How does Labor win the next federal election/elections to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
They'll never demonise the rich. They're still a party of the rich at their core. They just demonise to win over stupid people.

The reality that many on the fringes overloop (UAP and Greens alike) is that most people are actually in the centre, so it makes sense that the ALP and LNP are very similar. Any time one party drifts too far to the fringe, as the LNP have done now, the ALP move more to the centre, capture that vote and win the election.

Now, if your'e on the fringe, sure it looks like they're just the same. But the reality is that almost everyone who lives in the cities of Australia are pretty much in very similar financial positions. The main outliers being those very well off who vote LNP for their own financial benefit.

This is generalised/simplistic left-right spectrum, but it plays out over and over again and the media fuel the fire and maintain it.
While I understand what your saying at some stage in the next decade or so boomers will be a minority and if they see an advantage in demonising them to win over a younger demographic to gain votes imo they will

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
While I understand what your saying at some stage in the next decade or so boomers will be a minority and if they see an advantage in demonising them to win over a younger demographic to gain votes imo they will
Other people will become the rich, will be NG up to their eyeballs and donate and support the LNP. It's where their bread is buttered.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other people will become the rich, will be NG up to their eyeballs and donate and support the LNP. It's where their bread is buttered.
I agree. Fully. But which generation will it be that the LNP will be obtaining this wealth from? My bet is millennials. It’ll try to butter it’s bread with that generation. Not boomers.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. Fully. But which generation will it be that the LNP will be obtaining this wealth from? My bet is millennials. It’ll try to butter it’s bread with that generation. Not boomers.

They're not all going to die one day. It'll be a gradual shift. It's not even just boomers who support the LNP. Other people will age, get wealthy and act selfishly to protect their wealth. Will the plurality slowly move to the left? I think so, but the LNP will still be on the right of wherever the centre is.

Don't forget, Conservatives of the early 1900's would look at multicultural people and women in the Conservative party with disgust.

They're not all going to die one day. It'll be a gradual shift. It's not even just boomers who support the LNP. Other people will age, get wealthy and act selfishly to protect their wealth. Will the plurality slowly move to the left? I think so, but the LNP will still be on the right of wherever the centre is.

Don't forget, Conservatives of the early 1900's would look at multicultural people and women in the Conservative party with disgust.
dont forget that you dont have to be wealthy to be conservative or vote aspirationally for that tax cut you think will be yours one day

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
LNP won't hold on this time, historically any party that clings on to power lose the following election. Though I did think last election LNP were done last election, I think they are in a much more vulnerable position.

LNP won't hold on this time, historically any party that clings on to power lose the following election. Though I did think last election LNP were done last election, I think they are in a much more vulnerable position.
It almost looks like they think they are going to lose and are trying to leave the biggest mess possible for Labor to not be able to deal with so they can platform on fixing the mess in 4 years time, you know act like the economy for the next 4 years is labor's fault

history repeating and all that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It almost looks like they think they are going to lose and are trying to leave the biggest mess possible for Labor to not be able to deal with so they can platform on fixing the mess in 4 years time, you know act like the economy for the next 4 years is labor's fault

history repeating and all that
Pretty much a vicious cycle, LNP will be back in 3 elections time.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Another good idea is to hide away that sad old media tart, Keating.

While the lefty pretend media like The Guardian & The ABC are willing to ignore his connections with the Chinese Communist Party the average punter would find it a little strange a former PM can be bought so cheaply by the Chinese.

You don't want them wondering what shonky deals with Beijing the current lightweight Labor leader has in stall when he wins the next election by default.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Always on borrowed time since Turnbull lost too many of the seats Abbott won.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Always on borrowed time since Turnbull lost too many of the seats Abbott won.

The LNP mocked the Labor party and then did the exact same thing. Gillard replaced Rudd and the Labor barley held on to government in 2010 and then the liberal party replaced Abbott with turnbull and again barely hung on to government. I suppose that's why I was surprised when scomo got up in the last election. Then again I live in Victoria which is a pro Labor state, didn't realise what was happening in Queensland.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The LNP mocked the Labor party and then did the exact same thing. Gillard replaced Rudd and the Labor barley held on to government in 2010 and then the liberal party replaced Abbott with turnbull and again barely hung on to government. I suppose that's why I was surprised when scomo got up in the last election. Then again I live in Victoria which is a pro Labor state, didn't realise what was happening in Queensland.

Were you unaware of the different messages from Shorten depending on where he was ?

Not sure what you mean by mocked, other than its par for the course for Opposition & Government.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Were you unaware of the different messages from Shorten depending on where he was ?

Not sure what you mean by mocked, other than its par for the course for Opposition & Government.

Before the campaigning I thought Labor were shoe ins but yes as election day got closer I thought it was going to be closer but still thought Labor would win.

I just meant that nothing was learnt from leadership spills.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Before the campaigning I thought Labor were shoe ins but yes as election day got closer I thought it was going to be closer but still thought Labor would win.

I just meant that nothing was learnt from leadership spills.

:thumbsu:, got it.

I favoured an ALP victory based on the narrative. The leadership changes of both parties have been disastrous.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)

Franking credits, and the scare campaign around them, were IMO the main culprit in 2019, not Adani. They just scared too many working families off (hence the ALP's poor performance in the 35-44 age bracket).

Shorten had real baggage, especially in QLD, but that was IMO survivable had he run a tight, focused campaign like he did in 2016 against a more popular opponent than ScoMo.

If this was a factor, it was because of Shorten's reputation.

Peter Beattie was very good at tailoring his message to different parts of QLD (a diverse state), and John Howard/Kevin Rudd did it effectively in 2004 and 2007 (Howard in TAS; Rudd across the east coast).

bluebob1

Senior List
Aug 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh there’s a lot out there though. I’m Gen x. Not a boomer but I know a fair few boomers that NG. Imo it will be revisited one day but imo by the LNP when boomers become a minority and the LNP look for a demographic to demonise.
Pretty hard to negative gear now with interest rates at 2% and rents probably averaging 3%. Vast majority of properties are now positively geared. Before Covid maybe but still not giving much of a tax benefit. This issue hasnt really been a factor since the GFC when interest rates were 8% and rents 4% then it was giving a decent amount of benefit.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Franking credits, and the scare campaign around them, were IMO the main culprit in 2019, not Adani. They just scared too many working families off (hence the ALP's poor performance in the 35-44 age bracket).

Shorten had real baggage, especially in QLD, but that was IMO survivable had he run a tight, focused campaign like he did in 2016 against a more popular opponent than ScoMo.

If this was a factor, it was because of Shorten's reputation.

Peter Beattie was very good at tailoring his message to different parts of QLD (a diverse state), and John Howard/Kevin Rudd did it effectively in 2004 and 2007 (Howard in TAS; Rudd across the east coast).

The seats were lost in Qld. Win them & Shorten was PM. Not Adani, you are delusional.

Albo wasnt clean in NQ last week over Acland & the ABC ignored it as it did last time.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The seats were lost in Qld. Win them & Shorten was PM. Not Adani, you are delusional.

Albo wasnt clean in NQ last week over Acland & the ABC ignored it as it did last time.

Are you available for children's birthday parties?

What exactly have you disagreed with in my post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back