How far back are you bleeding yellow and black??

Remove this Banner Ad

My indoctrination was easy. The club kept winning premierships.

I humbly give a lot more credit to myself for the indoctrination of my offspring. The club was struggling then and it truly was a struggle to keep my kids on the one true path, while bringing my wife around as well.

That Telstra ad where a girl sneaks off with her Swannie grandfather is a warning to us all.

That’s the year I was made to follow the Tigers after being given the 74 premiership newspaper.

Sheeds was mentioned in the paper,the first player I connected with.

Mum’s side pretty much all Collingwood.

My great memories of Richmond was listening on the radio to em when I was very young.

My pop had a reel to reel tape of a radio recording of a Richmond granny I used to play,lost now unfortunately,that 70’s team were like immortals to me.

He was more into Collingwood and Fitzroy,his two sons played for them,under 19s.
My uncle on my dads side played for Fitzroy,Saints and the Blues.

Last edited:
Same, 1966.

Arrived back in Australia from Suva, Fiji in 1965, just after the season had finished. My father, a long time Richmond supporter, took me for my first game at Lake Oval in 1966, can still see the stand, we were at the southern edge. I think it was Bobby Skilton that had just been bowled over by Roger Dean, and the guy next to me, in Red and White, jumped out of his seat and yelled "Dean you bloody squib!". Thinking that was the go, and all of age 6, I jumped up as well and yelled "yeah, you bloody squib!" (beaming, thinking I was very grown up). At which point my father suddenly grabbed me by my collar, yanked me back hard in my seat, and yelled at me "shaddup, he's one of ours!".

That was my first living memory of footy. Being told Roger Dean was 'one of ours' ingrained in me I barracked for the blokes with the Yellow and Black and not the Red and White.

For years thereafter I kicked a brown plastic footy around the back yard in East Oakleigh pretending I was Roger Dean bowling over every other footballer that got in my way, to endless Richmond glories. We made the finals that year, and then we seemed to win flag after flag after flag, at least that's how it felt. Good times to be a Richmond kid!
We’re you living in Fiji? In those days it would have been brilliant , I lived there for a while in 2015 can’t say I liked it there

Interesting.

Lots of us either,

A/ Starting supporting during eras of success.
B/ Our parents made us supporters at birth.

Wonder how many supporters we are making now, since maybe 2012 onwards, and especially sin e 2017

Go to any junior footy club training the amount of kids in Richmond jumpers is astounding now. When I was a kid apart from the fact our club was the Tigers I was the only one who went for them at AFL level. New generation of fans.
I’ve been a tigers fan my whole life. I was born in 1980, my dad was a saints fan (now a Giants fan) mum was Carlton (she’s now Giants as well). My Local footy club was the Tigers so i always lived and breathed the Tigers

We’re you living in Fiji? In those days it would have been brilliant , I lived there for a while in 2015 can’t say I liked it there

Yes, I remember some of it, much of it I don't. I flew there on my own to re-visit family friends there again when I was 12, which I remember all of. Again a few times as an adult. Started school at Suva Grammar, there wasn't much to Suva back in those days, a bit like a country town really. But we were like some sort of royalty, which I never understood at the time. Life was sweet. With the exception on one expat, all my buddies were Fijian. My sister was even born there - how brave was my mother!!!!!!

My first real understanding of VFL footy and that it even existed was that first game at Lake Oval.

Yes, I remember some of it, much of it I don't. I flew there on my own to re-visit family friends there again when I was 12, which I remember all of. Again a few times as an adult. Started school at Suva Grammar, there wasn't much to Suva back in those days, a bit like a country town really. But we were like some sort of royalty, which I never understood at the time. Life was sweet. With the exception on one expat, all my buddies were Fijian. My sister was even born there - how brave was my mother!!!!!!

My first real understanding of VFL footy and that it even existed was that first game at Lake Oval.
Yeah when I went to Lae in PNG it was like a country town, now it’s a city, I went back there 20 years later and nearly burst into tears it was a slum and still is unfortunately

Yeah when I went to Lae in PNG it was like a country town, now it’s a city, I went back there 20 years later and nearly burst into tears it was a slum and still is unfortunately

Yeah, my father refused PNG, the time in Fiji was enough from what I can gather, it tested my parents relationship. It's really weird the events that form your life, my father was offered a considerable promo back from Fiji but had to be in Sydney for it, but with the relationship in the balance and my mother's family all in Melbourne, that was the compromise to keep the family together from what I've pieced together. I'm sure I would have coped in Rugby heartland, but so glad I grew up with VFL / AFL, especially as I have played until aged 46, doubt I could have done that in League.

PNG is such a wild place, so is the Solomons. Corruption is a way of life, and the people on the Pell thread grizzle about it here, nothing on what has gone on over in the Pacific. My brother-in law has lost count of how many times the Prime Minister of the day threatened his life, directly and indirectly.

