Toast How good is Brad Ebert - 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite players. I am glad he bounced back and is having a good season so far.
Our younger daughter went out with a guy who was /is very good friends with Brad. He was in awe of Brad's professionalism, his humble modesty

and just sheer determination to never let the family name down. I remember posting here that after multiple head knocks and in light of parenthood

that maybe Brad should hang up his boots. He ain't perfect but sheesh you'd want him in the trenches with you coz you'd know he'd have your back.

Great ambassador for the club, terrific player and an even better bloke.

Congrats mate all credit to you and richly deserved.

To add to my post above I know he was hurt from his time at WCE. The fast and loose life style of some of their "A Listers" was never Brad's calling

and watching him bust his guts to get open only to be burnt by their hotdogging show ponies with their pretty kicks was enough to churn my stomach.

Glad he came back to his roots where he was appreciated for what he did and who he was.

If he plays another 12 games this year then 20 in 2021 gets him to 282. DOB is 20/4/90 so will the club give him another year to get to 300? Why not if he is still playing like he has been this year.

Last edited:
I've been doing some stats on 200/250/300 gamers for a couple of years.

If both Ebo and Sydney's Josh Kennedy play on the weekend they both play their 250th game and will be the 253rd and 254th player to reach that milestone in the V/AFL. Reaching that this year has also been Dangerfield and Grant Birchall. So at start of the season only 250 players had played 250+ games.

Each year the AFL Record Season Guide book produces stats on what percentage of players have reached different milestones. But this is somewhat skewed as the competition wasn't national and some of the greats who played between 250 and 400+ senior games in the 3 major state leagues, didn't play much in VFL to get to be part of that stat eg Farmer, Cable, Ebert, Phillips etc.

At the start of the year 250 players of the 12,762 that have played at least 1 V/AFL games have played 250+ games ie 1.95%

But the book has stats on how many players have debuted each year for each club since 1955.

So between 1987 (expansion of VFL) and 2019 3,009 players have played at least 1 game and of those who have debuted since Rd 1 1987, 160 of those have played at least 250 games ie 5.31%.

That is a truer guide of what sort of percentage get to 250 games rather than use 1898 type stats when they only played 14 games a year and then 17 and then 18 games a year up to end of 1967.

As a proof that its about 5%, Bradley (375), Platten (258) and Kernahan (251) debuted in 1986 after playing 100+ games in SANFL and along with Loewe and Liberatore they got to 250 and in 1986, 93 players debuted in the VFL.

So to have 3 x 250 gamers on a list of 45 (Hoff, Boak, Ebo) we are about AFL average.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming that Champion Data ranking points are the be-all and end-all of a player's worth, but to give you some guide as to how good Brad has been this year, he's currently ranked third in the league for ranking points among forwards. Not third at the club, third in the league.

Reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Also, it is hard to quantify his worth to the team in terms of spiritual leadership, and his role-model in professionalism and commitment. To me, his carrying the Ebert name, and the way he has done so with his gut-busting efforts each week, are a tangible link to the Prison Bars and the real Port Adelaide. Both him and Boak will go down as Legends in my mind for the role they played in bringing the team and club back to our roots after we wandered away post 2007.

There would be very few players in the league who work as hard as Ebert, and dare I say, for the first half a dozen weeks every year he might be a top 5 player in the league.

Has continued that trend this year. I had written him off last year but so far he has proven me wrong so far in 2020. If he can continue this form he will be getting a game pretty much every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll put my hand up and say I thought he was finished last year after multiple concussions and poor form. However, he has been very good so far this year. His spot in the side looked on shaky ground even in round 1 but he is locked in the 22 now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congratulations Brad on reaching 200 games. I respect how you put in 100 percent every time you play a game for us. Let’s hope you achieve your dream of a premiership this year.

Never understood the question marks over Ebo, he's been such a consistent and durable player for such a long time and was always going to bounce back strongly after an injury interrupted season last year.

Congrats on 250 games, great achievement.

Congrats Brad. Why not to be a Shaun Burgoyne and get better? He has the fitness and is durable specimen - if you ignore all the head knocks and open cuts. I still remember that amazing game in 2014 v Sydney (@ SCG) where he had something like 35 possessions and was BOG.

He seems to have found is ideal position / role right now and is relishing it! If we are to have a big year, Brad needs to keep the bar high and lead from the front as he is doing right now.

Congrats Brad. Why not to be a Shaun Burgoyne and get better? He has the fitness and is durable specimen - if you ignore all the head knocks and open cuts. I still remember that amazing game in 2014 v Sydney (@ SCG) where he had something like 35 possessions and was BOG.

He seems to have found is ideal position / role right now and is relishing it! If we are to have a big year, Brad needs to keep the bar high and lead from the front as he is doing right now.

Don’t mean to nitpick but Burgoyne didn’t get better, he is just playing in an easier position on the ground where his deficiencies are hidden.

He went from AA mid (only individual award, ever) and clearance machine at Port, to 7th banana on a HBF for arguably the greatest team of the modern era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have been done before the season (first) got under way, when the captains gathered in Melbourne. Ebo must have made a good impression on Shannon Hurn for him to think Brad played 130 games for WCE - it was only 76 ;)

Our younger daughter went out with a guy who was /is very good friends with Brad. He was in awe of Brad's professionalism, his humble modesty

and just sheer determination to never let the family name down. I remember posting here that after multiple head knocks and in light of parenthood

that maybe Brad should hang up his boots. He ain't perfect but sheesh you'd want him in the trenches with you coz you'd know he'd have your back.

Great ambassador for the club, terrific player and an even better bloke.

Congrats mate all credit to you and richly deserved.

and always have spare bandages on him.

Seriously, great bloke and plays the Port Adelaide way. It was huge getting him back. Congrats Ebo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back