Society/Culture How does this virus crisis end? The world one year from now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you are saying?

How is boomer wealth being propped up?
IMHO the value of our dollar & our reliance on imports are the biggest problem because it cant be addressed overnight/

I assume he means cause most(many) died in the war hence there were loads of jobs. Houses. Opportunity.

. society was on some levels less messed up than today

I assume he means cause most(many) died in the war hence there were loads of jobs. Houses. Opportunity.

No, the point I was making about artificially inflating property prices related to negative gearing.

We've turned property into the one no-risk investment in the world. Make a loss on your investment property? Penalise the tax payer by writing off those losses.

And we're seeing it again now - residential landlords outraged by the notion that, in an environment where people have lost jobs, people are wondering how they're going to eat, people are terrified about having a roof over their head... we still have landlords arguing that rent relief and a moratorium on evictions is some injustice against their forever privileged lifestyle that allowed many of them to hoard property in the first place.

I've lost my *in job. Share market investors and superannuants have lost a s**t ton of their retirements. But landlords? Apparently they're untouchable.

No, the point I was making about artificially inflating property prices related to negative gearing.

We've turned property into the one no-risk investment in the world. Make a loss on your investment property? Penalise the tax payer by writing off those losses.

And we're seeing it again now - residential landlords outraged by the notion that, in an environment where people have lost jobs, people are wondering how they're going to eat, people are terrified about having a roof over their head... we still have landlords arguing that rent relief and a moratorium on evictions is some injustice against their forever privileged lifestyle that allowed many of them to hoard property in the first place.

I've lost my fu**in job. Share market investors and superannuants have lost a s**t ton of their retirements. But landlords? Apparently they're untouchable.

From skimming the recent news it seems landlords are not allowed to be rid of people for 6months

Emperor ScoMo

I've lost my fu**in job. Share market investors and superannuants have lost a s**t ton of their retirements. But landlords? Apparently they're untouchable.

is negative gearing not available to nearly any other business investment"

Trump advocating money printing as a solution to a ruinous pandemic is very Crisis of the Third Century.

Surely the AUD should go up against the greenback just on the basis of Trump being in charge.
Maybe we will all be tracking against the Yuan in future, you know, those guys you spread the virus.

From skimming the recent news it seems landlords are not allowed to be rid of people for 6months

Emperor ScoMo

It's not a rent holiday though - you're still going to owe the outstanding amount. So all this does is delay the impending homelessness crisis by ~9-12 months if people aren't able to make up the difference.

Trump advocating money printing as a solution to a ruinous pandemic is very Crisis of the Third Century.

That’s what’s going to happen

Normally this is a disaster due to inflation but that’s not an issue at the moment, nor if every nation does it.

It does however mean a pay cut for income earners and asset value preservation for the wealthy

Emperor ScoMo

Creditors (including landlords) can no longer enforce payment or court orders

It worked out extremely well for Zimbabwe and Venezuela!

I went to Zimbabwe a few years ago, they don't even have their own currency any more. Their "currency" is a mish-mash of overseas dollars (including Australian dollars!), and the Zimbabwean billion dollar bill is something hawked to tourists by hustlers for about 3 bucks US.

Amazingly beautiful country though. You should definitely go if you have the chance. And if borders ever re-open. It's my favourite country that I've been to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first economic recollection is the credit squeeze of the early 60s, not jobs for all - certainly simpler time where the parents of my day had come through the depression & ww2 - both severely impacted the appetite for risk. Like today immigration was strong as was the work ethic, no free tertiary education.

Just different challenges.

I understand your point about negative gearing, its a function of the Tax Act, not Government policy. Governments of both sides have had the opportunity to change the law, its not new.

The only landlords I've heard from are commercial. & Solly Lew as a tenant is not about to go easily. Hasnt there been talk of a moratorium for 6 months?

Be sure plenty of tradies are landlords & its their form of super.

That would be true if we didnt implement such draconian measures. But we are and i dont see governments removing them when the virus numbers go up. Do you? Its the preventative measures that are the problem. How exactly does an economy survive with no one travelling, no one going to recreational events, no one going to restaurants? 70 percent of western economies are services based. Many of these industries have massive debts and reliant on cash flow to stay afloat. I can see our unemployment rate reaching 15 percent before long. Then what happens? The australian housing market collapses. How do we avoid this scenario?

It's all part of the master plan and the goyim are playing right into their hands. Let them rot. Hahahaha.

What's up with the goyim s**t?
What is goyim, a version of the infidel ... where does this stuff come from?

According to answers dot com

The word goyim is the plural of goy. The literal meaning of the word is 'nation' and can be used in reference to all nations, including the Jewish nation. In modern Hebrew it has come to mean non-Jew. Although some perceive it to be a negative term, it is not. This is because Judaism also refers to itself as a "goy". For example, in Exodus 19:6, the Jews are explicitly referred to as a "Goy Kadosh" (Holy Nation).

So I'm thick, what does it mean here?

Going by the context

In a reasonably short period of time we will appreciate corona means nothing for 80% of us

This is an issue for 1% being the old, sick and already dying.

It’s horrible but not the end of the world
That would be true if we didnt implement such draconian measures. But we are and i dont see governments removing them when the virus numbers go up. Do you? Its the preventative measures that are the problem. How exactly does an economy survive with no one travelling, no one going to recreational events, no one going to restaurants? 70 percent of western economies are services based. Many of these industries have massive debts and reliant on cash flow to stay afloat. I can see our unemployment rate reaching 15 percent before long. Then what happens? The australian housing market collapses. How do we avoid this scenario?
It's all part of the master plan and the goyim are playing right into their hands. Let them rot. Hahahaha.

I'm guessing woota isn't using 'goyim' in a Hebrew sense at all. The 'goyim' in this context are Power Raid's 1% - the old and the sick. Those outside of the best chance at recovery and therefore those most at risk of dying off.

Then again, maybe I'm the thick one:drunk:

Deputy Chief MO was very pessimistic yesterday about whether a vaccine could be found. Apparently corona viruses are different from other illnesses - I’m not scientific, someone else might be able to explain it better, but what he said was somewhat alarming.

“Vaccines for coronaviruses are not easy. In fact, up to now, we’ve never had a successful vaccine against a coronavirus.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back