How has COVID changed you?

Remove this Banner Ad

In our business we modelled up a handful of relatively broad forecast scenarios (e.g. high/moderate/low activity over various business lines) and then concentrated on really firming up our resource optimisation strategies based on each. From this we could tune our resourcing decisions reasonably well based on relatively short forecast periods.

For example, Catfish Alley talks about redoing his forecasting monthly - my take from that is that I can only really rely on his numbers for 30 days. But although he may not be able to tell me with any accuracy what my sales are going to be 3 or 6 months from now, he can probably give me a good estimate of which way the wind is going to be blowing. If I have a really good scenario-based optimisation strategy, that will be enough for me to start pulling some levers today - which means I'm just going to be fine-tuning things when we get to his accurate 1-month horizon.

It's not the same as knowing what your sales are going to be six months from now, but you can still make surprisingly good decisions. I don't know about others I definitely feel that COVID showed us how overly reliant we had become on forecasting (which is important but will never be a silver bullet).

Exactly it. Things changing often so forecasting months in advance is a tough ask. I’ve got a solid trend building now and it’s getting easier.

I lost about 12 kilos but have since pretty much put it all back on. Now getting serious again and starting over.

Sigh.

Yeah I've finally got a few boxing bags up and getting some cheap kettlebells and medicine balls. I ******* hate working out in the carport but it's working ok thus far, that and my daily walk should help my guts (the copious amounts of home-brew won't though)

Also COVID has helped my guitar playing that's for sure, I'm still s**t but less so. Gone down a few rabbit holes on Youtube and found some good lessons, really helped.

not me but family

My BiL had a 4 hour daily commute his work day started at 5.30
He worked from home and loved it,got plenty of time to do stuff around the farm.
Eventually lost his job but got a massive pay out (he put in his super)and months of notice that it was coming
Got a new job with another place who took over the contracts from the previous job and still works from home for more money
Only been into the city a few days over the last year or so
Realised he would rather retire than go back to commuting so he will at Xmas, my sister will too after she gives him a few months to see if he likes it and they can afford it.
They saw a man who crunched the numbers it looked doable
Both late 50s.

I imagine this might be a little more common for a few who can

Remove this Banner Ad

Back