Roast How does Damian Barrett still have AFL Media accreditation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch this space.
Can I come back to it later?

Nothing much is happening, just a white rectangle with three words and a full stop. Quite boring to watch to be honest.

Plus I'll miss our JLT match if I keep watching this space

Comment about purple and co on SEN this morning "How much red wine do they drink when they make those podcasts "?

Barrett had been talking about star players salaries.
Apparently the star players are only earning around three times the average, and since the average includes the first year players , they should get much more. In an ideal ( salary cap free , in his view ) world, Nat Fyfe would be earning $8mill per year, because people only go to the footy to see the Stars.
( would be interesting to see Sydney attendance figures, with/without Buddy ).

Yes purple its more than the Prime Minister earns.
No doubt Purple would then proceed to bag out the club administrators for failing to attract the huge sponsorship they would need under his scheme.

Sponsorship is a huge issue in Australia. For example, last year, $50 from every Holden went to Collingwood, while the company itself is operating in the red.
( Now if i was buying a Holden, i'd prefer free mats than Collingwood getting one cent )
There simply are not a lot of huge companies to benefit from such deals.

To be fair, I thought it was a horrible deal when I heard about it. Lether's is very good mates with Hanner's old man, I believe his old man got him his gig at Old Xav's back in the day which probably started his journey towards the AFL.

I have also heard about Hanner's having a "good off-season". Enough for me to think there's no way we'll get $800k a year worth out of him.

The deal was a very very risky one and lots of water to go under the bridge before you can say it's successful but it won't take much to say it's not.

I'd actually believe Barrett's take on this especially seeing as how keen Sydney were to offload him.

Sydney were keen to offload him because they wanted to offload some senior players to start running their younger mids through the midfield. Its pure List development, or they'll fall off a cliff in a year or two.

Journos at Fairfax are under pressure, Fairfax merged with Channel 9 because they are shrinking.

Nowadays when journos claim sources, they could very well be sources of the anonymous kind or the unreliable kind or the social media kind. His source could have very well been Saintsational.

A source close to Saints BF apparently said that Barrett is an #IPF
:moustache:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really who cares if the guys gets wiped out on his time off , by the sounds his been like that for years .
We all know Hannerbery was let go due salary cap problems for the Swans and he wasn't performing due to injury and they must of figured they had got the best out of him.
We got him because we wanted another leader and they have backed him in to get him on the park , If we can get him on the park he will be a bonus to the squad and by what people on here have noticed at training he has been very vocal and a leader.

Barrett was the same guy who canned Carlisle

Very easy for these media types to s///can a player , but what Barrett is doing is burning his bridges , noway would the Swans would like him saying that they fell off there chairs from laughter when he was selected in our leadership group when he was vice captain for the Swans last year.

He wound up Mcquire at the Magpies about rumors about players and who also dreaded up crap in the Dogs camp - now he is trying to get in the news by attacking a player - not a very nice guy.

We now have a multi All Australian in our squad which we don't have , a leader , by all accounts a good bloke and if he gets on the park a very damaging player that we need.
Remember we had excess cap space - we would lose if we didn't use it , front load his contract and no problems.
We have taken a gamble and we knew that , if he gets on the park it will be a bonus.
If he a flop he will not be the only one that has not worked out for us.
Apparently Hannebery is now at least 6 weeks away from playing according to Richo if I heard him correctly on SEN - His body has to be "re-built".

I don't care how good his "training standards" or "leadership qualities" are, if he's not getting on the park there is no way in hell he is worth for $800k a year. Not only do you have to get on the park, you have to be able to perform for $800k. The AFL isn't a charity, being loud and training hard doesn't get you a gig. If training standards aren't up to scratch, bring in a training standards coach for $100k.

There were lots of free agents available during the trade period. I'd like to know why they limited themselves to just Hannebery well before the trade period even began. I suspect it had something to do with Leather's relationship with his old man. Essentially we ruled ourselves out of many opportunities as a result.

Scully would have been a much better risk/reward for $800k than hannerbery every day of the week.

Apparently Hannebery is now at least 6 weeks away from playing according to Richo if I heard him correctly on SEN - His body has to be "re-built".

I don't care how good his "training standards" or "leadership qualities" are, if he's not getting on the park there is no way in hell he is worth for $800k a year. Not only do you have to get on the park, you have to be able to perform for $800k. The AFL isn't a charity, being loud and training hard doesn't get you a gig. If training standards aren't up to scratch, bring in a training standards coach for $100k.

There were lots of free agents available during the trade period. I'd like to know why they limited themselves to just Hannebery well before the trade period even began. I suspect it had something to do with Leather's relationship with his old man. Essentially we ruled ourselves out of many opportunities as a result.

Scully would have been a much better risk/reward for $800k than hannerbery every day of the week.

Yeah we were stupid getting a player who won't play round 1.
Can't wait to see Scully in action this weekend.

Yeah we were stupid getting a player who won't play round 1.
Can't wait to see Scully in action this weekend.
Where did I mention round 1? Won't be at least till round 4 in the VFL, so probably round 6 at the earliest for AFL appearance.

Scully tipped to return in 2 weeks time.

Andt Scully doesn't need to be "rebuilt".

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-22/saints-resigned-to-rebuilding-sore-former-swan

"Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn't."

"We did know we were getting a bloke that we needed, to some extent, rebuild, but probably not to this extent."

Do you think their Due Diligence was impactyed by Lether's and his one-eyed-ness in signing a good mate's son?

I'm guessing we won't see hannebery until, at the earliest, round 8.

The AFL pays for Hanners $800k, not the club. So there's no problem there.

The $100k for the extra coach would be paid by the club, and his name is Billy Slater. So there's no problem here either.

And Scully didn't want to come to our club. The same as every top player we've wanted in the last decade excluding Jake.

Last edited:
The AFL pays for Hanners $800k, not the club. So there's no problem there.

The $100k for the extra coach would be paid by the club, and his name is Billy Slater. So there's phoblem here either.

And Scully didn't want to come to our club. The same as every top player we've wanted in the last decade excluding Jake.
The $800k comez out of the clubs salary cap.

Please lets not make out that $800k over 4 +1 years to a cellar dweller club is meaningless.

Please lets not make out that $800k over 4 +1 years to a cellar dweller club is meaningless.
I'm not saying it is Skid. There just seems to be some misunderstands crept in lately about how the system works. Players wages are funded by the league not the club. The club manages the payments to fall within the caps.
I thought peeps would know that already.

We’ve stockpiled salary cap space for years and haven’t landed a big fish. You actually have to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap as a rule by the AFL.

This isn’t money that could be used to pay down debt. I’d rather have Hanners than to pay overs for some of our underperforming players in order to meet the minimum spend required.

Chaz you are correct.

Scully flat out said he did not want to come to our club

NEXT

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where did I mention round 1? Won't be at least till round 4 in the VFL, so probably round 6 at the earliest for AFL appearance.

Scully tipped to return in 2 weeks time.

Andt Scully doesn't need to be "rebuilt".

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-22/saints-resigned-to-rebuilding-sore-former-swan

"Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn't."

"We did know we were getting a bloke that we needed, to some extent, rebuild, but probably not to this extent."

Do you think their Due Diligence was impactyed by Lether's and his one-eyed-ness in signing a good mate's son?

I'm guessing we won't see hannebery until, at the earliest, round 8.
The SL factor is a huge worry in this have said a couple times the Swans knew he was cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back