How does Wayne Carey have a media job despite his multiple domestic violence convictions?

Remove this Banner Ad

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
1997 - pleads guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a woman’s breast
2002 - Has an affair with team mate Anthony Steven's wife Kelli
2000 - provides a character reference for Jason Moran
2004 - arrested for misdemeanour battery
2006 - Carey leaves his pregnant wife for actress Kate Nielson
2006 - Neilson lodges a police report for domestic assault after he punches her in the face
2006 - A Current Affair runs a report alleging he was also witnessed assaulting Neilson
2007 - Carey had been arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer and Neilson in Miami, Florida on 27 October 2007, after he allegedly glassed Neilsen in the face and neck with a wine glass.

How does man like Wayne Carey, who has multiple instances of domestic violence against women, still have a job in the media? When did it become acceptable for Channel 7 to employ a man who is a known perpetrator of domestic violence abuse? Surely 'oh but he was good at footy' is outweighed by 'this guy routinely assaulted women throughout a large portion of his life'

Earlier in the year North's AFLW instagram account shared a photo of him posing with Brittany Gibson (listed women's player), and oh boy did the comments section love that. The sentiment from a portion of followers was you can't separate the man from the footballer. I didn't join in on the conversation (BF is my only real social media vice), but did think to myself: Of course you can! And it's also possible to distinguish between the man of today and the man of 10-20 years ago.

I'm not fully across Carey's current day life. But, unfortunately, there's been some recentish news about former Kangas in trouble with the law and he isn't one of them.

1997 - pleads guilty to indecent assault after grabbing a woman’s breast
2002 - Has an affair with team mate Anthony Steven's wife Kelli
2000 - provides a character reference for Jason Moran
2004 - arrested for misdemeanour battery
2006 - Carey leaves his pregnant wife for actress Kate Nielson
2006 - Neilson lodges a police report for domestic assault after he punches her in the face
2006 - A Current Affair runs a report alleging he was also witnessed assaulting Neilson
2007 - Carey had been arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer and Neilson in Miami, Florida on 27 October 2007, after he allegedly glassed Neilsen in the face and neck with a wine glass.

How does man like Wayne Carey, who has multiple instances of domestic violence against women, still have a job in the media? When did it become acceptable for Channel 7 to employ a man who is a known perpetrator of domestic violence abuse? Surely 'oh but he was good at footy' is outweighed by 'this guy routinely assaulted women throughout a large portion of his life'

Did his mates wife - most men would hate him.

Bashed his missus - most everyone would hate him.

And Fox Footy reckons he's a nice fit with their values?

Stay classy boys
He doesn't work at Fox.

Stay informed boy

If you bother to read his autobiography he explains the so called “glassing” incident in detail.

They were both completely off their nut on coke and booze as he went to toss a bit of wine from a glass at her.

She lent into it and the glass cracked cutting her with a minor wound.

All the other stuff is not a good look of course but he’s not exactly a danger to society.

Personally, I think he’s dumb as dog doo and seldom offer any comments of interest in anything he says.

He looks good on camera and is one of greatest players of all time and is professional in his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you bother to read his autobiography he explains the so called “glassing” incident in detail.

They were both completely off their nut on coke and booze as he went to toss a bit of wine from a glass at her.

She lent into it and the glass cracked cutting her with a minor wound.

All the other stuff is not a good look of course but he’s not exactly a danger to society.

Personally, I think he’s dumb as dog doo and seldom offer any comments of interest in anything he says.

He looks good on camera and is one of greatest players of all time and is professional in his role.
She leaned into his wine glass? Did she walk into a door by chance as well?

Read the book.

I’m not defending the bloke. But it’s not like he ploughed a glass straight into her face.

Urban myths and all that.

How do you know what it's like? Just because it's written in ink doesn't mean that's what happened. There are only two people who know what went on and I'm much more interested in her side of events than his.

giphy.gif

How do you know what it's like? Just because it's written in ink doesn't mean that's what happened. There are only two people who know what went on and I'm much more interested in her side of events than his.

Read the book and decide for yourself.

He’s very honest with everything about his life in it. Doesn’t hide anything.

Especially about his father who was a true piece of work. A disgrace of a man.

Anyway who cares.

What’s important is that people can change their ways, acknowledging their massive flaws and go on to lead a good life.

Read the book and decide for yourself.

He’s very honest with everything about his life in it. Doesn’t hide anything.

Especially about his father who was a true piece of work. A disgrace of a man.

Anyway who cares.

What’s important is that people can change their ways, acknowledging their massive flaws and go on to lead a good life.
I guess the question is, how can you know he is being honest?

Yeah I understand what you’re saying.

But I look at him in a different way.

He grew up with a father who was the worst kind imaginable.

A narcissist, violent, drunken loser. A man who would drop off at the local pub and leave his kids in the car park for hours while he drank and picked fights with blokes inside.,

A man who controlled his kids with the most disturbing behaviour. Carey and his siblings weren’t allowed to play with other kids. They were kept at home to endure his abusive ways.

By the time Carey escaped from his father to Melb as young North recruit, he was well on his way to establishing a hardcore drinking habit that obviously was aimed at numbing the psychological pain of his horrific childhood.

It took him until late 30s before he realised he had big big problems.
He discovered cocaine in his early 30s after retiring and got out of control.

But it’s clear now that he’s taken steps to better his life and strive to be a productive person leading a positive life. Being a good father. Quit his drug taking and get on top of his alcoholism.

He’s not a bad person. He’s just made an awful number of mistakes in his life..like many of us have.

But people grow up and mature.

He’s not continuing to destroy his life and hurt others around him like Cousins is still doing.

Gotta give the guy a tiny slither of credit.

Yeah I understand what you’re saying.

But I look at him in a different way.

He grew up with a father who was the worst kind imaginable.

A narcissist, violent, drunken loser. A man who would drop off at the local pub and leave his kids in the car park for hours while he drank and picked fights with blokes inside.,

A man who controlled his kids with the most disturbing behaviour. Carey and his siblings weren’t allowed to play with other kids. They were kept at home to endure his abusive ways.

By the time Carey escaped from his father to Melb as young North recruit, he was well on his way to establishing a hardcore drinking habit that obviously was aimed at numbing the psychological pain of his horrific childhood.

It took him until late 30s before he realised he had big big problems.
He discovered cocaine in his early 30s after retiring and got out of control.

But it’s clear now that he’s taken steps to better his life and strive to be a productive person leading a positive life. Being a good father. Quit his drug taking and get on top of his alcoholism.

He’s not a bad person. He’s just made an awful number of mistakes in his life..like many of us have.

But people grow up and mature.

He’s not continuing to destroy his life and hurt others around him like Cousins is still doing.

Gotta give the guy a tiny slither of credit.
Yeah look I'll give him credit for trying to be a better bloke. Some people don't have that ability. I'm not going to go into details but having grown up in a family that endured what I would consider to be worse (From what is publicly known about Carey's upbringing) I guess I just struggle to give him the benefit of doubt about the things he has done. It's hard sometimes to not get stuck in the "there's never an excuse to hurt those you love" mindset. I suppose I don't have much sympathy for him.

But credit to the bloke if he is genuinely a changed man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back