How does Garry Lyon get to take top billing in On The Couch?

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Honestly if it wasn't for Healy West Coast and Freo wouldn't get mentioned at all, across pretty much any AFL affiliated show. A few years ago Footy Classified dedicated something like 4 minutes in 20 odd hours of one entire season to the Eagles, I know they are different shows but **** I'm glad someone is carrying some sort of flag for us on TV, even if most of it is trivial and lacking proper analysis compared to most of the Victorian teams

many WA football supporters including me see not getting talked about in Melbourne as a good thing.Really don't want it or need it.Though there are Eagles supporters in Melbourne who would appreciate Healy having an interest.I don't mind him.Not a Gary Lyon fan however.He can presume I'm not watching.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
many WA football supporters including me see not getting talked about in Melbourne as a good thing.Really don't want it or need it.Though there are Eagles supporters in Melbourne who would appreciate Healy having an interest.I don't mind him.Not a Gary Lyon fan however.He can presume I'm not watching.
I agree about not getting talked about in Melbourne, the last place I would want West Coast name mentioned mid season is in the Herald Sun. I'm referring to so called national football shows that Sunday Footy Show, Talking Footy, On the Couch, Footy Classified et al claim to be. They aren't Victorian centric in their programming, but they sure as hell in their structure/hosting and panelling, and we in the West are so starved of any positive TV coverage (on national shows) that having someone actually in your corner on the reg is so refreshing.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
He's the best of the awful talent on that show.

Healy can't stop crapping on about umpires, rules, weird irrelevant details or his fascination with the Perth teams.
Brown can barely string a sentence together. Occasionally gets a good thought but it's ruined by the delivery.
Roos has some good ideas but is so stuck in his ways it's hard to engage him on any topic.

Would actually like to see Lyon host the show with only 2 regular analysts on the couch. It's a small pool to chose from but from Fox's lineup I'd go with David King - for all his faults he at least comes up with some independent thoughts and ideally Dunstall. Rotate a 4th person on for something different
Lyon is the worst person on the show.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Because people in the industry think he’s a great performer with a proven track record

Hosted the footy show and footy classified for years showing he can mix serious and comedy

Was good on 9 doing special comments and on mmm before head hunted to a different network

Was dubbed a coach in waiting so people respect his game knowledge rightly or wrongly

Fox chased him hard when he left 9 so he’d be on a big wicket so they’re getting the most out of him

Plus on the couch he’s paired with
Healy who’s going senile
Brown who’s dumb as dog ****
Paul Roos the personality of a rock

Who else do they promote?

Lastly sleeping with your mates ex wife doesn’t make you bad at your job
He is terrible at his job though.

His main skill is being a whingey dickhead and sounding sceptical/on the fence about things. Literally adds nothing to most discussions, not even from a contrarian POV.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree about not getting talked about in Melbourne, the last place I would want West Coast name mentioned mid season is in the Herald Sun. I'm referring to so called national football shows that Sunday Footy Show, Talking Footy, On the Couch, Footy Classified et al claim to be. They aren't Victorian centric in their programming, but they sure as hell in their structure/hosting and panelling, and we in the West are so starved of any positive TV coverage (on national shows) that having someone actually in your corner on the reg is so refreshing.
It’s vic centric because more than half of the clubs are here

And coverage is never going to be equal across clubs. Carlton dominates coverage now because of their predicament. Same with Essendon over last few years

Most reporting is based on the negative. I rarely hear my club mentioned in media this year so far

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
lol, Juddy on Footy Classified gave him a good smack tonight (last night)

On The Couch

Jon Brown : "What you're saying is Chris Judd should go, he should fall on his sword?"

Gary Lyon : "They won't, they won't go. I'm holding them to account for what they say. If you back your man in unequivocally Juddy and then two weeks later you sack him, the right thing to do would be to go."

Footy Classified

Hutchy : "That's Gary Lyon tonight saying the right thing would be for you to go. You've just had a look at that for the first time, what's your take on that?"

Chris Juddy : "That's alright, Gary's entitled to his opinion, you won't be surprised that I don't look at him as a shining light on how I should act, so that's his call and so be it."

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly if it wasn't for Healy West Coast and Freo wouldn't get mentioned at all, across pretty much any AFL affiliated show. A few years ago Footy Classified dedicated something like 4 minutes in 20 odd hours of one entire season to the Eagles, I know they are different shows but **** I'm glad someone is carrying some sort of flag for us on TV, even if most of it is trivial and lacking proper analysis compared to most of the Victorian teams

How much coverage do the 16 non-WA based sides get locally in WA?

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
How much coverage do the 16 non-WA based sides get locally in WA?

The key word there is locally.

On the couch is nationally syndicated. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like people sooking about Eagles not getting coverage in the Herald Sun. But Fox Footy is a national channel (to be fair I don’t think the coverage is as bad as it is made out sometimes).

