How does Labor win the next federal election/elections to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Won’t change my mind… if Labor want to get into office and stay there long enough to actually bed in some meaningful change, they need to get Murdoch on side.

It’s the state of things and they need to work within it.

Murdoch doesn’t give a flying * who he backs or endorses as long as his business ends up on top.

Giving him what he wants is a small price to pay for fairer taxation, ICAC, a secure NDIS, actual climate change action and plenty of other things that Labor could get done if it had a relatively peaceful two or three terms in office. It can’t do that while the LNP has the media captured.

Won’t change my mind… if Labor want to get into office and stay there long enough to actually bed in some meaningful change, they need to get Murdoch on side.

Murdoch doesn’t give a flying fu** who he backs or endorses as long as his business ends up on top.

Giving him what he wants is a small price to pay for fairer taxation, ICAC, a secure NDIS, actual climate change action and plenty of other things that Labor could get done if it had a relatively peaceful two or three terms in office. It can’t do that while the LNP has the media captured.
Murdoch won't change now and most accounts seem to suggest his son is worse. They won't work with Labor now imo, a lot of the journos are too deep into (bad) Gonzo territory, not content with reporting the story they feel the need to insert themselves into it. Look at PVO.

Murdoch won't change now and most accounts seem to suggest his son is worse. They won't work with Labor now imo, a lot of the journos are too deep into (bad) Gonzo territory, not content with reporting the story they feel the need to insert themselves into it. Look at PVO.

They will go where the money is. Both government and consumer money. They always have and they always will. Its not a political game for them. It’s just the LNP look after them.

As for the journos, they’re not measured by left or right or good or bad. Only clicks and attention.

They’re already experimenting with it at news.com.au. Samantha Maiden would never be allowed to print most of her stuff on one of their major mastheads.

Or you break him

That may come later or (more likely) is done by the market. But its not now.

The LNP has the media on side and it means Labor has an enormous hurdle to leap to get into office. And won’t get a seconds peace when they are in office.

Really… the price of getting Murdoch is offset 100 times over with what they be able to do with his public protection that currently serves the LNP. They can get people on the side of their reforms.

It’s not personal, it’s business.

Murdoch doesn’t give a flying fu** who he backs or endorses as long as his business ends up on top.

Things he doesn't want at any price, small or not.

Things he doesn't want at any price, small or not.

Ha, you think Murdoch gives a * about any of that?

Neutering the NBN to allow him to convert Foxtel to streaming before he lost all of his audience to Netflix. Getting paid tens of millions by the govt to broadcast womens sport. Getting the government to force Google and Facebook to pay him for his news.

These are the things Murdoch cares about.

The right wing trolls they employ are clickbaiters. And culture warriors employed as a mutual favour to the LNP.

Murdoch’s own business and his own money are numbers 1-10 on his list of priorities.

Fair enough, I would have been on the same page a few months ago, but I'm not concerned about antivaxxers anymore.
not gonna lie, my view on anti vax was hostile hatred even before covid made the attitude popular

not gonna lie, my view on anti vax was hostile hatred even before covid made the attitude popular

I think there's a difference between the precovid anti vaxxers and covid anti vax. The media driving up fear especially with AZ was disgraceful and then having and Queensland CHO whatever her name was talking about blood clotting incidents definitely did help.

I think there's a difference between the precovid anti vaxxers and covid anti vax. The media driving up fear especially with AZ was disgraceful and then having and Queensland CHO whatever her name was talking about blood clotting incidents definitely did help.
pre covid antivax like that campaigner wakefield who lied about MMR vaccines and autism, thats where my hate stems from.
agree the queensland CHO contributed greatly to mixed messaging.

pre covid antivax like that campaigner wakefield who lied about MMR vaccines and autism, thats where my hate stems from.
agree the queensland CHO contributed greatly to mixed messaging.
The whole anti vax movement comes from a discredited article by a now deregistered (I think) doctor in the Lancet in the late 90s, these people are basing their beliefs on total bollocks. I had a mate who I fell out with over this, she was a great sort, could hold her class a's like a trooper and the first kid comes along and all of a sudden she's worried about what goes into drugs. It was really sad.

