How has Brisbane and Leppitsch escaped scruitny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
For all of the bluster about Lyon, Hardwick, Buckley and even Hinkley in terms of their performance as coaches, surely Leppa needs to be grouped in the group too.

Brisbane's performances, yesterday notwithstanding, haven't exactly set the world on fire with Leppa at the helm. In fact, I would hazard a guess that his winning percentage would be incredibly low.

Yeah it would be. Though he took over crazy Vossy's basket case of horror. I think they've shown steady - Though not immediate or drastic - improvement. They'll challenge a few sides as they did yesterday, and they're missing Beams.
A lot rests with Schache, he looks great and in a year or two if they can keep developing some defenders as well I think they'll start climbing back up.

they've probably lost just as much talent as carlton over the last few years. their forward line is just as bad as ours. their midfield as quite good when everyone's healthy but when was the last time that was the case? at home they generally give an honest account of themselves but i don't know what you expect when the cattle simply isn't on park

Because we're not a particularly good team and we're playing slightly better than expected.

* off. If anything, we are playing under our talent level. We have Beams (top 20 in the league), Rockliff (All Australian), Stephan Martin (All Australian), Hanley (arguably an elite player) Rich (Elite on a good day) and yet we have only won 5 games in the past 28 or so games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** off. If anything, we are playing under our talent level. We have Beams (top 20 in the league), Rockliff (All Australian), Stephan Martin (All Australian), Hanley (arguably an elite player) Rich (Elite on a good day) and yet we have only won 5 games in the past 28 or so games.
I love the concept of "elite on a good day" so much...

**** off. If anything, we are playing under our talent level. We have Beams (top 20 in the league), Rockliff (All Australian), Stephan Martin (All Australian), Hanley (arguably an elite player) Rich (Elite on a good day) and yet we have only won 5 games in the past 28 or so games.
I notice you didn't mention any kpp's...and that's your problem in a nutshell.
Leppa is doing ok, this Brisbane list has the worst key position talent since Fitzroy '96. Very hard to win games trying to hit short people lace out.

For all of the bluster about Lyon, Hardwick, Buckley and even Hinkley in terms of their performance as coaches, surely Leppa needs to be grouped in the group too.

Brisbane's performances, yesterday notwithstanding, haven't exactly set the world on fire with Leppa at the helm. In fact, I would hazard a guess that his winning percentage would be incredibly low.

Because all of Fremantle, Richmond, Collingwood, and Port were expected to do very well this year. Most people would have had all four teams either making the top eight or knocking right on the door. Nobody expected Brisbane to make the eight, or to do much except show improvement.

Richmond and Collingwood especially also had pretty good draws to start the season. Both would have been hoping for 4-2 or even 5-1 with an opening like this:
Richmond: Carlton, Collingwood, Adelaide (home), West Coast (away), Melbourne, Port Adelaide (home).
Collingwood: Sydney (away), Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne, Essendon, West Coast (away).

Brisbane OTOH has had:
West Coast (away), North Melbourne (home), Geelong (away), Suns (home), Doggies (away), Sydney (home). Any honest footy fan wouldn't have expected more than 1-5 from that, and they were very close to being 2-4.

- the turnover of players we have had since the end of 2013 is enormous.
- unlike other clubs, we also had to overhaul our off-field stuff just to get it to a passable standard.
- injuries, whilst not an absolute excuse are a reality when in 2015 we literally had a few players on our list available to play in the reserves. Gives you an idea as to the extent of injuries.
- this year we have the youngest list in the comp.
- this year we have been given one of if not the toughest draws, especially to start the season.

Leppa hasn't been perfect but assessing his performance as coach is, I guess, relative to where you think we should be at. Where do you think Brisbane should be on the ladder or just generally at the moment?

I don't get why Lyon is under pressure when you consider the context of his list and what he's trying to do.

Possibly because we've lost to 5 out of the top 6 sides, and could easily have won a couple of those games as well. Teams we've lost to are 24-6 so far this season, it doesn't get much tougher than that.

Because they are the youngest team in the league?

Brisbane's biggest challenge is to assemble a group of players that want to stay at the club. Players like Schache with historical attachment will certainly help, as well as the likes of Hanley and Zorko re-committing.

Their performance yesterday suggests the spirit amongst the group is strong, and I'd suggest this season is about performance more than results.

So you name 3 genuinely good players and 2 ones who 'are good on their day' and think that's a good team? Zorko is also good, 6 isn't enough though.

Nah, need more than that. You're about where your list is - developing talls, midfield alright but has copped a lot of injuries last 2 seasons, overall lack of experience.

Lions rebuilding and are a year or 2 behind after losing Yeo, Docherty, Longer, Polec. They replaced these guys with similarly talented players but who are 2 years younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back