How does Labor win the next federal election/elections to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Fitz with the rage quit.

Watch newscorp babble on about " chaos and dysfunction " all week :rolleyes:
Good riddance.

Wonder which morally bankrupt organisation or body he'll get a job with now

Joel Fitz with the rage quit.

Watch newscorp babble on about " chaos and dysfunction " all week :rolleyes:

Hardly, he's retiring.

Good riddance.

Wonder which morally bankrupt organisation or body he'll get a job with now

You are aware his replacement is likely to be a national, who will makes his views on mining and carbon change look far left in comparison?

I get people are pissed he was pro mining, but the alternate was never a leftie, it was always going to be a much more conservative lnp candidate

Explain how they will make someone who wanted new coal mines look far left.

fewer environmental restrictions on site management
greater subsidies to support new developments
govt funding of new coal generating power plants
support for the govt refusal to set emission reduction targets

you know - standard nationals policy

govt funding of new coal generating power plants
I'm not sure government getting involved in a sector mostly controlled by private enterprise can be considered far left, but I take your point. I'd argue that Labor don't need Fitzgibbon's seat to win government at the next election though. The level of public disappointment with Scummo in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne will be enough. I've put decent money on Labor this time, because I think the betting markets are over-correcting for 2019 and now undervaluing Labor. Time will tell.

I'm not sure government getting involved in a sector mostly controlled by private enterprise can be considered far left, but I take your point. I'd argue that Labor don't need Fitzgibbon's seat to win government at the next election though. The level of public disappointment with Scummo in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne will be enough. I've put decent money on Labor this time, because I think the betting markets are over-correcting for 2019 and now undervaluing Labor. Time will tell.

every seat will count

its one thing to be pissed now, what about when you're in the ballot booth, and you are staring at having to vote alp for the first time in your life AND the libs are offering you the mother of all pork barrels

I still maintain nsw and qld will be wins for the libs

In Vic the Libs would be that hopeless, NSW?

For the ALP a lot rides on the encumbent between now & election day.
Its a nail in the coffin of the diversity virtue signalling that appeals to many voters & the potential to compromise the Vietnamese vote, if that is seen as a bloc?
I don’t think Vietnamese vote bloc is a thing since Howard being against multiculturalism (ie more than 30 years ago).
Not disagreeing with the premise that parachuted candidates do tend to have a turn off rate, but there’s generally enough rusted to carry the day locally (hence safe seat). Impact on other seats likely negative but not a large degree at a guess

It's authoritarianism state capitalism.

Nothing communist about China these days.

People who think China is communist are still buying into the red scare.

its also underselling them.

china are a threat - im not really liking the idea of a world dominated by them.

thinking of them as communists makes the threat seem less effective and kinda large but inefficient and not being able to get their s**t together.

It psychologically underplays the threat they can be if we dont try to think ahead. Which western democracies are woeful at.

its also underselling them.

china are a threat - im not really liking the idea of a world dominated by them.

thinking of them as communists makes the threat seem less effective and kinda large but inefficient and not being able to get their sh*t together.

It psychologically underplays the threat they can be if we dont try to think ahead. Which western democracies are woeful at.

we also have to realize that we dont get to silence one and a half billion people

in the battle for hearts and minds, our message to chinese people right now is "you can be kinda strong as long as 1) the USA remains stronger, and 2) you act like westerners"

why you think this message isnt working with people who grew up on stories of the opium wars?

we also have to realize that we dont get to silence one and a half billion people

in the battle for hearts and minds, our message to chinese people right now is "you can be kinda strong as long as 1) the USA remains stronger, and 2) you act like westerners"

why you think this message isnt working with people who grew up on stories of the opium wars?
Course not.

Of all the liberal’s economic failings whilst in office, picking a fight with china is going to be the biggest catastrophe.

im currently doing my best to retire every last bit of debt i have over the next coupla years before overseas iron ore mines come on line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain how they will make someone who wanted new coal mines look far left.

Do they value the worker vote? How did that go in North Queensland last time & without Fitzbgibbons personal following in Hunter ...
Its safe on paper, so its fine to ignore that electorate?

Last edited:
im not a fan

And controlling society like that is just garden variety authoritarian not communist. You can be hard right or hard left and be authoritarian.

communism is the ownership of the means of production by the state.

not billionairres.
State ownership by the head of the Part and their mates which equates to billionaires.

I still maintain nsw and qld will be wins for the libs
There's Queensland and there's Queensland. As I've said to you elsewhere, the fringes of Brisbane are a different beast to Central Queensland, and the pork barrel will have to be different too because simply promising to coddle the coal industry isn't going to do it in most of the truly marginal seats. What sort of pork barrel do you see the Liberal Party offering?

There's Queensland and there's Queensland. As I've said to you elsewhere, the fringes of Brisbane are a different beast to Central Queensland, and the pork barrel will have to be different too because simply promising to coddle the coal industry isn't going to do it in most of the truly marginal seats. What sort of pork barrel do you see the Liberal Party offering?

roads and rail are the easy go to options

gst boost to the state (at expense of victoria)

id also throw in relocating bases from victoria

roads and rail are the easy go to options

gst boost to the state (at expense of victoria)

id also throw in relocating bases from victoria
We'll see. The Federal government basically left Queensland to carry the can themselves on Cross River Rail, and Inland Rail in its current form has no real benefits for marginal electorates. The Bruce Highway upgrades have also largely already been promised previously, so I'm unsure what infrastructure they'd pull out to win more votes.

We'll see. The Federal government basically left Queensland to carry the can themselves on Cross River Rail, and Inland Rail in its current form has no real benefits for marginal electorates. The Bruce Highway upgrades have also largely already been promised previously, so I'm unsure what infrastructure they'd pull out to win more votes.

go big, brisbane to sydney high speed rail!

go big, brisbane to sydney high speed rail!

QLD voters tend to be more 'classically conservative' than VIC's (i.e. more cautious about change, including of governments), and such people tend to be a bit wary of what they see as 'pie in the sky' projects, and Brisbane to Sydney high speed rail likely fits this category.

Also, it would serve too few Queenslanders on more than an occasional basis.

(Plus, I doubt the NSW or Fed L/NP in particular have anything like the vision to make the idea work at all, never mind cost-efficiently, but that's another story.)

I've heard that one before. So has the electorate.

of course, and they always fall for it

revisit the baby bonus, anything for cheap votes

its a cliche, but it works

Remove this Banner Ad

Back