How good was Tyson Edwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Couttsy

Debutant
Dec 5, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see that he played 321 games for Adelaide but I know next to nothing about him. How good was he? Who could you compare him to?

I see that he played 321 games for Adelaide but I know next to nothing about him. How good was he? Who could you compare him to?
A crow legend... if his son is half as good .. we'll do alright. Had it not been for the macca in fighting ... could have been even better imho. Wasnt a superstar.. but you dont get to 300 and be only average. Also had to battle cancer if i remember correctly.

Gun!

From this thread

A player who regularly appears in Most Under-Rated Player lists, he was always behind the Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin triumvirate in our midfield - the Nigel Lappin of the Adelaide Crows. Like Goodwin, he was another South Australian player we picked up in the preseason draft – oh, to be able to find champions via this route now!

He got his start under Robert Shaw, as did a number of our best players. As with McLeod, Goodwin and Ricciuto, he served an apprenticeship in defence before making his mark as a midfielder. I really cannot understand why we have moved away from this system.

Reportedly he was troubled by self-doubt early in his career but his key roles in the 1997 and 1998 premiership teams gave him the confidence that he could excel at this level. His smother on Chris Grant’s hurried snap at goal in the dying minutes of the 1997 preliminary final is one for the ages. Then with seconds remaining, Scott West hurried a kick forward inside 50. Edwards marked it, handballed to Rod Jameson who kicked to the safety of the member’s wing. The siren sounded soon after.

He had unbelievable balance, never lost his feet, was two-sided, handled the ball brilliantly, won plenty of the footy, despite being 176cm tall was an excellent overhead mark and had uncanny goal sense. A fan favourite, he won the Member’s Player of the Year more than a few times from memory. He never won a Best & Fairest, but was at the pointy end of the count regularly. From 2000-2008, his finishes were 4th, 7th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th – remarkable consistency.

His 300th game was stunning, as he gathered 41 disposals in our 16 point win over Essendon at Etihad. It remains one of our best wins as Kurt Tippett (7 goals) and Chris Knights (5) ran riot and we threaded a number of miracle goals on our way to a 21.4 scoreline.

Tragically he finished his career as the ‘bad guy’ after the long-running Hewitt-McLeod-Edwards saga and his botched final season. The public weren’t aware but he had battled cancer in between the 2009 and 2010 seasons, played poorly at the start of 2010 and was dropped. He decided to retire and was initially refused a farewell game before pressure from his team mates forced a change of heart.

In his farewell game he kicked 2 goals and gathered 32 touches as we knocked off Fremantle at home (who were 2nd on the ladder at the time). There remains some doubt as to his current relationship with the club which is a shame, especially as one of his sons is apparently showing a bit of talent! Hopefully the rift can be healed but it is disappointing that Edwards, Rehn and Modra have all finished their Adelaide careers with a slightly bitter taste in the mouth.

He even missed the grand finale of the 2010 season, which was the last minor round game where Goodwin, McLeod, Hentschel and Burton all made their farewells. Edwards wasn’t part of it (his choice) having already had his farewell earlier in the season. It all goes to show that the fairy tale finish – chaired off in your final game after a premiership win – just doesn’t come around too often. Shane Crawford aside.

Gun!

From this thread

A player who regularly appears in Most Under-Rated Player lists, he was always behind the Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin triumvirate in our midfield - the Nigel Lappin of the Adelaide Crows. Like Goodwin, he was another South Australian player we picked up in the preseason draft – oh, to be able to find champions via this route now!

He got his start under Robert Shaw, as did a number of our best players. As with McLeod, Goodwin and Ricciuto, he served an apprenticeship in defence before making his mark as a midfielder. I really cannot understand why we have moved away from this system.

Reportedly he was troubled by self-doubt early in his career but his key roles in the 1997 and 1998 premiership teams gave him the confidence that he could excel at this level. His smother on Chris Grant’s hurried snap at goal in the dying minutes of the 1997 preliminary final is one for the ages. Then with seconds remaining, Scott West hurried a kick forward inside 50. Edwards marked it, handballed to Rod Jameson who kicked to the safety of the member’s wing. The siren sounded soon after.

