Roast How does Damian Barrett still have AFL Media accreditation?

Remove this Banner Ad

So i see this one jump up on social media:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/da...pQxSNYtqBxDIz_aK9s4WKVj_TQxViQrHQ3LIIo78rcgZw

how in the hell does this guy still have his AFL Media accreditation, let alone, his employment by the AFL?

he is openly bullshitting and attacking a club General Manager without any repercussion. we can't stand for this as a club and is something the AFL has to act on.

i mean even the "he's been there a minute" comment. Lethlean had been at the club for a full season before the club made the Hanneberry trade. i know he's being flippant, but you know what it's still one more minute than Barrett has been there!

he should have shut up the moment the Swans replied to his comments, let alone Lethlean's response.

but nah he replies and in doing so implies Hanneberry has been off the rails in the off-season just gone...

surely our club will make a public statement and take this further with AFLHQ! you cannot have an AFL employee openly slandering the club! massive conflict of interest, the governing body making money from our existence, is then paying someone to cause reputational damage to the club! it just beggars belief. i mean what other business operates that way?

Let's just hope he (Barrett) is wrong!

To be fair, I thought it was a horrible deal when I heard about it. Lether's is very good mates with Hanner's old man, I believe his old man got him his gig at Old Xav's back in the day which probably started his journey towards the AFL.

I have also heard about Hanner's having a "good off-season". Enough for me to think there's no way we'll get $800k a year worth out of him.

The deal was a very very risky one and lots of water to go under the bridge before you can say it's successful but it won't take much to say it's not.

I'd actually believe Barrett's take on this especially seeing as how keen Sydney were to offload him.
Really who cares if the guys gets wiped out on his time off , by the sounds his been like that for years .
We all know Hannerbery was let go due salary cap problems for the Swans and he wasn't performing due to injury and they must of figured they had got the best out of him.
We got him because we wanted another leader and they have backed him in to get him on the park , If we can get him on the park he will be a bonus to the squad and by what people on here have noticed at training he has been very vocal and a leader.

Barrett was the same guy who canned Carlisle

Very easy for these media types to s///can a player , but what Barrett is doing is burning his bridges , noway would the Swans would like him saying that they fell off there chairs from laughter when he was selected in our leadership group when he was vice captain for the Swans last year.

He wound up Mcquire at the Magpies about rumors about players and who also dreaded up crap in the Dogs camp - now he is trying to get in the news by attacking a player - not a very nice guy.

We now have a multi All Australian in our squad which we don't have , a leader , by all accounts a good bloke and if he gets on the park a very damaging player that we need.
Remember we had excess cap space - we would lose if we didn't use it , front load his contract and no problems.
We have taken a gamble and we knew that , if he gets on the park it will be a bonus.
If he a flop he will not be the only one that has not worked out for us.

I will also say that if you knew Lethers, you'd know what a joke he thinks the guy is. Water off a ducks back, I'd be surprised if he replies to it. Got better things to do.

The only thing was suprised Lethers should have responded .

Didn’t you & Craig Hutchison on the 2nd of October admit that you were recorded in error going through
script of what of stories you would make up on trade radio .

Sorry I can’t hear anything Purple ...

As for now just ignore these guys .

Really who cares if the guys gets wiped out on his time off , by the sounds his been like that for years .
We all know Hannerbery was let go due salary cap problems for the Swans and he wasn't performing due to injury and they must of figured they had got the best out of him.
We got him because we wanted another leader and they have backed him in to get him on the park , If we can get him on the park he will be a bonus to the squad and by what people on here have noticed at training he has been very vocal and a leader.

Barrett was the same guy who canned Carlisle

Very easy for these media types to s///can a player , but what Barrett is doing is burning his bridges , noway would the Swans would like him saying that they fell off there chairs from laughter when he was selected in our leadership group when he was vice captain for the Swans last year.

He wound up Mcquire at the Magpies about rumors about players and who also dreaded up crap in the Dogs camp - now he is trying to get in the news by attacking a player - not a very nice guy.

We now have a multi All Australian in our squad which we don't have , a leader , by all accounts a good bloke and if he gets on the park a very damaging player that we need.
Remember we had excess cap space - we would lose if we didn't use it , front load his contract and no problems.
We have taken a gamble and we knew that , if he gets on the park it will be a bonus.
If he a flop he will not be the only one that has not worked out for us.

