How fast do you run the tan?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's OK.
Record is from Craig Mottram in the low tens I think.
I ran it for footy preseason about 6 weeks ago in 14:51. I was stoked.
(at 29yo, 190cms, and was mid to high 90s kg)

Its 3.2 isn't it with and considering that hill climb, that seems about average to me.

I haven't done it yet though, so I don't fully understand the terrain.

It's OK.
Record is from Craig Mottram in the low tens I think.
I ran it for footy preseason about 6 weeks ago in 14:51. I was stoked.
(at 29yo, 190cms, and was mid to high 90s kg)

Ahh ok yeah i am also pushing up near the 100kg 193cms but i am 20. So i take my hat off to you sir.

Yeah Mottram ran a 10.15 or something like that. I was just curious as to what the normal human runs it in.

Its 3.2 isn't it with and considering that hill climb, that seems about average to me.

I haven't done it yet though, so I don't fully understand the terrain.

3.8 mate, decent hill on anderson st but the rest is fairly easy.

I have run low 13 minutes there a fair few times, but that was at my fittest. I dare say 15 - 16 minutes might be more y level now!

From wiki - Best time 10min 12 seconds

The Tan

Royal Botanic Gardens: The National Herbarium of Victoria - founded in 1853There is a 3.8 km running track parallel to the perimeter fence of the Botanic Gardens. Officially termed The Tan Track as it has a surface of tan colored stone aggregate, it is more commonly and affectionately known as The Tan.

The Tan originally served as a horse track for Melbourne's well-heeled, and is now one of Melbourne's most frequented locations for joggers. Locals, visitors and famous alike now share the space as its international reputation has grown. The Tan is often used in training by professional athletes, such as AFL footballers, particularly during pre-season time-trials. Running greats such as Hicham El Guerrouj, Steve Ovett, Cathy Freeman, and Sonia O'Sullivan have all rubbed shoulders with the general public on The Tan.

The quickest lap of the Tan has been held by such notable Australian runners as Robert de Castella and Steve Moneghetti (10:41, 2003). The current record is 10 minutes and 12 seconds, run by Craig Mottram in 2004. On the 21st of December, 2006, Craig Mottram unofficially broke his personal best time around the tan, running a scorching 10 minutes and 8 seconds while running with the Richmond Football Club during their pre-season training. He gave the footballers a two-and-a-half minute head start and still managed to beat them comprehensively[3].

The inaugural Go the Tan run was held in early February 2006, and provides the opportunity for participants to run, jog or walk around The Tan and receive an official time.

I cant exactly remember, I think 16m or 18m depending if we went UP the hill or down Anderson St. From memory it was always 2minutes difference though.
personally i think its easier running up anderson st hill then the other way due to the slope on the rest of the course where you either get a gradual increase or decrcease for about 1.5k

Did it in 14.21 in Dec 08, my best time for a long shot. I alternate directions because I think going round the other way (starting from the shrine) is good for a long steady hill to finish. If I ran against Motram he would beat me by just over 1km...thats scary

personally i think its easier running up anderson st hill then the other way due to the slope on the rest of the course where you either get a gradual increase or decrcease for about 1.5k
I disagree. I reckon start up near the shrine / observatory. Run clockwise and up the Anderson St Hill.
This means you need a lot of discipline to get the most out of yourself and not just coast downhill early. Push along the flat straight at the bottom and then bust your lungs on a pretty long climb home. Not too sure if it's easier or harder, should be much-of-a-muchness so long as you do a full lap and return to the point you started.
It feels hard enough ;)

I run very fast.
I can cover 1 km in 3 minutes.
This speed is because of daily running practive.
I have won various running competitions.

I run very fast.
I can cover 1 km in 3 minutes.
This speed is because of daily running practive.
I have won various running competitions.

Do you know how to cure aids?

Thailand Camp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12:12 we ran clockwise dont know if that is the regular way or not, i did it witha pt group which seriousley helped with the last Km. got came second got beaten by 2 second! Only been there the once though,

Was.. In 09
22 / 179cm / 75-80kg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back