How has Leigh Matthews lasted so long in Media

Remove this Banner Ad

He actually took the hit from Hocking like a squib.
Eh? I thought he took the payback like a boss... He didn't dodge it. He knew he'd done wrong. He knew what was coming and that he deserved it. He never looked around nor over his shoulder like a scared weasel. He mentally conceded. "Go on, hit me. Get it over with."

Agree with you on Ling.
Absolute muppet

Matthews has sold out for the dollar he probably no longer needs.
Sold out? I don't understand this criticism. It's his job. He's collecting a tidy pay packet for doing not much. Why would he stop? Probably figures he'll just keep going til they give him the arse and then he'll retire & play more golf.

If you mean that he no longer rocks the boat and criticises umpires & AFL, then fair enough.

But I also wonder why people want to hear that type of commentary. BT and Carey do that and it drives me nuts. Constant questioning of every umpiring decision. BORING! And most of the time, they're wrong anyway. I can't stand the way people make every game all about the umpiring. The umpires are one small facet of the game. Bad decisions go either way. There's nothing we can do about it. Mistakes will always occur - there's fewer umpiring mistakes than most people think and they have far less influence on the result than people think.

And if the umps made a mistake, then so what? What's the big deal? We can all see they f**ked up. We don't really need BT or Carey to tell us that. How about we just move on? There is so much more to talk about from a game of footy than umpiring or the f**king commentary, but this is what everyone chooses to focus on.

Take the career of Cyril Rioli, for instance. Indulge me for one sec... :D What a unique, team-oriented, brilliant 2-way player. But most people's opinion of him is completely warped by the bullshit which comes from the Channel 7 commentators' mouths when they're calling his name. Nothing I read on these boards is about Cyril the footballer. People's observation is filtered through a prism of shitty commentary. It's quite sad the way people focus on the crap instead of the game. It's equally annoying & tedious that Channel 7 have decided to make every game about their commentary.

That's why I never minded Matthews as a commentator. He never made the game all about him. No hyperbole. No ego stroking. Someone who is comfortable in his own skin & comfortable with what he achieved and just calls the game as he sees it.

Last edited:
Eh? I thought he took the payback like a boss... He didn't dodge it. He knew he'd done wrong. He knew what was coming and that he deserved it. He never looked around nor over his shoulder like a scared weasel. He mentally conceded. "Go on, hit me. Get it over with."

Absolute muppet

Sold out? I don't understand this criticism. It's his job. He's collecting a tidy pay packet for doing not much. Why would he stop? Probably figures he'll just keep going til they give him the arse and then he'll retire & play more golf.

If you mean that he no longer rocks the boat and criticises umpires & AFL, then fair enough.

But I also wonder why people want to hear that type of commentary. BT and Carey do that and it drives me nuts. Constant questioning of every umpiring decision. BORING! And most of the time, they're wrong anyway. I can't stand the way people make every game all about the umpiring. The umpires are one small facet of the game. Bad decisions go either way. There's nothing we can do about it. Mistakes will always occur - there's fewer umpiring mistakes than most people think and they have far less influence on the result than people think.

And if the umps made a mistake, then so what? What's the big deal? We can all see they f**ked up. We don't really need BT or Carey to tell us that. How about we just move on? There is so much more to talk about from a game of footy than umpiring or the f**king commentary, but this is what everyone chooses to focus on.

Take Cyril Rioli, for instance. What unique, team-oriented, brilliant 2-way player. But everyone's opinion of him is completely tainted/clouded by the bullshit which comes from the commentators mouths when they're calling his name. Nothing I read on these boards is about Cyril the footballer. People's observation is filtered through a prism of shitty commentary. It's quite sad the way people focus on the crap. It's equally annoying & tedious that Channel 7 have decided to make every game about their commentary.

That's why I never minded Matthews as a commentator. He never made the game all about him. No hyperbole. No ego stroking. Someone who is comfortable in his own skin & comfortable with what he achieved and just calls the game as he sees it.
All good Back One Out. I am no fan of the ones you mention.

Lethal is far and away the best of the older football brains for commentary. I could listen to him for days (or even Malthouse)

Compared to his counterparts, Matthews is well rounded no biased ambassador of the game. KB on other hand has lost the plot, much like Sheedy (cannot stand Sheeds at all, hes got no clue about the modern game).

Matthews, Jeans, Kennedy, Parkin, Pagen and Barrasi, could listen to thier view

I also understand how Eccentric Sheedy can come across as (However eccentric he may be, i like Bomber Thompson for the same quality. Sheeds not so much)

Lethal is far and away the best of the older football brains for commentary. I could listen to him for days (or even Malthouse)
Compared to his counterparts, Matthews is well rounded no biased ambassador of the game. KB on other hand has lost the plot, much like Sheedy (cannot stand Sheeds at all, hes got no clue about the modern game).Matthews, Jeans, Kennedy, Parkin, Pagen and Barrasi, could listen to thier view
I also understand how Eccentric Sheedy can come across as (However eccentric he may be, i like Bomber Thompson for the same quality. Sheeds not so much)

You might like this then, if you haven't seen it already:

You might like this then, if you haven't seen it already:

Yess thats exactly what i was going for.
I did enjoy that mate

Their views on the game are all valid.
The coaches these days could learn a lot off these guys.

Would u put say Clarko or Roos in that round table discussion?

Yess thats exactly what i was going for.
I did enjoy that mate

Their views on the game are all valid.
The coaches these days could learn a lot off these guys.

Would u put say Clarko or Roos in that round table discussion?

Roosy?.....No BS artists allowed at the round table mate.

@procast
Roosy?.....No BS artists allowed at the round table mate.
For what he did to The swannies culture n then take Melb out of the Dregs of the comp

Fair call though, he doesnt have enough flags to back himself up compared to the others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back