Couldn't care less what Barrett thinks, but to say if he gets on the park it will be a bonus is just wrong 5 years 4 mill we need to be better then that, we won 4 games last year and can't keep giving up draft picks on guys that don't play if we do we will continue to win 4 games a season.

Hanna needs to play most weeks or the club will cop it off the media and rightly so.
lets hope he shoves it up Barrett

Couldn't care less what Barrett thinks, but to say if he gets on the park it will be a bonus is just wrong 5 years 4 mill we need to be better then that, we won 4 games last year and can't keep giving up draft picks on guys that don't play if we do we will continue to win 4 games a season.

Hanna needs to play most weeks or the club will cop it off the media and rightly so.
Mow have you gone down the club yet for that talk , I'm interested what they say - and don't mention about sacking Richo

**** Barrett - he is a horrible little worm of a man.

Hope Lethlean doesn’t keep the war of words going but he has a quiet word with the AFL, if he feels that is required.

Will be interesting to see if any non-AFL affiliated media outlet runs with the story that this is the equivalent of the AFL self harming. Of course the actual ‘war of words’ between the 2 of them is a much bigger story for trashy journalism.

I’m torn here between being an advocate of free speech and Damian Barrett having a licence to write what he wants.

Last edited:
Barrett basically has to come out like this as his position as "greatest newsbreaker in the AFL" or whatever garbage they come up with on the Footyshow has been overshadowed recently. Mostly by Tom Browne who unfortunately goes for the low hanging fruit but at least it seems to be truthful.

So he is on the defensive and chose one of the blacklisted clubs to have an easy go at. Like or hate Lethelan, he IS a strong personality, although coming from AFL house you would think Daaaaamo would know that.

For a supposed journalist he consistently butchers the English language - his last two paragraphs do not actually make sense.
In any case his point is also ridiculous, since Lethlean"s duration of being at Saints is barely relevant - having knowledge of and having scouted the Swans is of course more important. Having in-depth knowledge of the Saints doesn't help you know a thing about Hannebery.

For what it's worth I actually do think it was a ridiculous reach for a trade and we've overpaid, but after missing on attempted recruits for 2 off seasons I think the club couldn't make it 3. So they had to pay him more money than they should, for longer than they should. And if you gave the board etc truth serum I think they'd admit that. But what can we do, we're in a hole, got to try change things somehow even if it costs.
His journalistic ability though is beyond laughable.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I dislike rumour-mongers. These people get off by making a connection like a conspiracy theorist, then believing it is true because everyone denies it.
Purple is a typical rumour-monger in that he sees himself as someone important, and he espouses his self-deception as revelation to the unwashed.
I wish the whole breed would die off and their gene pool never again pollutes humanity with its taint

It's a bit of a nothing issue to me. I mean really, who cares what he says. He spews the same s**t and then people get outraged by it all the time - I think that's actually what he wants.

He was blacklisted from the club years ago along with the Western Bulldogs for his stoush with Luke Beveridge.

I don't pay any attention to him. He is not a credible journalist. Credible journalists don't behave in this way.

No idea why his crap gets posted on this board too if I'm honest. All it does is keep him in a job. He makes outlandish statements because he is irrelevant and wants people to view and comment on his work, positive or negative.

He doesn't care if he tarnishes other people's reputations, evidenced by his Koschitzke and Dempster run ins in the past.

He has no respect for other journalists doing a great job in the industry evidenced by the s**t he writes.

I would completely disregard him and get on with it. C'mon, are we really going to get upset about what someone like DAMIAN BARRETT has to say about us? :tearsofjoy:
I understand your logic but I’d rather we whacked the little weasel and keep whacking him every time he pokes his pathetic head up. Sure, he might benefit but it sends a clear message we are the saints, we love our own and we are proud!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dislike rumour-mongers. These people get off by making a connection like a conspiracy theorist, then believing it is true because everyone denies it.
Purple is a typical rumour-monger in that he sees himself as someone important, and he espouses his self-deception as revelation to the unwashed.
I wish the whole breed would die off and their gene pool never again pollutes humanity with its taint
As long a there is a gutter Damo will have a home.

The bonus in all this is we have acquired a ready made leader, who evidently has already made an impact on the playing group in the pre season. Also when he gets onto the park, could Barretts words have given him more reason to show his class. Hopefully his comments come back to bite him on the arse & then Lethers can mention this further down the track.

