How has Mark Maclure survived this long?

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO he has only ever had one good moment on air, that was when he absoloutely ripped kingy a beauty when that rising star betting scandal was going on, can't remember what he said exactly but it was a ripper

Maclure says that Ablett should be traded, possibly to Geelong for a FEW players. Does he really think Ablett has that much trade value anymore. He's 32/33 now with constant injuries/shoulder troubles and his salary is around 1 million per season. Don't see many takers

I just presumed he was the prerequisite soc from Carlton always on the tv, having taken over from Robertson and Walls.

Very good question.

He is terrible. Offers nothing profound at all, but still very irritatingly tries to present his opinions in such a way as to make them sound like no-one has ever contemplated them before and that they are groundbreaking.

The only real area where he diverges from either the bleeding obvious or already-advanced and/or already-discredited ideas is in some of his pre-season predictions and tips about upcoming matches, which unsurprisingly usually turn out to be a million miles off the mark anyway.

His style, and his very strong biases, are also annoying and therefore difficult to listen to. To me, he generally comes across as being bitter, angry and miserable about most things. He loves Carlton to the point of being obsessive about it. But he seems to be a perpetual grump about a lot of other things, especially their main rivals (Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond in particular) from the time of his playing days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's on 360 tonight. They're discussing possible All Australian candidates. King mentions Tom Lynch and talks about for a good 30 seconds. McClure replies with " have you mentioned Tommy Lynch? ".

I'm not sure what he was doing while King was talking ?
Maybe he was referring to the other one.

Probably not.

Seriously, the guy has got no idea. Adds no insight into how a match is being played and his post match reviews are just utterly ridiculous. Does he even watch footy? Don't listen to him much on radio but when I did the other week, he literally just read the team sheet and said a couple of irrelevant things after reading a players name. Went something like this.

"Selwood, We know he wears his heart on his sleeve, great captain he is"

"Enright, you know he wont stop running"

"Hawkins, he is intimidating and built like a brick"

"Bartel, he is a great kick"

"Taylor, you know he will give it his all"

"Dangerfield, what more needs to be said"?

Then you hear him on Friday night on Fox Footy doing the analysis with Eddie and the crew. If a player is having a great season but just having an off night he says s**t like, "player x is not up to AFL standards" or if asked what the team who is losing has to do to get back in the match he says s**t like, "well the team just need to work harder". What kind of insight is that?

On 360 he offers nothing but tries to pull it off by always coming out angry and negative, think Gerard and Robbo might have a hint, as they direct like 90% of questions to Kingy. And when they ask Maclure something basic he responds something like, "well it's simple, bad kicking is bad football". Gee thanks Sellars, didn't know that. I am honestly not sure if he watches the matches anymore or if he just makes s**t up as he goes.

What do others think of him?

Oh so its ok for some players but not others to wear hearts on sleeve eh MacNoCluer?

JRiewoldt gets accused of being a "prima donna" yet Selwood is a great captain cos he wears his heart on his sleeve o_O

Oh so its ok for some players but not others to wear hearts on sleeve eh MacNoCluer?

JRiewoldt gets accused of being a "prima donna" yet Selwood is a great captain cos he wears his heart on his sleeve o_O
There's a difference, Selwood squeals to the umps and looks like a flog. J R is all about himself and how good he can look, which is worse of a flog

When did people start calling him Cellars/Sellers?

What's up with that?

His nickname has been Sellers for as long as can remember.

Never heard one football person ever speak to him as Mark.
Everyone in football knows he is Sellers.
The same as most call Carey, "Duck" or Lance Franklin, Buddy.

You must have been living under a rock.

His nickname has been Sellers for as long as can remember.

Never heard one football person ever speak to him as Mark.
Everyone in football knows he is Sellers.
The same as most call Carey, "Duck" or Lance Franklin, Buddy.

You must have been living under a rock.

Not enough room under the rock with all those Carlton people.

Very good question.

He is terrible. Offers nothing profound at all, but still very irritatingly tries to present his opinions in such a way as to make them sound like no-one has ever contemplated them before and that they are groundbreaking.

The only real area where he diverges from either the bleeding obvious or already-advanced and/or already-discredited ideas is in some of his pre-season predictions and tips about upcoming matches, which unsurprisingly usually turn out to be a million miles off the mark anyway.

His style, and his very strong biases, are also annoying and therefore difficult to listen to. To me, he generally comes across as being bitter, angry and miserable about most things. He loves Carlton to the point of being obsessive about it. But he seems to be a perpetual grump about a lot of other things, especially their main rivals (Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond in particular) from the time of his playing days.

Hammer, nail, head.

On 360 tonight he said Sydney were specials in the wet, now I know they won last week but I always thought they struggled in the wet which was a surprise because they have always been a hard nosed team.

In sure a Sydney fan can set the record straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back