How do you see your fellow supporter base?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty fair assessment.

The WC supporter base is basically half of Perth. And I don't mean half of the people in Perth who follow footy, I mean half of the entire city. It's massive and varies from 85 year old grannies with knitting needles who think it's PC gone mad that they can't call NicNat 'that n-word with the funny hair', to real estate developers and wealth portfolio managers from Nedlands to flanno wearing bogans who drive up from Bunbury every other week and drink a carton of Bundy on the way. It's probably the most diverse supporter base in the comp, while also being from WA so also not very diverse at all... :)

I do get a giggle out of how our supporter base is portrayed on here and in the media. We are simultaneously old grannies and theatregoing, white collar, chardonnay sippers who leave at 3/4 time and also responsible for the most intimidating atmosphere in world sport. Chris Scott wouldn't take his kids to Subiaco Oval (now Perth Stadium), too scary. What, you think Doris is going to put down the half finished dog footy jumper and launch a knitting needle at you like the Knight King in Game of Thrones?
It's an eternal grievance of coaches like Scott or Richo the WC crowd noise.

Yet, Scott looooooooves the Geelong crowd. There is some very whingey, entitled Vic based coaches for sure. Bucks to his credit, doesn't seem to be one of them.

Some of the biggest BigFooty nuffies I've come across are from my own board....
There are some absolute beauties.

But Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne, Freo, NM etc. have some belters as well. This is bigfooty. Adz is just about in a league of his own though.

It's an eternal grievance of coaches like Scott or Richo the WC crowd noise.

Yet, Scott looooooooves the Geelong crowd. There is some very whingey, entitled Vic based coaches for sure. Bucks to his credit, doesn't seem to be one of them.

I've been to the MCG, Docklands and even Kardinia Park. And I've been to Subi/Optus when the crowd is 95% against West Coast. Footy crowds really are the same Melbourne and Perth and I would assume Adelaide also. Maybe in NSW/Qld they are a bit different as they tend to be smaller and not everyone is a lifelong footy fan but paying your money to sit and eat and drink while yelling at professional athletes is pretty universal.

No crowd or stadium today has anything on the 70s and 80s or earlier. The crowd booed? Diddums. Wasn't that long ago (within my lifetime) a trip to Victoria Park meant cold showers and cans of piss being thrown.

Dunno really, I live in Melbourne now, and when I wear my gear to the game I feel it marks me out as a West Australian, so it's as much state identity as anything. There have been some accusations and jibes against Eagles fans, but we're such a diverse bunch it's not worth taking them seriously. Basically it's like hundreds of thousands of people from all walks of life who are emotionally invested - to varying degrees - in the performance of a team. Nowadays I doubt Eagles supporters are much different to any other club.

To me Crows supporters are simply 'normal' Adelaide residents but there is also a very naive element - a bunch of old people who know little about what makes a successful side. They are blindly loyal to senior, underperforming players and club officials. Often heard saying 'So proud of the boys, there's always next year.'

Because this brigade is so large in Adelaide, Adelaide Oval seats continue to sell like hot cakes regardless of the side's success. It means the club has no financial motivation to be ruthless and make hard decisions that may lead to premierships. Sorry Crows fans, but when Port fans say that the club treats us like money-making customers instead of passionate supporters, they are right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our supporter base is too broad and varied really to put a blanket description on. From the toff 25 year seated members hailing from Perths Western suburbs to the cashed up bogans who inhabit the pilbara or goldfields, to low end of the socio economic ladder of those from places like Armadale, there are white fellas, blackfellas, new arrivals, Vietnamese etc etc who barrack for the club and you see wearing West Coast colours.
LNP conservatives to life long labor supporters.
Many are blinded to reason on game day by the love of their team, a lot are chilled and many are too manic.
It's a team that represents a vast area I guess and given we share the state with just one other club it makes sense our fan base is a real mish mash.
One thing though is their is a very real and passionate engagement to varying degrees of our fans.

Tend to overrate our current standing in the league. Many think we're always a chance of landing every big name free agent and have blind faith in Clarko.

A contradiction. We have some of the most conservative people in Australia following us as well as some of the most progressive. We have some of the most diehard supporters as well as bandwagoners a-plenty. We have some of the most genuinely intelligent supporters as well as some whose shoe size outranks their IQ. I've met lawyers who are hardcore Hawthorn fans and met people in some of the more well known high energy Australian punk bands who are Hawthorn supporters.

This would be the case with every team I guess.

The one thing I would note is just about every Hawthorn supporter I meet is a member. Don't necessarily go to lots of games but will take out a membership. I reckon this is a combination of skewing towards the higher end of the socio-economic scale as well as the threat of the merger still hanging over the club 23 years later.

Ayy lmao you know the one I'm talking about, camera always zooms into him.

Saw him before the Pies v Port game a few weeks back. Bloke's in a wheelchair and footy is basically his life....if that didn't shine through lol

I do notice a divide between the old crew who would have been at Moorabbin, and younger supporters. The former tend to be much more accepting of decisions the club makes and the recent mediocrity. Noticed the same thing with my old man, he still thinks Richo is going to come good!

Younger generation seem more willing to question as the club was a contender for a lot of their formative years. Nevertheless i dont begrduge those who have been fans longer than me, even if I don't agree with them . Theres something romantic about being a rusted on supporter of a side that is often terrible.

Last edited:
We still have a lot of entitled supporters with no idea what a rebuild entails. They expect teenagers to be up to speed immediately and believe should not tall about anything football related until they can win games, like the off field stuff the corporate staff do somehow takes away from our resources and time best put towards playing and coaching.

BigFooty is a little more patient but we do have our share of facebook posters who can't say anything nice until we are back in the 70s and 80s winning flags to validate their lives.

I do notice a divide between the old crew who would have been at Moorabbin, and younger supporters. The former tend to be much more accepting of decisions the club makes and the recent mediocrity. Noticed the same thing with my old man, he still thinks Richo is going to come good!

Younger generation seem more willing to question as the club was a contender for a lot of their formative years. Nevertheless i dont begrduge those who have been fans longer than me, even if I don't agree with them . Theres something romantic about being a rusted on supporter of a side that is often terrible.
That just sounds like young people full stop. *en so impatient. Young Hawks supporters have the foresight of half a flea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back