How effective is each draft pick from (2000-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting looking at which picks are more likely to turn into stars and solid players, you also have to factor in the development programs at each club. Picking the best players might not mean much if the clubs don't turn them into stars and they stagnate. It'd be a pretty small sample but it'd be interesting to see the break down for each club with how their 1st/2nd/3rd etc round picks have turned out.

What skews the data is early draft picks get a free ride for about 4 years due to the investment put on them, so basically they get 50 free games, then another 30 if there's any hope before changes start to be in the thinking such as Tambling and Watts. Plus it is also skewed by who you get drafted by, basically anyone in a GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Bulldogs, and Saints list gets a lot of free games at the moment

What skews the data is early draft picks get a free ride for about 4 years due to the investment put on them, so basically they get 50 free games, then another 30 if there's any hope before changes start to be in the thinking such as Tambling and Watts. Plus it is also skewed by who you get drafted by, basically anyone in a GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Bulldogs, and Saints list gets a lot of free games at the moment
Also, by definition, high picks are going to a crap team so there's less competition for positions. I noticed the difference this year at Richmond with how Vlastuin had to wait longer to make his debut than first round picks had to at the Tiges in previous years.

Seven of the ten on that list are from 2001, what an unbelievable draft year.
Would have to be one of the best draft years ever - starting with Hodge, Ball & Judd as the top-3 & very low % of players who didn't play an AFL game (9/72).

Was there a better year for top-10 rookies (not in order):
A Carrazzo (5)
M Jamar (6)
B Thornton (11)
D Bradshaw (16)
Q Lynch (19)
M Boyd (23)
N Bock (25)
A Sandilands (33)
B Rutten (40)
M Mattner (51)

Certainly best rookie year from the Crows (far better than our trading + national drafting!)

Would have to be one of the best draft years ever - starting with Hodge, Ball & Judd as the top-3 & very low % of players who didn't play an AFL game (9/72).

Was there a better year for top-10 rookies (not in order):
A Carrazzo (5)
M Jamar (6)
B Thornton (11)
S Bradshaw (16)
Q Lynch (19)
M Boyd (23)
N Bock (25)
A Sandilands (33)
B Rutten (40)
M Mattner (51)

Certainly best rookie year from the Crows (far better than our trading + national drafting!)
Good list but I reckon you've got the wrong Bradshaw. Swap him out for Podisiadly (slight cheating :p)

Good list but I reckon you've got the wrong Bradshaw. Swap him out for Podisiadly (slight cheating :p)
Whoops yes, Darren not Daniel.

I didn't count Jpod as he never played for the Pies ... but heck why not!

well since 2008 pick 6 has seen

Chris Yarran, Gary Rohan, Reece Conca, Chad Wingard, Jackson MacRae

all decent players, I think the #6 pick curse might have broken...
Reece Conca is now out of AFL system I believe and Yarran is struggling to get back. Rohan has not exactly been injury free. If there is a curse for pick 6, it has still been playing out a bit since this 2013 post of yours.

Reece Conca is now out of AFL system I believe and Yarran is struggling to get back. Rohan has not exactly been injury free. If there is a curse for pick 6, it has still been playing out a bit since this 2013 post of yours.
Conca is still at Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back