How good’s winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup, and completely deserved because it was a tactically inept performance in the last 10 minutes. It's not even just running hard. It's purely in the set up and a lack of game sense. Why aren't you setting up with 7-8 defenders once you've got a stoppage? Why don't you have someone sitting deeper if you know they're going for the torp down the middle. That's as much on Nicks as it is the players, though I'm certain there are many more pressing issues then that.

I don't mind that we broke down if Nicks and co. spend a bit of time working on it during the season. You've got your cake and are able to eat it too in that situation because we did get away with it. It does deserve criticism though, after all, that'll come back to haunt us pretty quickly if we don't put time into it, especially if we don't have the stamina to run out games.
It was 30 degrees and we played with a rotation down for 3 quarters and had 3 players who played injured, especially Hinge who was effectively a cone on the field for rotations only due to his shoulder. I just don’t get your criticism at all given the circumstances. Geelong are a seasoned team that have refined their game plan for years, we are at the start of a rebuild, that’s why the win was so gutsy. Enjoy the bloody win, that’s what this thread is about!

I know where you're coming from, but I thought I saw Nicks gesticualting wildly late in the last for them to get back. I found it hard to see on TV whether they did, though.
Some of our players were severely cramping in that last quarter, which makes it hard to get back and defend against a team that moves the ball fast like Geelong can. However, we were able to regroup with about 10 minutes left and hold a 2 goal lead until the end, that shows good coaching and also grit from our players.

Some of our players were severely cramping in that last quarter, which makes it hard to get back and defend against a team that moves the ball fast like Geelong can. However, we were able to regroup with about 10 minutes left and hold a 2 goal lead until the end, that shows good coaching and also grit from our players.
Wouldn’t call Geelong fast ball movers

I wish this week would ever end. What a great feeling, up and about!
Hoping to feel the same after game 2. Come on!

Was an amazing vibe in the crowd

We all went there with zero expectations. Watching football last year and even the year before had become a real chore. The wins we did have were grinding affairs

Out of nowhere there was some freedom and enjoyment to our play. Collectively we were holy sh*t initially then it slowly dawned on us that it wasn't just a couple of token goals before Geelong woke up, we were genuinely playing well.

The mood around the ground was so uplifting. Hopefully it wasn't an oasis in the desert
So much room on the hill too!

Yup, and completely deserved because it was a tactically inept performance in the last 10 minutes. It's not even just running hard. It's purely in the set up and a lack of game sense. Why aren't you setting up with 7-8 defenders once you've got a stoppage? Why don't you have someone sitting deeper if you know they're going for the torp down the middle. That's as much on Nicks as it is the players, though I'm certain there are many more pressing issues then that.

I don't mind that we broke down if Nicks and co. spend a bit of time working on it during the season. You've got your cake and are able to eat it too in that situation because we did get away with it. It does deserve criticism though, after all, that'll come back to haunt us pretty quickly if we don't put time into it, especially if we don't have the stamina to run out games.

We must have been watching different games.

Lynch went back as a loose man in the closing minutes of the game.

We must have been watching different games.

Lynch went back as a loose man in the closing minutes of the game.

Could just be that I missed it. I just wasn't impressed with us having a lot of forwards in the dying minutes.

Crows have some winnable games coming up:

North (a)
Fremantle (h)
Hawthorn (a)
GWS (h)

You guys could win all of those.

It's the Showdown after that. And obviously Port will start favourites.

But if the Crows got to 4-3 or 5-2 or even 6-1, would that change the expectations among Crows supporters?

You won three games last year but you could quite feasibly have more than that by R7.

I dunno. Still early. But I wish you well. And "rebuilding" looks a whole lot different if you can win and be competitive along the way.

Good luck.

North (a)
Fremantle (h)
Hawthorn (a)
GWS (h)

But if the Crows got to 4-3 or 5-2 or even 6-1, would that change the expectations among Crows supporters?

You won three games last year but you could quite feasibly have more than that by R7.

I dunno. Still early. But I wish you well. And "rebuilding" looks a whole lot different if you can win and be competitive along the way.

Good luck.

it would change my Jason Horne expectations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the way some Victorian clubs use "rebuilding" as an excuse to be not even competitive.

That won't fly in WA or SA.

The Crows are rebuilding as well but FMD give me the Crows over North or Essendon every day of the week.

