How does Garry Lyon get to take top billing in On The Couch?

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
You can have an opinion but it will carry less weight and be wrong
Stop it, your embarrassing yourself.

So what you are saying is that opinions will only be right if you have won an AFL premiership.

Well I guess your opinion about Gary Lyon is wrong, and carries less weight, because I dare say you have never won one.

Now off you go and do your homework.

Stop it, your embarrassing yourself.

So what you are saying is that opinions will only be right if you have won an AFL premiership.

Well I guess your opinion about Gary Lyon is wrong, and carries less weight, because I dare say you have never won one.

Now off you go and do your homework.

My opinion is of Lyon himself. He is unqualified to be the holier than thou mouthpiece.

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Paul Roos is so much worse, talks the most obvious comments as if he is speaking gospel that he has invented and is enlightening us all...
And puts that voice wow, hard to describe but hard to have....

atlaser

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would'nt mind seeing Mick Malthouse on the Couch, one of the few people who actually makes you think.

Seconded, would like to see moreof him in the media. Interesting bloke in contrast to 90% of the ex footy gyppers who bore you to sleep

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Seconded, would like to see moreof him in the media. Interesting bloke in contrast to 90% of the ex footy gyppers who bore you to sleep

Had to listen to the 3rd term of NM v GWS on the radio - was solid on 774.

Digressing slightly, the standard on MMM and SEN was appalling - ball seems to go from one end to the other without being mentioned until someone is 'having a shot'.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
No worries mate suit yourself. Personally I would prefer him getting around instead of struggling through blokes like Gerard Whateley dribble about nothing issues
So you listen to Whateley dribble for hours on end. Good luck with that. It is better to just not listen to radio at those times. If Malthouse or Whateley was all that was on radio I would not be listening at all.

atlaser

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you listen to Whateley dribble for hours on end. Good luck with that. It is better to just not listen to radio at those times. If Malthouse or Whateley was all that was on radio I would not be listening at all.

I don't listen to people that I can't stand. Sometimes you can't avoid it though otherwise I wouldn't even think about it. Agree to disagree about malthouse. I don't mind him.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
He's a decent enough presenter, but his knowledge of players, the modern game and generally anything on-field is very average.

He actually does a reasonable job swallowing his Melbourne allegiance for analyses, but you can tell that it still drives him and motivates topics for discussion. However, very few AFL commentators have the ability to put their bias aside.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
His personal conduct aside, I like Garry Lyon as a commentator and analyst, and think he's great to listen to when he offers serious opinion and tactical discussion.

I can see why Lyon is promoted and positioned as the top guy, too. He's got the knowledge, and articulates it better than most in the industry, while still having that relateable "blokey" tone, as opposed to guys like Dermott Brereton or Alastair Lynch, who try to make themselves sound smarter than they are, and turn the game into a science experiment.

Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
He's actually not, he's a bigger football media fraud than Robbo, Ricky Nixon and Damian Barrett combined.
He had the chance to put up or shut up, but he never had the guts to become a coach..... it's ok to rubbish them because "media".
You ever consider he just didn’t want to coach? Adds 20 yrs to your life.. why would he.. makes more coin and less stress in the media.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
How dare he date a single ladie and stay with her 2 years later and move in with her and help support billys kids what a bad man!!

Billy getting kicked out pubs for hitting on 18 year olds when they were together is all good but

lol he broke their marriage. He is the reason she is single. This might be the way of life in Morwell or something but in a capital city Gaz should be absolutely ashamed of himself and seen as the ultimate dog campaigner

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
lol he broke their marriage. He is the reason she is single. This might be the way of life in Morwell or something but in a capital city Gaz should be absolutely ashamed of himself and seen as the ultimate dog campaigner

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ they were broken up for 2 months maybe do some research before guessing facts ?

Back