Yeah, my father refused PNG, the time in Fiji was enough from what I can gather, it tested my parents relationship. It's really weird the events that form your life, my father was offered a considerable promo back from Fiji but had to be in Sydney for it, but with the relationship in the balance and my mother's family all in Melbourne, that was the compromise to keep the family together from what I've pieced together. I'm sure I would have coped in Rugby heartland, but so glad I grew up with VFL / AFL, especially as I have played until aged 46, doubt I could have done that in League.

PNG is such a wild place, so is the Solomons. Corruption is a way of life, and the people on the Pell thread grizzle about it here, nothing on what has gone on over in the Pacific. My brother-in law has lost count of how many times the Prime Minister of the day threatened his life, directly and indirectly.
Mate corruption is a huge issue, I could tell you some stories

Just me. My family doesn't care for footy. My old man hates it. I started going with an old friend from primary school 20 years ago and his family who were made tigers and I've never stopped.
When you become a made tiger, is that like a made man in the mafia?

My dad was born in Richmond and along with his older brother they were the first tigers fans in my family. Both born in the 1930's. Not sure at what age they started to follow the football, but he does remember going to see Jack Dyer play at Punt Rd with his brother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 62 & my old man followed the Tigers but not fanatically. In 1967 I started liking Royce Hart. '69 my job at school was to put the premiership articles etc on the back of the classroom. Going to see the Tiges at the G was fun. 72, 73, 74 It was easy to get into the grounds for a grand final. (But near impossible to see for a 12 or 13 y.o.) As I write all over the place the drought scarred me and I am flag obsessed. Dimma, Peggy, Gale and Cotch are absolute legends bur if Cotch could retire as a 4 time flag winner that would be something. I hope COVID doesn't f us up too much. I hope we can do a Hawthorn and stay on top during turbulent times. In their case it was AFL expansion, in our case COVID chaos.

My old man had me dressed in Melbourne gear as a kid during the 80's but then I lost interest in footy in the early 90's in favor of Basketball, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls lol

I developed a soft spot for the Tiges when the Save our Skins campaign was running. It then became official for me in Round 4 1995 after we spanked North Melbourne with a blitzing first quarter. Me and my brother were watching it on TV yelling out "GO TIGES!! Kick another goal. Smash them!!!" It was doubly satisfying because my Year 8 teacher was also North Melbourne supporter :tearsofjoy::thumbsu:

My old man had me dressed in Melbourne gear as a kid during the 80's but then I lost interest in footy in the early 90's in favor of Basketball, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls lol

I developed a soft spot for the Tiges when the Save our Skins campaign was running. It then became official for me in Round 4 1995 after we spanked North Melbourne with a blitzing first quarter. Me and my brother were watching it on TV yelling out "GO TIGES!! Kick another goal. Smash them!!!" It was doubly satisfying because my Year 8 teacher was also North Melbourne supporter :tearsofjoy::thumbsu:
Yeah...great game!

Moved from the UK as a 6 year old in '69 as a 10 pound pom, started school in Oct. TheTigers were reigning Premiers as we are now 51 years later.
My first two mates in Australia were twins both Tiger supporters, they said I had to follow Richmond, I've been a Tiger ever since.

Never regretted it.

My father supported Melbourne until he was 8, then he changed to Richmond and he’s been Richmond ever since. I think it only goes back as far as him.
Do you thank him every day? Imagine what could have been lel

Born and bred Fitzroy.
Supported passionately, was a member til the day they died.
The way they were killed and the final game in Freo made my blood boil and turned me totally off AFL.

Then one day my kids came home from primary school asking for footy gear to wear for footy day, and they wanted Tiges. Luckily I had a close connection so got the gear and away we went.
First became a member in 2009 after probably five years of following, eg was doing my nut watching Mark Graham in ‘05 I reckon, and a fresh, skinny Buddy Franklin was playing the same game.
So was hooked around then.
Loved the journey, even though shorter than most on here.
But I reckon I paid my dues with the ‘Roy’s so feel as fully entitled as any other Tiger veteran.

Born and bred Fitzroy.
Supported passionately, was a member til the day they died.
The way they were killed and the final game in Freo made my blood boil and turned me totally off AFL.

Then one day my kids came home from primary school asking for footy gear to wear for footy day, and they wanted Tiges. Luckily I had a close connection so got the gear and away we went.
First became a member in 2009 after probably five years of following, eg was doing my nut watching Mark Graham in ‘05 I reckon, and a fresh, skinny Buddy Franklin was playing the same game.
So was hooked around then.
Loved the journey, even though shorter than most on here.
But I reckon I paid my dues with the ‘Roy’s so feel as fully entitled as any other Tiger veteran.
Don't stop now...how did you start supporting the 'Roys?!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back