How good is our draw ^^

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
At seasons start our draw was about mid range, as the season has developed teams we play twice have had mixed results and some of the ones we play now only once have become movers and shakers.

On our double ups, West Coast, Essendon and Port, who we might have expected to be challenging are struggling, we owe Carlton and I think we should be able to roll them next time around and we have Hawthorn who we also should have the edge on.

In games ahead, of the current top 8, we play Freo, Brisbane, Collingwood and Geelong at the MCG, only Sydney we have to play away.

It really is in our hands, we have likely ended up with the best draw of any team for 2022.

I am sure there is a little discomfort about Richmond amongst the contenders.

At seasons start our draw was about mid range, as the season has developed teams we play twice have had mixed results and some of the ones we play now only once have become movers and shakers.

On our double ups, West Coast, Essendon and Port, who we might have expected to be challenging are struggling, we owe Carlton and I think we should be able to roll them next time around and we have Hawthorn who we also should have the edge on.

In games ahead, of the current top 8, we play Freo, Brisbane, Collingwood and Geelong at the MCG, only Sydney we have to play away.

It really is in our hands, we have likely ended up with the best draw of any team for 2022.

I am sure there is a little discomfort about Richmond amongst the contenders.
Don't go too early, if we don't get past the Pies then suddenly all of the games you listed look tough again.

I remember thinking something similar at the halfway mark of last year. We had played all the tough teams and only had the easier teams remaining. Then we crapped the bed. Injuries played a huge part in that but it does make me a little cynical about our 'Golden Fixture'.

In saying that, I do think we'll get on a great run now with players returning (most notably Dusty) and us placing players back into more suitable positions. I don't think a Top 4 finish is out of the question

I think with our list it would be nice to play finals with at least 5-6 new young faces. I still can't put a handle on where we're at bc of not being able to put our best 22 on the park. The year so far is replicating early last year and let's hope with all our important senior players up and running and the growth of youngsters combine to make us more consistent.

I think with our list it would be nice to play finals with at least 5-6 new young faces. I still can't put a handle on where we're at bc of not being able to put our best 22 on the park. The year so far is replicating early last year and let's hope with all our important senior players up and running and the growth of youngsters combine to make us more consistent.
I think we are a middle range team with probably -10% chance at winning the flag

Our defence is good enough
Our Fwd line is good enough
Our Rucks are good enough

Our Mids are just plain simply not anywhere near the top sides
We really are 2 top line inside mids short of being a serious flag threat

I think we are a middle range team with probably -10% chance at winning the flag

Our defence is good enough
Our Fwd line is good enough
Our Rucks are good enough

Our Mids are just plain simply not anywhere near the top sides
We really are 2 top line inside mids short of being a serious flag threat
I agree with the mids , but i'm also concerned about Jack as I think he's gong to struggle as the year wears on. I said playing finals would be nice, but have no further aspirations in going to the last day in September. I just want us to go hard at the draft for two more years and develop some new faces b4 we make another serious challenge. Our current list is a mid tabled side as you say , so just playing finals would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly !

Whats the point of having a good draw if the players forget to turn up to play the games we should win.
Crows game was a disgrace
u cant win with that kind of umpiring

Umpires have been murdering us for years, in the end it has not mattered, we have still won 3 grand finals.

Note: on the SEN tables remember the teams with lower frees for than us in 5 year totals didn't play 12 finals like we did.

As to earlier results this year we can't change those, (Adelaide also rolled the Bulldogs at Marvel remember) but we can get on a roll 'with luck'. We know we wont win them all (Melbourne will lose a couple somewhere along the way), we just need to win enough to get to the post season where we have won 11 of our past 12 games (most of the guys who won all those games are still playing for us) and we would play most of our games at the MCG.

It is easy to think about how it all might go wrong, but more exciting to think of how it might go right! ;)

Glass half full guys, keep the faith.

Umpires have been murdering us for years, in the end it has not mattered, we have still won 3 grand finals.

Note: on the SEN tables remember the teams with lower frees for than us in 5 year totals didn't play 12 finals like we did.

As to earlier results this year we can't change those, (Adelaide also rolled the Bulldogs at Marvel remember) but we can get on a roll 'with luck'. We know we wont win them all (Melbourne will lose a couple somewhere along the way), we just need to win enough to get to the post season where we have won 11 of our past 12 games (most of the guys who won all those games are still playing for us) and we would play most of our games at the MCG.

It is easy to think about how it all might go wrong, but more exciting to think of how it might go right! ;)

Glass half full guys, keep the faith.

At this stage looking at our fixture, I think I would have us favourite in 10 of the remaining 15 games. Quite a few of those 10 games will still take some winning though. There are probably no matches where we would be getting greater than about a 1-2 goal start if they were played this week, so you wouldn’t be writing any of the remaining matches off at this stage..

So given our relatively easy draw, our penchant for finishing seasons better than we start them, and the fact our list seems to be getting healthier and in some cases like Stack, fitter, and fingers crossed a few recent positional changes work out well, we could yet be a chance for a top 6 finish, home final week one, and from there who knows. You would think at least a couple of teams are too good for us in the end even if plenty goes right, but it would be good to get a chance to put them to the test. 😁

Coming off the bye last year we were in 8th with the next 3 games against 12th, 15th and 16th, as well as games against 17th and 18th still ahead.

Considered a lock for the 8 and an outside chance at Top 4 - and we all know what happened next.

Let's just get past the Pies first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back