I will own to being a big doubter about Satan's worth to us.
Seeing him as being way overqualified for his role.
However, I do like the idea of an unter dog pissing on the territory of an uber dog, then the uber dog pissing on the unter dog.
Just to put him in his place.
I'm beginning to come round to liking the Satan.

I will own to being a big doubter about Satan's worth to us.
Seeing him as being way overqualified for his role.
However, I do like the idea of an unter dog pissing on the territory of an uber dog, then the uber dog pissing on the unter dog.
Just to put him in his place.
I'm beginning to come round to liking the Satan.

Agree with you on the over-qualified and I was skeptical at first.

But the way I see it is, he is trying to rebuild his reputation after the *cough* 2 consenting adults 'scandal' a couple of years ago and if he does leave us for a bigger job then it means that he will have to be leaving us in a better state than when he arrived. We're lucky to have him.

Cmon guys sliding doors is a great weekly read. Purple always has something positive to say about the Saints there 🤣
IF: I have something nice to say about St Kilda.
THEN: Theyre not doing thier job properly

It's a bit of a nothing issue to me. I mean really, who cares what he says. He spews the same s**t and then people get outraged by it all the time - I think that's actually what he wants.
I would completely disregard him and get on with it. C'mon, are we really going to get upset about what someone like DAMIAN BARRETT has to say about us? :tearsofjoy:

Exactly. He's footy's Andrew Bolt. Paid to stir.

From day 1, I said Hanners would be a game changer behind the scenes. He'd be a leader during training, he'd set the standard. At this point, he's far from a bust.

He absolutely needs to get on the field to back up his words though. I'm beyond stoked we've got the guy, as I've said countless times. I'm the biggest Hanners fanboy out there, but if he's injured for 4 years and can't do anything, I have no doubts he will have at least shaped some attitudes from the younger guys. Will he have been worth the money in that case? Probably not. But it's better than paying overs for underperforming players for 4 years.

Hanners was an instant injection of leadership. His credentials speak for themselves. It's important he plays footy for us, but he doesn't need to play 100 games for us to be a good trade.

For a supposed journalist he consistently butchers the English language - his last two paragraphs do not actually make sense.
In any case his point is also ridiculous, since Lethlean"s duration of being at Saints is barely relevant - having knowledge of and having scouted the Swans is of course more important. Having in-depth knowledge of the Saints doesn't help you know a thing about Hannebery.

For what it's worth I actually do think it was a ridiculous reach for a trade and we've overpaid, but after missing on attempted recruits for 2 off seasons I think the club couldn't make it 3. So they had to pay him more money than they should, for longer than they should. And if you gave the board etc truth serum I think they'd admit that. But what can we do, we're in a hole, got to try change things somehow even if it costs.
His journalistic ability though is beyond laughable.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
You could make the same criticism of 95% of sports journalists in Australia, at least football journalists. It's a joke that these people are paid professionals and yet their grasp of basic English language rules is so poor. It doesn't say much for the editing staff of these media organs that no one recognises the many errors or is bothered to change them, and it's only got worse since portable online devices with autocorrect have been used in the field. I have lost count of the number of times I've seen typos in the media where it's clear that the mistake came from mis-recognised voice dictation or autocorrect selecting the wrong homophone (eg: there/their/they're). How no one spots those when they are so obvious beggars belief.

Then again, perhaps quality and standards were the only possible sacrifice for a faster/instant news cycle, and most people don't care.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shake my fist at some clouds.

You could make the same criticism of 95% of sports journalists in Australia, at least football journalists. It's a joke that these people are paid professionals and yet their grasp of basic English language rules is so poor. It doesn't say much for the editing staff of these media organs that no one recognises the many errors or is bothered to change them, and it's only got worse since portable online devices with autocorrect have been used in the field. I have lost count of the number of times I've seen typos in the media where it's clear that the mistake came from mis-recognised voice dictation or autocorrect selecting the wrong homophone (eg: there/their/they're). How no one spots those when they are so obvious beggars belief.

Then again, perhaps quality and standards were the only possible sacrifice for a faster/instant news cycle, and most people don't care.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shake my fist at some clouds.

Part of it is the news cycle needs stories up instantly to get first hits and then google gives them top listing. No time to * about with grammar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back