Carry on!

North (a)
Fremantle (h)
Hawthorn (a)
GWS (h)

Good luck.
Current form I would expect 6-1 or 5-2. My expectation this season was about 8 wins.

Current form I would expect 6-1 or 5-2. My expectation this season was about 8 wins.
So the tricky question becomes, does that alter the list managemant strategy?

If you guys get to the end of 2021 and you've been OK, what does that do?

Last year suggested a hard bottoming out - probably for the first time in your history.

If you win 8-10 games this year, does it re-route that?

If there's a more appropriate thread for this question, please let me know.

All I'm saying is that the Crows, like the Eagles, don't have the luxury of being awful for 5 years and having excuses made for them because they're "rebuilding". I hope you bounce back quickly to make this point. The Crows were every bit as bad as North Melbounre in 2020 but look how they can recover. What's the difference?

Last edited:

Last year suggested a hard bottoming out - probably for the first time in your history.

All I'm saying is that the Crows, like the Eagles, don't have the luxury of being awful for 5 years and having excuses made for them because they're "rebuilding". I hope you bounce back quickly to make this point. The Crows were every bit as bad as North Melbounre in 2020 but look how they can recover. What's the difference?
No not at all. It’s about driving the standards of the younger players in the team. Problem last year they came back badly unfit from the COVID break. This preseason everyone has trained hard and come back in good shape. Walker is a good example.

it’s about getting many games into the younger players. Next year they should be a middle road team before 2023 is the year where finals will be expecteD.

No not at all. It’s about driving the standards of the younger players in the team. Problem last year they came back badly unfit from the COVID break. This preseason everyone has trained hard and come back in good shape. Walker is a good example.

it’s about getting many games into the younger players. Next year they should be a middle road team before 2023 is the year where finals will be expecteD.
Who do you think should be traded at the end of this season?

Who do you think should be traded at the end of this season?
I wouldn’t trade anyone. But movement is required for improvement whilst rebuilding. Maybe let Crouch go via free agency but that all depends on development of younger players. McAsey will be a likely one traded, but I would do this to get another high draft pick. At current rate, Crows will miss out on drafting Horne. By 2022 crows should be targeting free agency players to top current crop.

The difference is the right coach who understands the shape of the list, we didn't completely gut the list leaving only kids behind and our senior plays whilst not great the last few years 3 of them have been AA in Smith Laird Sloane then you add in Tex one of the best forwards for the last decade.
Them playing well is allowing the kids to develop and be just ok and learn the ropes.

North are relying on their Kids to do all the heavy lifting plus have no elite senior players and lacking leadership.

I wouldn’t trade anyone. But movement is required for improvement whilst rebuilding.
So you would trade?

Maybe let Crouch go via free agency but that all depends on development of younger players. McAsey will be a likely one traded, but I would do this to get another high draft pick. At current rate, Crows will miss out on drafting Horne. By 2022 crows should be targeting free agency players to top current crop.
As it stands, the Crows have a first-rounder, two second-rounders and then not much.

I guess Crouch would bring Band 2 and McAsey might get you a pick in the 20s.

That would be maybe 5 picks in the top 40.

The difference is the right coach who understands the shape of the list, we didn't completely gut the list leaving only kids behind and our senior plays whilst not great the last few years 3 of them have been AA in Smith Laird Sloane then you add in Tex one of the best forwards for the last decade.
Them playing well is allowing the kids to develop and be just ok and learn the ropes.

North are relying on their Kids to do all the heavy lifting plus have no elite senior players and lacking leadership.
That's fine. But presumably you still want to strengthen your draft hand?

So you would trade?

As it stands, the Crows have a first-rounder, two second-rounders and then not much.

I guess Crouch would bring Band 2 and McAsey might get you a pick in the 20s.

That would be maybe 5 picks in the top 40.

That's fine. But presumably you still want to strengthen your draft hand?
You only trade at the right price. McAsey value probably late first given he was pick 6 two years ago. His value depends on his form in SANFL and if he gets a run in AFL team.

Given crouch has been all Australian and bnf winner. He could demand enough salary as band 1 but there is a lot to play out.

I would be packaging a player and draft pick to get another high draft pick. Port was ruthless at the trade table and that is where they are now. Given the list I expect 1-2 retire along with a couple delistings. Crows probably looking at drafting 3-4 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back