How has Mark Maclure survived this long?

AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Seriously, the guy has got no idea. Adds no insight into how a match is being played and his post match reviews are just utterly ridiculous. Does he even watch footy? Don't listen to him much on radio but when I did the other week, he literally just read the team sheet and said a couple of irrelevant things after reading a players name. Went something like this.

"Selwood, We know he wears his heart on his sleeve, great captain he is"

"Enright, you know he wont stop running"

"Hawkins, he is intimidating and built like a brick"

"Bartel, he is a great kick"

"Taylor, you know he will give it his all"

"Dangerfield, what more needs to be said"?

Then you hear him on Friday night on Fox Footy doing the analysis with Eddie and the crew. If a player is having a great season but just having an off night he says s**t like, "player x is not up to AFL standards" or if asked what the team who is losing has to do to get back in the match he says s**t like, "well the team just need to work harder". What kind of insight is that?

On 360 he offers nothing but tries to pull it off by always coming out angry and negative, think Gerard and Robbo might have a hint, as they direct like 90% of questions to Kingy. And when they ask Maclure something basic he responds something like, "well it's simple, bad kicking is bad football". Gee thanks Sellars, didn't know that. I am honestly not sure if he watches the matches anymore or if he just makes s**t up as he goes.

What do others think of him?

Last edited:

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
I think he's improved slightly from last year. Often he would say things that were either wrong or made no sense, and then continue to paint himself into a corner trying to defend them. It was trainwreck stuff. He hasn't had as many of those moments so far this year.

He's clearly well liked by his colleagues on Fox as the class clown who will pot anyone and not care about whether it's fair or unfair. They all love him for it. I imagine that's what is keeping him there. It's certainly not the rigour of his analysis.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Seriously, the guy has got no idea. Adds no insight into how a match is being played and his post match reviews are just utterly ridiculous. Does he even watch footy? Don't listen to him much on radio but when I did the other week, he literally just read the team sheet and said a couple of irrelevant things after reading a players name. Went something like this.

Then you hear him on Friday night on Fox Footy doing the analysis with Eddie and the crew. If a player is having a great season but just having an off night he says s**t like, "player x is not up to AFL standards" or "the team just need to work harder" etc etc. What kind of insight is that?

On 360 he offers nothing but tries to pull it off by always coming out angry and negative, think Gerard and Robbo might have a hint, as they direct like 90% of questions to Kingy. And when they ask Maclure something basic he responds something like, "well it's simple, bad kicking is bad football". Gee thanks Sellars, didn't know that. I am honestly not sure if he watches the matches anymore or if he just makes s**t up as he goes.

I like him.
Calls a spade a spade and not into hyperbole.
Rarely catching him though as must be busy when he is on air. Do not have foxtel but times I catch him on the radio.
He knows what type of players make up a successful team.
However he does speak as if he expects audiences to know their football also.
He clearly does not feel the need to harp on things.
Short and to the point as he expects if you watch the footy yourself you can fill in the rest.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I like him, he's different. There should be more of his and Grant Thomas' type in the media.

If a player or a team is playing badly he says it, he doesn't sugar coat it or make excuses for them like all their other 'old mates' in the media do. Conversely, if they're playing well he says so.

He doesn't over analyse, Kingy and Dermie or whoever can do that. He keeps it simple and lets the game speak for itself.

The OP sounds like he just caught him in the 30 seconds before a game where they ask who and why will or won't win a game.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I like him.
Calls a spade a spade and not into hyperbole.
Rarely catching him though as must be busy when he is on air. Do not have foxtel but times I catch him on the radio.
He knows what type of players make up a successful team.
However he does speak as if he expects audiences to know their football also.
He clearly does not feel the need to harp on things.
Short and to the point as he expects if you watch the footy yourself you can fill in the rest.
But he doesn't actually say anything its all general meanderings without any specifics

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
But he doesn't actually say anything its all general meanderings without any specifics

Says enough for me whenever I heard him. The rare times I have the radio on when I get to hear him I certainly know I am not getting a bullshit artist. Maybe you just do not get him. Plenty of commentators out there to suit us all. I just know when I hear him I am grateful I am listening to someone that really knows their football and importantly focuses on the edge between being a premiership outfit and anything less. There are plenty of Luke Darcy types for you if you like that tell us every player is a star of the game or a superstar.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood

Then you hear him on Friday night on Fox Footy doing the analysis with Eddie and the crew. If a player is having a great season but just having an off night he says s**t like, "player x is not up to AFL standards" or "the team just need to work harder" etc etc. What kind of insight is that?

Haha... He is terrible!

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

This is so spot on. Sums up Maclure perfectly. What is the point of him? He offers zero insight and he doesn't have the humour angle going for him either.

It's always one liners like "Hawthorn, well they're just the best in the business, aren't they?" or "Brisbane have no heart, they're not playing for each other". And then no further explanation.

You really shouldn't be on TV or have any sort of commentary role if that is all you can offer.

MarkD80

Draftee
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Then you hear him on Friday night on Fox Footy doing the analysis with Eddie and the crew. If a player is having a great season but just having an off night he says s**t like, "player x is not up to AFL standards" or if asked what the team who is losing has to do to get back in the match he says s**t like, "well the team just need to work harder". What kind of insight is that?

LOL this is so spot on. My dog can honestly give better analysis than him.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I really like him on the ABC, he's often contrarian, but he's an ex-player who is relatively articulate and really has no fear nor favour.

Often disagree with him, but I like his style. (Kill me).

Back