He had unbelievable balance, never lost his feet, was two-sided, handled the ball brilliantly, won plenty of the footy, despite being 176cm tall was an excellent overhead mark and had uncanny goal sense. A fan favourite, he won the Member’s Player of the Year more than a few times from memory. He never won a Best & Fairest, but was at the pointy end of the count regularly. From 2000-2008, his finishes were 4th, 7th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th – remarkable consistency.

His 300th game was stunning, as he gathered 41 disposals in our 16 point win over Essendon at Etihad. It remains one of our best wins as Kurt Tippett (7 goals) and Chris Knights (5) ran riot and we threaded a number of miracle goals on our way to a 21.4 scoreline.

Tragically he finished his career as the ‘bad guy’ after the long-running Hewitt-McLeod-Edwards saga and his botched final season. The public weren’t aware but he had battled cancer in between the 2009 and 2010 seasons, played poorly at the start of 2010 and was dropped. He decided to retire and was initially refused a farewell game before pressure from his team mates forced a change of heart.

In his farewell game he kicked 2 goals and gathered 32 touches as we knocked off Fremantle at home (who were 2nd on the ladder at the time). There remains some doubt as to his current relationship with the club which is a shame, especially as one of his sons is apparently showing a bit of talent! Hopefully the rift can be healed but it is disappointing that Edwards, Rehn and Modra have all finished their Adelaide careers with a slightly bitter taste in the mouth.

He even missed the grand finale of the 2010 season, which was the last minor round game where Goodwin, McLeod, Hentschel and Burton all made their farewells. Edwards wasn’t part of it (his choice) having already had his farewell earlier in the season. It all goes to show that the fairy tale finish – chaired off in your final game after a premiership win – just doesn’t come around too often. Shane Crawford aside.
Yay another chance to post my favourite youtube video.

Remember watching a game at the MCG against Carlton in the 2000s where he so dominated in the centre that Carlton supporters around me were going mad demanding that "someone please stand next to that bald campaigner, he's killing us". It was a fair call as well, nearly every clearance in the second half was Edwards banging the ball into our F50...and not like how we do it now with a round the body kick, this was straightening up and honoring leads sort of inside 50 kicks.

Man, our generations missed by about 2 years. In 2009 we had Bock, Burton, Mcleod, Goodwin, Edwards, Rutton at one end and Dangers, Vince, Sloane, Douglas , Knights, Johncock, Maric , Davis, Bock at the other.
If our current superstars were 2 years older things may have been a lot different.

Top player. Always balanced. Good decision maker. Consistent over a long career. Hopefully will be the gift that keeps on giving with Jackson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quickest comparison right now would be to go watch Rory Laird.
Spent a lot of time in a back pocket in the early years racking up 30 odd touches a game, regularly described as consistent and underrated.

Gun!

I was at that game:thumbsu: the goalkicking was second to none with Dougy kicking an inside out checkside on the run from 50 odd and Maric snapping one and doing a dance around the boundary.

Tyson was late to the after match function at the ground because he lost one of his kids.

He had a don't argue as good as Dusty Martin....that would be the only other attribute I would add. Would love to see him Goody and Bassett in coaching roles at our great club.

Gun!

From this thread

Nice post, mate. I just recall how clean his disposals were either by hand or foot. Natural ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards was an elite player, playing amongst a group with a lot of other elite players. This is why he doesn't get as much accolades because Roo and McCleod were the more accomplished ones, and Goodwin also just pips him for accomplishments but they are of similar quality.
Edwards isn't so much underrated by anyone, as I think it's fair to say majority of fans/media does rate him highly. The better term is 'unheralded'.
Very rarely gets beaten in one-on-ones!

Gun!

From this thread

Good descriptive post, I think Mods has got over it since I've seen him walking around AO in section 124 a couple times this season.

Speaking of 124 I love how the blokes out the back who seem
like a real cheer squad make the people in the front few rows seem rubbish in comparison. You can tell the dude who leads it up the front absolutely hates those guys yelling goooooooooo you crows or whatever it is

God I loved that game. I still rate it as one of the best I've ever seen, Crows or otherwise. No boring defensive crap, just 2 teams going at it in a shootout of the highest quality. If you asked me for a template of what I'd like every match to be, I'd point to that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back