The whole anti vax movement comes from a discredited article by a now deregistered (I think) doctor in the Lancet in the late 90s, these people are basing their beliefs on total bollocks. I had a mate who I fell out with over this, she was a great sort, could hold her class a's like a trooper and the first kid comes along and all of a sudden she's worried about what goes into drugs. It was really sad.
Exactly. That article was written by that campaigner Wakefield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising. People forget a decade before covid we have had stories of kids being ****ed up by measles and whooping cough because dumb arse morons keep falsely banging on about autism

It wont be through China... China behind foiled attempt to bankroll federal election candidates

Dutton went too hard. Im pretty sure China has tried with the Liberals as well. As there is Liu actually being a Liberal MP who has been accused of having links to China.

Unless maybe Dutton wants Albo to fire back because Dutton doesnt like Liu and after he takes over the party he can clean up shop a little - as Opposition leader.

When scotty won the election the lnp slogan was 'building our economy securing your future' and they have definitely delivered that.
They have built their and their mates economy and have secured our future and future generations to pay for it.

Do you think that from the past week's news cycle, it's clear Murdoch will never support Labor even if they promise him no negative consequences?

What has Labor done this election to go against Murdoch's business interests?

The LNP shamelessly hand money directly to NewsCorp. They also legislate on their behalf with their ridiculous attacks on social media platforms and Google, handing them further millions.

The LNP have captured the media as an essential part of their plan to win elections.

My point is that by far the most effective way for Labor to win government and make meaningful reforms is to do this themselves. Outbid the LNP. Buy the support of Murdoch and other media barons. It’s a very small price to pay to be able to win an election and then operate and introduce reforms in peace across the whole policy spectrum.

We can sit here and call him a monster and a tyrant, none of it changed the fact that the media environment is one you have to operate in. Pay the relatively small price and move on.

The LNP shamelessly hand money directly to NewsCorp. They also legislate on their behalf with their ridiculous attacks on social media platforms and Google, handing them further millions.

The LNP have captured the media as an essential part of their plan to win elections.

My point is that by far the most effective way for Labor to win government and make meaningful reforms is to do this themselves. Outbid the LNP. Buy the support of Murdoch and other media barons. It’s a very small price to pay to be able to win an election and then operate and introduce reforms in peace across the whole policy spectrum.

We can sit here and call him a monster and a tyrant, none of it changed the fact that the media environment is one you have to operate in. Pay the relatively small price and move on.
But what would the media barons charge? And why wouldn't the LNP just match Labor's offer?

I believe UK Labour made this same deal with the devil to get Tony Blair into office - and I'd argue it didn't turn out well for them (of the country more importantly) at all in the long run.

I also think's its not accurate to say Murdoch wouldn't care about action on climate change, NDIS (any social welfare programs), fairer taxation, anti-corruption bodies etc - as long as he's making obscene amounts of money and the ALP just essentially bought him off (as you say the LNP do). Most of these issues are embedded firmly within the Right's most profitable news commodity - Culture Wars (almost everything is a cultural/identity issue now). The entire NewsCorp business model is built on ratcheting up fear and brutalising ''the other'' minorities etc - whoever that happens to be any given month.

Let's say your assumption was correct and Murdoch was willing to give Labor a pass and allow them to implement actual reforms that helped people - what in God's name would the entire Right wing news apparatus write and talk about 24/7 if they were not stoking fear and division about things like climate change, higher taxing ''communists'', trans people etc? These issues aren't economic to the Murdoch readership (if they ever were), they have become existential threats to their perceived righteous largely white identities.

I'm also not sure its accurate to say the ''LNP have captured the media as part of its plan to win elections'' In my view its the other way around. Murdoch is the Kingmaker and he'll only want to endorse unscrupulous, unprincipled hollow yes men like Morrison. You saw what happened with Turnbull (a policy-driven, independently wealthy man) when he tried to introduce the NEG - they killed him immediately.

the Murdoch media absolutely cannot be reasoned with. They will only tolerate complete fealty unless someone emerges with even more power than them - which Trump may do if heaven forbid he wins again in 2024.

Last edited:
You do know you have to pay to access nearly all of the Murdoch boomer media right?
Nearly all the other media is free to access and very left leaning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back