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry what ? The other show has Tim Watson as the main footy man hahaha!! So out of touch with the footy world..

Other show has juddy who has agendas and hutchY ohh dear

Gaz is miles ahead of the others.. would you rather pav? No question nick roo is being groomed to take over fox in the future

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Judd just called him out for snaking Billys wife. Gary Lyon criticizes a lot of people despite being a piece of **** himself

How dare he date a single ladie and stay with her 2 years later and move in with her and help support billys kids what a bad man!!

Billy getting kicked out pubs for hitting on 18 year olds when they were together is all good but

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How dare he date a single ladie and stay with her 2 years later and move in with her and help support billys kids what a bad man!!

Billy getting kicked out pubs for hitting on 18 year olds when they were together is all good but
Is that actual fact about Billy? How do you know this?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol, Juddy on Footy Classified gave him a good smack tonight (last night)

On The Couch

Jon Brown : "What you're saying is Chris Judd should go, he should fall on his sword?"

Gary Lyon : "They won't, they won't go. I'm holding them to account for what they say. If you back your man in unequivocally Juddy and then two weeks later you sack him, the right thing to do would be to go."

Footy Classified

Hutchy : "That's Gary Lyon tonight saying the right thing would be for you to go. You've just had a look at that for the first time, what's your take on that?"

Chris Juddy : "That's alright, Gary's entitled to his opinion, you won't be surprised that I don't look at him as a shining light on how I should act, so that's his call and so be it."

Lyon calling for Judd quit because 2 weeks after saying the coach had his full support they sacked him is the height of idiocy. One of the oldest cliches in footy is that coach is always in trouble when "they have the full support of the board", because it almost always means the opposite.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
You can't be that stupid can you?

Not living in Adelaide myself, how many footy programs are on your local stations dedicated to the Crows and Port? I know WA certainly have them for the Dockers and in particular the Eagles. I don't think I see any tv programs in Victoria dedicated to individual teams.

Perhaps WA or SA could lobby to launch their own nationally broadcast footy program / s. I notice there's a vacant slot now with the demise of The Footy Show. It wouldn't even have to be very good to be better than TFS.

In short, teams get as much or as little exposure as they deserve (or as much as the AFL allows with their fixturing, that's a whole other argument)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Lyon calling for Judd quit because 2 weeks after saying the coach had his full support they sacked him is the height of idiocy. One of the oldest cliches in footy is that coach is always in trouble when "they have the full support of the board", because it almost always means the opposite.

I have no feelings either way, I was just putting it up for consumption. Lyon hates Geelong, it must stem back to when Ablett Snr, 'confessed' to belting him and got rubbed out for it and I think Judd is an arrogant flog.

It gave me a chuckle to see two muppets having a go at each other although Judd probably shouldn't have gone the personal route. Same as on here, if you don't have a counter, attack the man.

Having said all of that, I actually don't mind Lyon as a footy analyst / commentator, there are a lot who are a lot worse. I find him easily one of the better ones.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The key word there is locally.

On the couch is nationally syndicated. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like people sooking about Eagles not getting coverage in the Herald Sun. But Fox Footy is a national channel (to be fair I don’t think the coverage is as bad as it is made out sometimes).
and how much of the national audience is tuning in from Melbourne? A bloody lot. A lot more than Perth as population here so much bigger. Like it or not, they going to tend to focus on clubs more people interested in to hear about whether it is good news or bad news. Eagles are never going to be a big talking point most weeks.It is just a reality in an audience that does not have much passion for them one way or the other.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
and how much of the national audience is tuning in from Melbourne? A bloody lot. A lot more than Perth as population here so much bigger. Like it or not, they going to tend to focus on clubs more people interested in to hear about whether it is good news or bad news. Eagles are never going to be a big talking point most weeks.It is just a reality in an audience that does not have much passion for them one way or the other.

It's a bit of that, but I also reckon it's the laziness and insularness of the journos as well. They don't know much about what's going on in the rest of the country so they don't bother reporting or talking about it. If it didn't happen in Malbun, it didn't happen attitude. There's still a lot of that incestuous 80's VFL era boys club in joke look at me I'm a legend and a bit of a dick type still in the media. When they go on about the "Footy World" I think to myself geez these guys live in a bubble.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It's a bit of that, but I also reckon it's the laziness and insularness of the journos as well.
Gary is not a journo. In fact the show is basically run by four ex-footballers. They address their football audience which they know is vast majority from Melbourne. There should be no surprise a club like Eagles is not as often on there as it would be for a local Perth audience as an example.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not living in Adelaide myself, how many footy programs are on your local stations dedicated to the Crows and Port? I know WA certainly have them for the Dockers and in particular the Eagles. I don't think I see any tv programs in Victoria dedicated to individual teams.

Fox used to (still does?) have shows dedicated to Essendon and Collingwood. Essendon's was called The Hangar.

Back