How good was Tyson Edwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

God I loved that game. I still rate it as one of the best I've ever seen, Crows or otherwise. No boring defensive crap, just 2 teams going at it in a shootout of the highest quality. If you asked me for a template of what I'd like every match to be, I'd point to that one.
I totally agree.

Yay another chance to post my favourite youtube video.

Imagine if we had the midfield playing in that game right now.

Goodwin, McLeod, Edwards, Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, Douglas, Knights, plus an in form Mackay and Van Berlo

Awesome game, horrible Guernsey. Those were the kind of performances Sydney must have thought they were likely to expect from Tippet every week... Makes the sting of that whole saga a little less painful I suppose
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!! THATS THE BEST DAMN AWAY JUMPER WE'VE HAD!!!!

He was a champ. I remember his early days under Shaw and Blight and having my Old Man next to me saying ahh Edwards fumbled again or fell over again. Blighty had a lot of faith in him although dropped him a few times in the premiership years. Enter Gary Ayres who took Tys aside at the start of 2000 telling him that its time he stood up. Ayres played him in the midfield instead of Half Back and from them he started racking up 30 touches a game.

This tells his the tale

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tyson_Edwards.html

Only one 20 possession game in 1997 and none in 1998. One in 1999 then came Ayres in 2000 with 11 games 20+ possessions and from then on in was ver consistent.

I think Blighty dropping him had a huge impact and Ayres/Craig got the reward for it.

Only one 20 possession game in 1977 and none in 1998. One in 1999 then came Ayres in 2000 with 11 games 20+ possessions and from then on in was ver consistent.

I think Blighty dropping him had a huge impact and Ayres/Craig got the reward for it.

Should have had more kids coming through by now...

He was a champ. I remember his early days under Shaw and Blight and having my Old Man next to me saying ahh Edwards fumbled again or fell over again. Blighty had a lot of faith in him although dropped him a few times in the premiership years. Enter Gary Ayres who took Tys aside at the start of 2000 telling him that its time he stood up. Ayres played him in the midfield instead of Half Back and from them he started racking up 30 touches a game.

This tells his the tale

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tyson_Edwards.html

Only one 20 possession game in 1977 and none in 1998. One in 1999 then came Ayres in 2000 with 11 games 20+ possessions and from then on in was ver consistent.

Robert Shaw bringing him in as a first choice back pocket as an 18 year old was good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson Edwards, how good?

MMM-good, so good, REAL good.

My nickname for him was THE SPOOK because he seemed to materialise from nowhere at critical times and places all over the ground and do something good for the team, then disappear to re-appear 80m away. When added to his quiet, undemonstrative manner/personality (at least on-field) it probably explains why he never won a B&F or AA position. Never flashy, so he often went unnoticed, but rarely made a mistake either.
This description:
Unobtrusively incomparable.
is eloquent, spot-on.
I can't remember a single interview with Edwards who was the personification of low-profile. The feud with McLeod and Hewitt never seemed to affect his synergy with McLeod on the field, amazingly, and they linked together often with silky fluency and excellent accuracy/efficiency.
Edwards first caught my eye in a back pocket for West Adelaide where he used to guard the resting small-rover --- remember those days, when a small, nuggety bloke used to try to smother a small forward?
I'd give my leftie to have Edwards, Roo, McLeod and Goodwin rotating through our midfield now.

Hi all,

pardon the intrusion!

Le Grille and myself are hosting a new series of Podcasts for the main board, and we have started one called "BigFooty Blast from the past"

where we are going to try and interview a past player from each team.

I'm here to let you all know that our very first interview is with Tyson Edwards!

we are extremley excited to have him on the show.

If you have any questions you would like us to ask Tyson, you can go to this thread on the main board and submit anything you might have. we will do our best to work them all in.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-tyson-edwards-submit-your-questions.1186563/

He actually moved with the same sort of fluidity and balance as Gavin Wanganeen. They were very similar in their movements. Edwards wasn’t as good, because Wanganeen also had a touch of the freakish about him (like McLeod).

But in terms of how beautifully balanced they were in movement and skill execution, they were almost identical.

Edwards was very, very good, in fact, they almost don’t make them like him anymore. He’d be easily a top five player in the current Crows outfit.

As I said earlier in this thread. He will be remembered as a champion of the club. However as a youngster he did fumble and lose his feet a lot. Gary Ayres really got into him and from 2000 (22 Years old still) became a champ. My Dad and I Cringed when he lined up along side Nicky Winmar in the 1997 Grand FInal. Luckily in the end the result was great. There was a moment early though where Edwards leading Winmar to the ball but ran straight passed it and fell over which Winmar Swooped on to kick the goal. I guess that happens with youngsters. We dont play 20 year old kids anymore. So highly doubt we will have another 300 gamer for a long time.

Back when Tippett was good; has he played a greater game since? Even Mackay broke a tackle at the end of the video. How often does that happen?

Tippet's goals came against a pygmy defence. The Dons were missing tall timber injured, including Fletcher who would have eaten Kurtly alive as he usually did.

As I said earlier in this thread. He will be remembered as a champion of the club. However as a youngster he did fumble and lose his feet a lot. Gary Ayres really got into him and from 2000 (22 Years old still) became a champ. My Dad and I Cringed when he lined up along side Nicky Winmar in the 1997 Grand FInal. Luckily in the end the result was great. There was a moment early though where Edwards leading Winmar to the ball but ran straight passed it and fell over which Winmar Swooped on to kick the goal. I guess that happens with youngsters. We dont play 20 year old kids anymore. So highly doubt we will have another 300 gamer for a long time.
At the risk of dragging the thread off-topic, this is an interesting point.

With players not being drafted until the year they turn 18. The best case scenario is playing 25 games per year, every year, in which case it takes 12 seasons to play 300 games. For most players, it's more like 15-16 years, allowing for injuries, getting started, and years when they don't play finals. This means that most players who get there will be aged 33-34.

We have several players who are on track to get there, provided they can maintain form & fitness all the way to that age. Of our current 100+ game players, Sloane, Douglas, Talia, Smith, Brown, and Laird are all on track. A lot needs to go right for them, over a long period of time, but for now they're all possible 300 gamers.

Of the rest...
  • Betts (277 games) - Should get there easily, albeit having played his first 184 games with Carlton.
  • Gibbs (231) - Has a 4-year contract, which could potentially see him well past 300. Same caveat as Betts re: Carlton.
  • Jacobs (174) - Sauce turns 30 in April, and needs to play for another 5-6 years. I can't see that happening.
  • Mackay (185) - Would need to play 5 more seasons, and most of us aren't expecting him to play beyond 2018. Highly unlikely.
  • Walker (153) - Forget age, injuries are already taking their toll on the big Texan. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even make it to 200, let alone 300.
  • Gibson (130) - No chance whatsoever.
  • Jenkins (114) - 29 years, 8 years required. Started his career too late to get to 300.
  • Lynch (106) - 27 years, 8 years required. Spent too long spinning his wheels at St Kilda. Unlikely to reach 300.

He sold my parents a house recently. Still looks as fit as he ever did.

Quickest comparison right now would be to go watch Rory Laird.
Spent a lot of time in a back pocket in the early years racking up 30 odd touches a game, regularly described as consistent and underrated.
Don't think Laird's underrated anymore - he's AA now, and generally recognized as one of the top rebounding defenders in the league.

Did they have the "40 man" AA squad a while back? I reckon Edwards would have had Tex syndrome, and made that squad like 5 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back