Roast How does Damian Barrett still have AFL Media accreditation?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most people who you are calling out on this think along the lines I think. That is, we know a minimum amount needs to be spent, but we believe that additional contracts can be front loaded for existing players to reach the minimum, and then we expect that we have even greater cap space in future years, which we hope will help us more than overpaying a new player now.

I am not including Hanner's in this conversation. I am just stating as a general principle.

I may be wrong with regard to whether the above can be achieved, for example, maybe the AFL don't allow us to create additional cap space that way, but regardless, I, and likely others, understand that there is a minimum spend.

I reckon the guys who can see all the numbers know all the rules and restrictions and took them all into consideration before deciding what to pay the players this year. I reckon they've got a good handle on what they're going to pay each player next year and the year after that too.

I reckon the guys who can see all the numbers know all the rules and restrictions and took them all into consideration before deciding what to pay the players this year. I reckon they've got a good handle on what they're going to pay each player next year and the year after that too.

I agree 100% that the decision makers at the coalface are taking everything into account, and have a good handle on their options, and what each action actually costs us. At the same time, they are assuming that Hanners gets on the park at some stage, and can influence things on field over the next 4 years.

When someone questions the sensibility of getting Hanners, which is a fair question, that poster will get shot down that they don't understand that the money had to be spent, and then stating or implying that the decision still stacks up.

I am one who from day one preferred we not get Hanners, and think that over the next 4 years it will work against us more than for us, but whatever, I get behind the club and Hanners from herein.

I am just trying to understand what the alternatives were re: salary cap, so that I have a grasp on the
'"opportunity cost" of spending all that money on Hanners.

I agree 100% that the decision makers at the coalface are taking everything into account, and have a good handle on their options, and what each action actually costs us. At the same time, they are assuming that Hanners gets on the park at some stage, and can influence things on field over the next 4 years.

When someone questions the sensibility of getting Hanners, which is a fair question, that poster will get shot down that they don't understand that the money had to be spent, and then stating or implying that the decision still stacks up.

I am one who from day one preferred we not get Hanners, and think that over the next 4 years it will work against us more than for us, but whatever, I get behind the club and Hanners from herein.

I am just trying to understand what the alternatives were re: salary cap, so that I have a grasp on the
'"opportunity cost" of spending all that money on Hanners.
Quite clearly the opportunity cost is not spending that money on alternative(s), whom ever they are.
The trouble arises because we cannot define those alternative(s) from the outside.
You would hope those inside the club (primarily Satan and Moneybags) are both sufficiently educated and switched on to bring the “opportunity cost” concept into their decision making.

BTW: top effort introducing “opportunity cost” onto a footy forum. I give you 9 from 10.

Sliding Doors
Melbourne

there is a good cause behind the Demons' decision to run through a banner of mean tweets against Essendon tonight ...

we get why they're doing it. But we don't like it, and are tiring of the highlighting of mean tweets. Widespread public recognition in any form is actually what those faceless low-lifes and losers most crave, and running through this banner won't change a thing.

my god the #%#ing irony

Sliding Doors
Melbourne

there is a good cause behind the Demons' decision to run through a banner of mean tweets against Essendon tonight ...

we get why they're doing it. But we don't like it, and are tiring of the highlighting of mean tweets. Widespread public recognition in any form is actually what those faceless low-lifes and losers most crave, and running through this banner won't change a thing.

my god the #%#ing irony

What a complete lack of self awareness. Like many narcissists he projects his own worst qualities onto others he dislikes. IPF. 👎

#IPF.

IF North lose the first 3 games of 2019

THEN I'm jumping on the Saints train

For someone who everyone seems to hate and not rate anything he writes we sure do spend a lot of time talking about him and giving him a lot of attention, which is exactly what he wants
would be p155ing himself laughing at this thread

I think most people who you are calling out on this think along the lines I think. That is, we know a minimum amount needs to be spent, but we believe that additional contracts can be front loaded for existing players to reach the minimum, and then we expect that we have even greater cap space in future years, which we hope will help us more than overpaying a new player now.

I am not including Hanner's in this conversation. I am just stating as a general principle.

I may be wrong with regard to whether the above can be achieved, for example, maybe the AFL don't allow us to create additional cap space that way, but regardless, I, and likely others, understand that there is a minimum spend.
Have wondered about the front ending a fair bit. Would love to know more. Are you only limited by how much players would prefer not to front end (say, a tax disincentive) and the risk that it creates for us (the old Beams effort of taking front ended money then walking out when it drops)?

Or are there more rules?

Just named Hunter ******* Clark, a second year player who’s played 15 games, as the Saints who “needs to lift”.

FMD. What a germ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just named Hunter ******* Clark, a second year player who’s played 15 games, as the Saints who “needs to lift”.

FMD. What a germ.
I thought that was a real dumbass choice too, could've taken a gimme and said Sincs or Dunstan but instead picks a kid off the back off one game.

I thought that was a real dumbass choice too, could've taken a gimme and said Sincs or Dunstan but instead picks a kid off the back off one game.
Who wasn't that bad at that. Purple is just a grub, a germ, a mutt, a piece of s**t.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Hunter Clark probably does want to lift because players taken around him are going so well. We never seem to get players that hit the ground running but he's looking a heap ahead of Coffield. I'd personally be more worried that he can't make the bests in the VFL.

Anyway, hopefully Hunts sticks it up Purple's arse this week, fired up by the flog.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Hunter Clark probably does want to lift because players taken around him are going so well. We never seem to get players that hit the ground running but he's looking a heap ahead of Coffield. I'd personally be more worried that he can't make the bests in the VFL.

Anyway, hopefully Hunts sticks it up Purple's arse this week, fired up by the flog.
Just don't understand the Coff situation.
WTF is going on with him?

Just don't understand the Coff situation.
WTF is going on with him?

It's a worry but he's still young.

I don't know the back story but i hope whatever it is that's holding him back gets rectified quick smart. He's too talented to not have in the team.

It's a worry but he's still young.

I don't know the back story but i hope whatever it is that's holding him back gets rectified quick smart. He's too talented to not have in the team.
Agree totally.
Could easily be top 6 or 7 at Saints imo.

pLBHbnE.jpg

No booing everyone. It upsets purple.

pLBHbnE.jpg

No booing everyone. It upsets purple.

I never really noticed booing much at footy, until the national contest and West Coast.
Memory could fail me , but i mainly remember cheering at good stuff, maybe the occasional boo if someone did a real dog act.

West coast games at home, suddenly had this wall to wall booing , against opposition players who played well and it spread from there.
I agree with purple on this one.

I never really noticed booing much at footy, until the national contest and West Coast.
Memory could fail me , but i mainly remember cheering at good stuff, maybe the occasional boo if someone did a real dog act.

West coast games at home, suddenly had this wall to wall booing , against opposition players who played well and it spread from there.

I agree when a player plays well it's pretty dumb. Most booing is because of a dog act like when Brayshaw got his head caved in by Gaff. I can 100% guarantee that there is absolutely no way to control it. Someone like Purple coming out and saying it's s**t might actually make people think it's a good idea. It's like the devil's endorsement.

I think you’re right. I can’t recall booing much if at all. It tended to be individuals yelling out, which could sometimes be funny. Apparently, it took West Coast a long time to perfect something as complex as synchronised booing...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back