reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
just got bored of the footy tonight and started watching random footy show clips.

I watched it from when I was about 7 in 1997. Peak for me was the JB and Garry years absolute arrogant w***ers I’m sure but those two with Sam, Billy and Shane made some great tv - you could tell they were great mates.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Even in hindsight it was mostly garbage. Not particular funny, and just full of memes eg Garry on the stretcher or the little grabs of Tony Lockett.

Street Talk was always the highlight, and even that pretty much writes itself. Travel to Moe, spend an hour interviewing some of the towns finest, get the odd nuffie and you're rolling.

Before The Game was always my favourite weekly footy entertainment show.

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was big time, there was a still lot of money washing around commercial TV around then. Eddie was a fantastic news-breaker. The shows that are on now are either too footy-focussed or so unremittingly safe and low key (Front Bar)...Molloy is a fake, all that "I was riding in the back of Divvy vans when I was 17..." - no you weren't :rolleyes:

May 22, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It was big time, there was a still lot of money washing around commercial TV around then. Eddie was a fantastic news-breaker.

Peak era was definitely when Eddie was hosting, with Sam, and Trevor behind the bar (who could be a bit hit-or-miss).

Footy players on the panel in that era were less homogenised too!

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
Eddie was great in the early years I remember 2004/2005 there were some great shows but some very boring all about me Eddie I run Victoria shows. I thought JB and Garry did well especially from 06-13; it was a different show but s was a great show to watch and relax.

I didn’t watch it after JB left except for a few shows when Eddie came back in 2017- and you just knew if Eddie didn’t become the boss of channel 9 and Garry/JB took over the show would have been canned probably 8-10 years earlier.

I don’t watch any of the current footy shows on fox except for Monday footy classified and the Sunday Footy show which has a very similar feel to the JB/Garry footy show

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I enjoyed it growing up in the 90’s although I thought the Garry/JB years were the best. I know it’s the cool thing to look back and say it was rubbish but there were some genuinely epic moments over the years.

Unfortunately in 2012 when C9 moved the show from 9:30pm to 8:30pm, they drove the first nail into its coffin. It was never a family pc friendly show and the minute they tried to turn it into one, they killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It was big time, there was a still lot of money washing around commercial TV around then. Eddie was a fantastic news-breaker. The shows that are on now are either too footy-focussed or so unremittingly safe and low key (Front Bar)...Molloy is a fake, all that "I was riding in the back of Divvy vans when I was 17..." - no you weren't :rolleyes:

Yeah agree. Used to love Molloy on The Late Show and Martin Molloy, but the whole ‘I only wear a suit to court’ schtick is ridiculous. He went to Peninsula Grammar FFS.

just got bored of the footy tonight and started watching random footy show clips.

I watched it from when I was about 7 in 1997. Peak for me was the JB and Garry years absolute arrogant w***ers I’m sure but those two with Sam, Billy and Shane made some great tv - you could tell they were great mates.

Definitely unfashionable now but I also loved watching it as a kid. It'll come back in some other form but as the saying goes "you gotta go away to come back".

Yeah agree. Used to love Molloy on The Late Show and Martin Molloy, but the whole ‘I only wear a suit to court’ schtick is ridiculous. He went to Peninsula Grammar FFS.

an act to appeal to the common man/woman.

he has membership to one of the best golf clubs in the land. and a property on it.

toottoot

Senior List
Mar 7, 2012
Over the bridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
The footy show panelists were great back in the Eddie, Sam and Trev days. There was genuine banter, they weren’t muffled and they actively participated in the gags. The likes of Dougie, Dermie, Manton, Dunstall, Spida etc were all great characters.
The segments where they'd get Roland and Sam on camera together were always comedy gold.
The segment where Sam came out in a Tutu - Especially Sam's line about breaking the suction still makes me crack up

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched from the very beginning and we need to bear in mind the climate back then:

- No direct competitor at the time
- The first outlet for the teams as this was well before internet was a major factor
- No real censorship of players/coaches who were guests. Characters were encouraged and welcomed not censored.
- The PC was very different. We would look back now in 2021 at 1994 Street Talk and cringe as there were many elements that were highly borderline in terms of the demographic targeted BUT most people were less likely to speak negatively of it now. Not saying some of what was done was right but it was a very different time.
- Eddie/Sam/Trevor had a brilliant rapport and it showed in how well they worked together. As did much of their panel such as Dunstall/Brereton/Tim Watson/Craig Kelly/Doug Hawkins and many more.

In those days it was gold. Will never forget the night Ted Whitten died and the show managed it absolutely perfectly. It wasn't about who could outdo each other with cheap rubbish and Garry Lyon on stretchers x 1000.

enzso

Senior List
Mar 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Sunday Footy Show is the only footy show worth watching IMO.

Used to be. When Chompers stopped a discussion dead on Sunday to point out Browny missed an item on the rundown, then Browny tried to defend himself, then Chompers backed over it the show ground to a halt. Just move on boys, nobody watching gives a s**t

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Come on, Street talk was ok, all willing paticipants and good humoured. I remember precisely nothing of it that was nasty or over the top. What is over the top now is woke culture...and thats what killed it !
I know. At least Newman actually visited those places, talked to anyone and everyone. The only time the "Enlightened" go anywhere near Sunshine or Pascoe Vale is when they fly over on the aeroplane to Europe

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
it was good until about 2009 where they just started "lookalikes" and just replaying the same clips over and over. It got lazy very quickly, and footy humour evolved quickly and it didn't catch up

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Come on, Street talk was ok, all willing paticipants and good humoured. I remember precisely nothing of it that was nasty or over the top. What is over the top now is woke culture...and thats what killed it !

The fact that its brand of "comedy" was to consistently punch down - be it stupid people, women, Indigenous people - that killed it. That, and the hosts just wanted it to be about themselves, to the point they'd get 2 players to sit there quietly like arseholes for 2 hours.

I don't remember it being as bad when it started, I think it got much worse with Lyon and Brayshaw. But I was only a kid who couldn't stay up to watch it all the time in the 90s, so maybe it was always terrible.

Back