How emotionally invested in the footy do you get?

Remove this Banner Ad

The days of losing my head over a loss or load over a win are well and truly gone nowadays for me, unlike ye olde days.

I'm far more likely to remain on an even keel whatever the result, instead looking at reasons for a loss and trying to explore potential solutions, and whether or not we have them. Always looking longer term to where the club/ team is heading rather than fixated on the immediate.

If not for BF I reckon I'd switch right off footy and the media completely post a disappointing loss.

Going to games with my kids since the day they were born makes a huge difference also. I try to set a good example and usually only drop the guard when we're copping an avalanche of mind boggling decisions against us.

I still iQ every single game of AFL and I'm finding the fast forward's being utilised more than ever, but I do at least watch to get an idea of what's happening elsewhere.

The AFL engineering outcomes to suit a sponsor like Worner at ch 7, to ensure higher ratings and bigger bonus cheques, is what irks me the most. Clubs like our own, not deemed to be prime box office, are forced to overcome enormous odds to win many battles with City Hall, let alone achieve the ultimate, and it pisses me off no end.

I'm a genuine sports nut who's into sports beyond AFL and if we'd gone to the GC I'd have moved on in a heartbeat.................to the Storm, Victory, Melb United etc, and remain as bitter about the AFL as my dad still is to this day over the Fitzroy shafting.

I love North Melbourne. My kids have followed. I do not love the AFL!

Couldn't have put it better if I tried.

Well...........except the bit about growing up.

Used to be a diehard but the thing that changed me was seeing a guy in hospital a couple of days after a car accident. He was actually pronounced dead at the scene. Some things you just can't unsee.

So it put things into perspective. Actually happened in '98 so the game that cannot be named didn't hit as hard as it could have.

Having kids also changes perspectives and priorities. Chasing skirts was more fun too.

Obsessive? 2014/15/16 I was nuts .. midway through 16, I was significantly affected by a performance where by I got myself s**t faced, got in a scrap at the exchange and subsequently arrested and charged! 2017 was up and about with war chest of cash only to be let down.. this year, yes, passionate but somewhat reserved .. Must have matured!

Overworked, overseas, and oversick helps reduce the emotional investment, but losing to those flogs hurts more than most...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back