes pride in the size and ongoing loyalty of the "Tiger Army" mentality.

Like all bases it also has its dickheads, one eyed bias and unrealistic supporters too within the base, but also those that are fair and measured.

Clarkson mostly follows the John Kennedy identity of the HFC, but i can sometimes be dismayed by the willingness of our supporters to accept Kennett's public displays that are antithetical to that identity. There is a culture clash there for me.

But I think the AFL is losing its way on the whole. So many changes have been made that the supporters have no say in, and never wanted, and that reduce our enjoyment, and reduce the will of people to attend the footy. For example:
-New recording of AFL CLub songs - Mid Season Draft / Trading - Trying to censure fan behavior for booing/chanting - Wildcard final -Twilight Grand Final - Untested Rule changes: Hands in the back, 50 meter penalty-play on, deliberate out of bounds, ruck nomination, 30 second shot clock, etc etc etc etc
- Music at the footy during breaks - Removal of the reserve game before the match
- NG Academies - Father Sons that qualify for Acadmies - Team banners made of plastic that are really just curtains - 3 Sunday games - Ch 7's hokey commentary, which is universally hated. Fox not much better
- The umpire micraphones, hearing the whistles after every mark, the umpires say "hold, hold... one meter", at the cost of crowd noise/atmosphere on the telecast - Draft selection held over 2 days
- AFLX etc etc etc

Last edited:
Clarkson mostly follows the John Kennedy identity of the HFC, but i can sometimes be dismayed by the willingness of our supporters to accept Kennett's public displays that are antithetical to that identity. There is a culture clash there for me.

But I think the AFL is losing its way on the whole. So many changes have been made that the supporters have no say in, and never wanted, and that reduce our enjoyment, and reduce the will of people to attend the footy. For example:
-New recording of AFL CLub songs - Mid Season Draft / Trading - Trying to censure fan behavior for booing/chanting - Wildcard final -Twilight Grand Final - Untested Rule changes: Hands in the back, 50 meter penalty-play on, deliberate out of bounds, ruck nomination, 30 second shot clock, etc etc etc etc
- Music at the footy during breaks - Removal of the reserve game before the match
- NG Academies - Father Sons that qualify for Acadmies - Team banners made of plastic that are really just curtains - 3 Sunday games - Ch 7's hokey commentary, which is universally hated. Fox not much better
- The umpire micraphones, hearing the whistles after every mark, the umpires say "hold, hold... one meter", at the cost of crowd noise/atmosphere on the telecast - Draft selection held over 2 days
- AFLX etc etc etc

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it doesn’t seem to be a phrase thrown around much at AFL house

Jokes aside, WC has a very polarised base.

Some are great, lots are awful. All very passionate at games and go hard in defence of the club, which from just a sports perspective is great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back