How has Mark Maclure survived this long?

I don't mind him for the simple fact that he isn't afraid to bag players, sometimes unfairly though, and tell it like it is.
However his general knowledge of footy today is quite appalling.
And I have never forgiven him when I was a little tacker in the 70s at a footy clinic in Mooroopna when I went up to him to ask for his autograph and he looked at me and then just walked away. I asked nicely too. completely irrelevant, but I was devo.

Zephiisdaman

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2010
Whitten Oval
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I went to the Billy Picken testimonial Night at Vic Park Social Club in the 80s. In the lead up to Kingy and Sellars coming on 360 you see a snippet of Sellars taking a mark and then a Collingwood player guts punching him. That was Billy.
At the time Billy and Sellars had two man wars, the best chb v best chf in the league and rarely were no cheap shots thrown, by either.
Anyway for some reason Collingwood asked Sellars to come and pay tribute to Billy, which I found odd. At the time there wasn't a more hated man at Collingwood than Sellars. Remember this was just after the period Collingwood lost tons of grand finals. Sellars was involved in a few and got right up Collingwood.
To his credit, the most hated man by Collingwood spoke warmly of Billy and although it was still in that short, terse manner he has he won the crowd over for a night at least.......The first time ever he would have got a standing ovation at Vic Park I reckon........respect for that

AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't mind him for the simple fact that he isn't afraid to bag players, sometimes unfairly though, and tell it like it is.
However his general knowledge of footy today is quite appalling.
And I have never forgiven him when I was a little tacker in the 70s at a footy clinic in Mooroopna when I went up to him to ask for his autograph and he looked at me and then just walked away. I asked nicely too. completely irrelevant, but I was devo.

LOL that is funny at the same time as awfully rude

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
So McClueless is at it again. Refused to give Dusty Martin a single vote after 43 disposals (22 contested), 14 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 goals. When asked to explain he replied that Dusty had "33 touches in the back line that went about 1 meter". In fact he gained 600 metres - more than any other player in the game.

Jun 22, 2015
Where the magic happens
AFL Club
Essendon
So McClueless is at it again. Refused to give Dusty Martin a single vote after 43 disposals (22 contested), 14 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 goals. When asked to explain he replied that Dusty had "33 touches in the back line that went about 1 meter". In fact he gained 600 metres - more than any other player in the game.

Dusty should still be in the votes 100%, but 51% disposal efficiency is damning.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't wait to hear his explanation, he will just keep digging that hole

Is it an act or serious?
I reckon he's a bit of that old school "I like to act tough and buck trends" type operator.
Not many of them left which makes him sound even stupider but Mooney and Johnno Brown were a bit that way when they first entered the media.
Derm still a bit floggy that way too.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
I don't understand how he has survived this long. I thought someone would have murdered the smug bast**d years ago

CotchNCo

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Arsenal
Does the guy not realise that Dusty got the most metres gained on the field? So much for sideways and backwards.

Oh and he mentions only 4 possessions in the 50. Still got 2 goals.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
"The best midfielder in the competition right now is Stevens"

Might be a good idea to learn his actual name Sellers.

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
he is good to listen too, but has 0 idea of modern footy and its tactics. Just another "those were the days" washed up spud who refuses to give any football player today an ounce of credit when in reality a best 22 of his era vs this era would lose by 100 points every single game

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
he is good to listen too, but has 0 idea of modern footy and its tactics. Just another "those were the days" washed up spud who refuses to give any football player today an ounce of credit when in reality a best 22 of his era vs this era would lose by 100 points every single game

And which rules will we use for this game? Australian rules football rules or AFL rules? Two different sports. It is a stupid comparison simply because of money and resources. Just as pure footballers though you are kidding yourself if you think todays players are better actual footballers.
How many CHF running around in the AFL are better footballers than Maclure for example?

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
And which rules will we use for this game? Australian rules football rules or AFL rules? Two different sports. It is a stupid comparison simply because of money and resources. Just as pure footballers though you are kidding yourself if you think todays players are better actual footballers.
How many CHF running around in the AFL are better footballers than Maclure for example?

Todays players are faster, stronger, more athletic and have far superior skills by foot and hand. But just because the 70's and 80's bring back nostalgia they are treated as some glory era so every single player today gets dismissed. Lance Franklin would tear any defender of Mclures era to absolute shreds. Are you joking? You do realise Maclure didn't even kick 50 goals in a season. Josh Kennedy, Jack + Nick reiwoldt and more are so far past Mclure its a joke. You can play the game with 1980 rules and a modern 22 would completely annihilate them.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Todays players are faster, stronger, more athletic and have far superior skills by foot and hand. But just because the 70's and 80's bring back nostalgia they are treated as some glory era so every single player today gets dismissed. Lance Franklin would tear any defender of Mclures era to absolute shreds. Are you joking? You do realise Maclure didn't even kick 50 goals in a season. Josh Kennedy, Jack + Nick reiwoldt and more are so far past Mclure its a joke. You can play the game with 1980 rules and a modern 22 would completely annihilate them.

Faster, Stronger and more athletic yes, better skilled is a joke. 70% of today's game is uncontested. Not hard to kick to someone without anyone on them. Goal kicking is worse than ever, players can't kick on both sides of their body and may can't even handball both hands. Skills are not better now and in fact not even close.
No one gets dismissed, every era has its champion players, the problem is that now many of you think they are all champions. Your modern 22 of todays players would be in the rooms crying because they tackle and bump to hard at half time, then spend the next 6 months in counselling.
What part of Lance Franklin is more skilled than Royce Hart? Don't go on about speed and strength as that is just era crap, who was the better mark, better kick, better tackler, better handballer, better skilled. I am not even saying that Franklin would not be the one who is better but you have to put apples with apples and pure football ability is all you can go on.
Would you prefer Matt Priddis or Leon Baker in the centre in your team? Priddis is a brownlow winner and would not get a game in the Essendon 84 side.

Back