How does Garry Lyon get to take top billing in On The Couch?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Fox used to (still does?) have shows dedicated to Essendon and Collingwood. Essendon's was called The Hangar.

Yes they did, I'd be pretty confident that the clubs stumped up production costs for them, themselves. Foxtel would have been glad to have the content as the footy channel was in it's infancy.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Lyon, On The Couch.

GL : "I reckon the Eagles are the team to beat because of A, B and C.

WCE fan 1# : "We're just taking it one week at a time but Gary is a pretty astute observer of the game and has been around the traps, he'd know."
WCE fan 2# : "Too bloody right, we've been trying to tell the dumb Viccoes that all along but they don't listen."

GL : "I reckon the Eagles are no good, they won't go b2b because of A, B and C.

WCE fan 1# : "What the * would Lyon know, he's a loser who played in sides that never did anything, never had the guts to coach and rooted his mate's missus."
WCE fan 2# : "Bloody Viccoes, why do they even broadcast this s**t over here? We don't care what they think of us Sandgropers and our teams. We get everything we need from the West Australian and Eagles TV (or whatever that pre-game show is called)

Do WCE and Freo fans really need Victorians blowing smoke up their collective asses?

He's an alpha male. He takes what he wants, whether that be the top billing on a footy show or his mate's wife.

To be fair Billy is supposed tto be exactly like he is in the media in real life.

Having a fat and bald goofball of a husband who all he can talk about is froothies would get old in your late 40's early 50's.

No wonder she ran off with his mate

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Oh please they are qualified to give their opinions. Winning 5 premiershios they know what it takes. Unlike Lyon who never achieved anything.

What great heights did A.Clarkson reach in his playing career to make anyone think he'd be a successful coach?

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Gary is not a journo. In fact the show is basically run by four ex-footballers. They address their football audience which they know is vast majority from Melbourne. There should be no surprise a club like Eagles is not as often on there as it would be for a local Perth audience as an example.
How do you grow your audience, if you only play the hits.

Plus your argument doesn't stack up. They obsess over nothing clubs like Melbourne all the time. Do you really think MFC supporters represent a larger part of their viewership than WC or Adelaide.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Gary Lyon, On The Couch.

GL : "I reckon the Eagles are the team to beat because of A, B and C.

WCE fan 1# : "We're just taking it one week at a time but Gary is a pretty astute observer of the game and has been around the traps, he'd know."
WCE fan 2# : "Too bloody right, we've been trying to tell the dumb Viccoes that all along but they don't listen."

GL : "I reckon the Eagles are no good, they won't go b2b because of A, B and C.

WCE fan 1# : "What the **** would Lyon know, he's a loser who played in sides that never did anything, never had the guts to coach and rooted his mate's missus."
WCE fan 2# : "Bloody Viccoes, why do they even broadcast this **** over here? We don't care what they think of us Sandgropers and our teams. We get everything we need from the West Australian and Eagles TV (or whatever that pre-game show is called)

Do WCE and Freo fans really need Victorians blowing smoke up their collective asses?
Gary would be talking s**t (if he said that), because he knows WC are playing Sydney.

That would be a loss and a story in this hypothetical.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
To be fair Billy is supposed tto be exactly like he is in the media in real life.

Having a fat and bald goofball of a husband who all he can talk about is froothies would get old in your late 40's early 50's.

No wonder she ran off with his mate
Nobody is criticising his wife, they are criticising his "best mate" and colleague.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
There is no argument. He is not a journo.
Weird post.
WC get proportionally far less coverage than even the least consequential of Melbourne clubs.

They don't simply break down viewership by state, they do it by club. So it's not a case of the nationally syndicated media pandering to it's biggest market, is largely a case of incompetence and parochialism.

