Prediction How far will we go in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm holding on to the idea that Ken has been tanking for the last two years with a deliberately bad game plan.

But in 2017 he's gonna take away the chocks and unveil a method that will annihilate the oppo and lead to sixinnarow.

But what will probably happen is the players will be told to work harder.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If we continue to kick into an unattended forward line we'll end somewhere that the AFL BF Forum is predicting for 2017, outside the eight. For the last two years we have played games against Sydney and GWS where we made multiple kicks to their defenders with none of our players even in sight. The same with the first half of the first showdown last year and the last quarter of the Hawthorn game in 2014. At least we won that one although we did our best to lose it.
It seems that since the AFL tried to speed up the game by putting a limit on how long the ball can be held we have not come to terms with this and are moving the ball on to quickly, which logically leads to the possibility of turnovers happening too quickly.

If we continue to kick into an unattended forward line we'll end somewhere that the AFL BF Forum is predicting for 2017, outside the eight. For the last two years we have played games against Sydney and GWS where we made multiple kicks to their defenders with none of our players even in sight. The same with the first half of the first showdown last year and the last quarter of the Hawthorn game in 2014. At least we won that one although we did our best to lose it.
It seems that since the AFL tried to speed up the game by putting a limit on how long the ball can be held we have not come to terms with this and are moving the ball on to quickly, which logically leads to the possibility of turnovers happening too quickly.
Yep. Always disliked seeing the ball kicked forward to either no team mate or the oppo.

I expect we'll do it a little differently next year.

Yep. Always disliked seeing the ball kicked forward to either no team mate or the oppo.

I expect we'll do it a little differently next year.
One thing I don't want to hear this year is the incessant booing when we kick the ball backwards. Although it is true that you can, and we have done, get yourself into trouble by playing around with the ball in your backlines, there is nothing wrong with a backwards kick when the alternative it is to see it recovered by the opposition and sent back over your head.

One thing I don't want to hear this year is the incessant booing when we kick the ball backwards. Although it is true that you can, and we have done, get yourself into trouble by playing around with the ball in your backlines, there is nothing wrong with a backwards kick when the alternative it is to see it recovered by the opposition and sent back over your head.

"Kick it down the guts"

"Man up"

"Boooo"

"Bloody Shittard"

Rabble rabble and so forth.

Will never happen in your lifetime.

The booing just comes from impatient knobs, pissed fockers and just fools in general.

Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bad rap for backwards kicking for many Port supporters, no doubt stems from Choco's overuse of it in the bad old days.

I lost count of the number of times circa 2008 - 12 that the team's momentum came to a standstill because the runner was sent out almost as soon as the time on period began, ( and often it was in the first half of games), followed by the waving of the ball above the head by which ever defender had possession at the time.

Whilst there is definitely a place for the backwards kick possession game, to open up avenues of attack, or to ice a game, back then it was a mainly defensive ploy that was used too often, and regularly too early. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Best thing I ever heard was during a showdown in the outer at footy park many moons ago.... the ball was on the other side of the ground and it was during a bit of a lull in the game... Nigel Smart jogged passed on his own. In the quiet a lone voice screams out.... "Nigel Smaaaart" ... he looks up at the crowd ... "your headddd looks like my Knob".... Nigel looks down and keeps running. The crowd burst into a contagious laughter

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or the fact that our cringeworthy 15mtr backward kick that would get turned over and blokes like joe the goose jenkins would end up kicking a lazy 5 against us.

That was more likely to come from an ill-judged forward or centering kick. Backwards kicks are far more likely to be to an uncontested team mate.

Completely unsure how we will go in 2017.
I think there has been some improvements in the off season and the club has had time to reflect on two miserable years of complete under performance. This should dig deep into the overall mentality of the club and by rights should have a bearing on all concerned.
The problem will always be the other 17 clubs are all looking to improve also it will be a big test for coaches and players alike.
Im hopeful of a better year but just dont know atm.

My two favourites are

"Kick it kick it kick it..... Argh why'd you kick it there"

And
"Find ye players!"
You missed a couple steps.

"kick it, kick it, kick it"......
players kicks...... "Yay!!!"......
Opposition marks..... "Argh why'd you kick it there"........
the turnover results in a goal.... "well if they just kicked it earlier that wouldn't have happened"

ahhh people, they're great.

Last edited:
I think we'll go alright . The squad is in pretty good shape . There's a few guys that key get a debut this year so the competition for next man in is intense with Stewart , Oshea and Carlile gone there's a jostle for spots in defence .
Shulz and Butcher gone has opened up spot for a forward for Eddy or Trengove . Love it if Howard was fit .
The midfield is open too for Amon , AhChee S.Gray and the newbies to fight for spots that might open up . We need a bolter in the midfield .
We should be more resolved this year , we're no longer the latest big thing , we've been left behind in fact , but I'd like to think there won't be any complacency this year and the talent is there to at least win those games like Carlton and Freemantle
I'd definitely give Ryder and Trengove first go in the ruck and let Lobbe gain confidence in the Magpies , also I think Hartlett , Jonas , Broadbent , Polec won't get an arm chair ride if their form drops off .

I don't what it is but I just have this really good feeling about 2017.

Not sure if it is false hope or delusion but I had a similar feeling before 2014.

Last year the feeling was good but not like this.

Maybe it is dellusion and I am just hoping that we do well so I don't have to try and justify buying a 2018 membership to myself as in 2016 I started to become a little disenchanted with the whole state of affairs and results of the club.

Fingers crossed!!!

Supreme Leader Boak will show us the way
NyfQV6E.jpg

With help from Rylo Ken
dOD4GOI.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back