How does Cadman compare to other no1 draft picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s almost AFL ready at 91kg already, he was the most dominant KPF in the draft by a long way too. Nothing wrong with him at #1. If it works out, lovely, if it doesn’t I’m not gonna s**t on the Giants for this one. He would’ve been gone within the 5 anyway.

Q

Why do I get the feeling that you created this thread mainly for some kind of later /hindsight validation and or credit for being some football mystic if he doesn't have an immediate game changing impact in his first season or two at AFL level.

I wouldn't have picked him at pick 1 myself (esp given as a Carlton supporter) but i can totally understand the Giants rationale who are playing the long game (they need another decent, franchise KPF) and given their exodus,had the trade collateral to trade up for him.

I think North would have taken him with one of their top 3 picks if he was still on the board tbh
Honestly just created the thread to gather thoughts on his selection. No agenda.

Honestly just created the thread to gather thoughts on his selection. No agenda.

If that is your intention, I apologise.

I don't think we will ses him have a significant or immediate impact at AFL level for a couple of seasons, no one can honestly say or fairly compare him to other number 1 picks over the course of the National Draft (which has been something of a poisoned chalice)

I don't think GWS will have any regrets about trading up for and picking Cadman with pick 1.

They are pretty damn good at this talent identification and recruiting business.

in a year without a clear number 1, and a team who were both looking for his type and could afford to trade up, it's not a surprise

problem with the #1 billing is you get compared to the rest of the draft and the quality.
in this case, did GWS need or want any more mids vs. a KPF. question arises did they need to trade up for him, but they did so to avoid the risk of not having who they wanted at 3.

I would have taken Sheezel ahead of him for Carlton, but he's not far off the best kid and people smarter than I have deemed him the best.

I think he'll be a fine CHF in time. Let's give him a chance.
Nah this is big footy and social media LoL.

The moment a poor soul gets taken at pick 1, they are sadly slaughtered from pillar to post lol

I’m confident he will have a better career than

Boyd
McCartin
Patton
I feel for all 3.

Misfortune in each case, be it injury, concussion or memtal health.

Boyd did help win a flag though.

Ever since the Buddy/Roughy draft though, I feel like clubs are far more likely to take a risk on a tall at pick 1, out of fear of missing a generational talent.

This was probably compounded a little, by a known commidity in Darling being let slip just a few years later.

Ever since, the expansion clubs have led a charge to take the best KPF as early as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I, for one, think he will in 2023 surpass every other former number 1 pick in terms of dick pics, gambling, concussions, premiership medals, rails, and swimming with ****.

There's no comparison, really. He's way out in front.
Understand this post is dripping in sarcasm.
However, GWS picked him based on his ability and his character.

Tough gig for the first pick in the draft to live up to expectations. He may not get there as talls have a higher than average failure rate.

But the giants knew what they wanted and he’s got really good grounding to succeed.

I feel for all 3.

Misfortune in each case, be it injury, concussion or memtal health.

Boyd did help win a flag though.

Ever since the Buddy/Roughy draft though, I feel like clubs are far more likely to take a risk on a tall at pick 1, out of fear of missing a generational talent.

This was probably compounded a little, by a known commidity in Darling being let slip just a few years later.

Ever since, the expansion clubs have led a charge to take the best KPF as early as possible.

Don't feel for Patton. He is an awful person who in hindsight I am glad crashed and fell on his face.

Eagles likely would've picked him if we kept 2 and he was guaranteed to get there. As it is, they decided to sit the pick due to uncertainty around him going 1 or not. Put a fair amount of work into him.

Understand this post is dripping in sarcasm.
However, GWS picked him based on his ability and his character.

Tough gig for the first pick in the draft to live up to expectations. He may not get there as talls have a higher than average failure rate.

But the giants knew what they wanted and he’s got really good grounding to succeed.

I hope he does...I hope they all do.

Another potentially great player the Giants will ruin then trade in 5 years when he's a shell of himself. How many superstars of the competition have GWS robbed us of in their short history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back