VFL minds from the executive down to producers and hosts, still can't break out of Vic centric way of thinking.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
WC get proportionally far less coverage than even the least consequential of Melbourne clubs.
Sorry, your earlier post I thought you were going on about the hosts. I see your post is now more about the audience. Fair query. Of course WC get less coverage, with vast majority of audience from Melbourne, even a club like North here are going to have more coverage as the average audience member is still more interested in what going on with a rival Vic based club than one from over other side of continent. It is just tv reality. I am not a North fan but I still more interested in what going on with other clubs I do not follow here than others from other traditional footy states. I'd love to also hear more about Gold Coast but I know I am not going too because my own interest in how Gold Coast going is an outlier to most audience that could not giving a flying * about clubs they did not grow up with and see as franchises with no history rather than football clubs that have roots deep into the league history. The audience for most part are Vic-centric whether you like it or not. They still do look at every club from time to time but we all know some clubs going to get more coverage as there is more passion both for and against certain clubs.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Sorry, your earlier post I thought you were going on about the hosts. I see your post is now more about the audience. Fair query. Of course WC get less coverage, with vast majority of audience from Melbourne, even a club like North here are going to have more coverage as the average audience member is still more interested in what going on with a rival Vic based club than one from over other side of continent. It is just tv reality. I am not a North fan but I still more interested in what going on with other clubs I do not follow here than others from other traditional footy states. I'd love to also hear more about Gold Coast but I know I am not going too because my own interest in how Gold Coast going is an outlier to most audience that could not giving a flying **** about clubs they did not grow up with and see as franchises with no history rather than football clubs that have roots deep into the league history. The audience for most part are Vic-centric whether you like it or not. They still do look at every club from time to time but we all know some clubs going to get more coverage as there is more passion both for and against certain clubs.
Do you have any evidence for this?

I strongly doubt that an inconsequential team, outside of a major scandal/run of form, would attract more eyeballs than the reigning premier which has a huge built in audience. For example I am a Victorian who follows WC closely. Couldn't give a stuff about North, or Carlton normally. Likewise Melbourne outside of their short period of great footy.

You are dead wrong on this point.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Do you have any evidence for this?

I strongly doubt that an inconsequential team, outside of a major scandal/run of form, would attract more eyeballs than the reigning premier which has a huge built in audience. For example I am a Victorian who follows WC closely. Couldn't give a stuff about North, or Carlton normally. Likewise Melbourne outside of their short period of great footy.

You are dead wrong on this point.

Entitled to your dead end opinion of something obvious.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
He was a fast runner.

Well he was after he king hit Aitken anyway.

Not for long. Dominator saw what he did and hie whacked Clarkson seconds after it.
Dominator was already suspended for fixing up Dipper in grand final weeks before but because this was meant to be just an Exhibition game overseas he was allowed to play. Crazy day all round.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Entitled to your dead end opinion of something obvious.
Entitled to your dumbass opinion, which would also make no strategic sense in trying to grow Foxfooty's audience.

One which doesn't seem to be an issue for other codes in other countries.

I guess you are a stupid guy, and whose thinking reflects some relatively stupid footy media figures. Explains a lot about the low quality of AFL coverage.

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
Oh please they are qualified to give their opinions. Winning 5 premiershios they know what it takes. Unlike Lyon who never achieved anything.
Oh please.

Tell me your joking.

You can only have an opinion IF you have won a premiership. Guess I will start listening to Jacob Townsend then.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How do you grow your audience, if you only play the hits.

Plus your argument doesn't stack up. They obsess over nothing clubs like Melbourne all the time. Do you really think MFC supporters represent a larger part of their viewership than WC or Adelaide.

The Melbourne footy media bubble clear IF it even exists ? AFL 360 !!!

For those outside Melbourne Lyon does morning radio with Tim Watson, Gerard Healy does evening radio with Matty Lloyd .... its incestuous bit like the group think we get out of Canberra (politics).
Add in Caro has a regular spot wirh Healy (Dwayne co hosts), Tom Morris appears everywhere ... lots more, just a potted overview.

Not a lot of original thought & a pre occupation with the Melbourne audience is understandable.

Back