How has Mark Maclure survived this long?

Laughed at this bit:
Let me tell you, we had a bond you couldn’t break. It was so strong that if you made a mistake in our group, we would just shun you completely and if you didn’t put your hand up, it’d be worse, out you go.

What a miserable place to work, you shank a kick and all your teammates give you the silent treatment.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
They were winning flags, hardly a miserable place. Might of been for those who couldn’t keep up though. They went elsewhere to cruise obviously.

I think the flags they won probably had more to do with having the best recruitment zones in the comp rather than this absurd machismo culture.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I think the flags they won probably had more to do with having the best recruitment zones in the comp rather than this absurd machismo culture.

Also had the big benefactors and treated the salary cap as joke for years.

Maclure is the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Makes at least one epic Carlton rant a year (along with plenty of mini ones) about their s***ness and it’s boring now.

AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I haven't been watching the show much this year, as it's just too repetitive.

Is Maclure still doing Wednesday night's and is he getting better or worse?

On SM-A305YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven't been watching the show much this year, as it's just too repetitive.

Is Maclure still doing Wednesday night's and is he getting better or worse?

On SM-A305YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Been doing Tuesday nights solo without King and for the past couple of months has generally been a post-mortem of Carlton.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
He was terrible talking about carlton the other night. Was trying to make some comment about the culture when he played, players taking a stand and saying "I don't want to play with that bloke cos he's no good" and you could see Riewoldt just looking at him thinking, "you've got no idea mate, that was 40 years ago - that type of s**t destroys cultures now."

Can you imagine if Walsh and Weitering went up to the coaches saying for example "get Gibbons out of the side, he's shithouse"

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
He was terrible talking about carlton the other night. Was trying to make some comment about the culture when he played, players taking a stand and saying "I don't want to play with that bloke cos he's no good" and you could see Riewoldt just looking at him thinking, "you've got no idea mate, that was 40 years ago - that type of sh*t destroys cultures now."

Can you imagine if Walsh and Weitering went up to the coaches saying for example "get Gibbons out of the side, he's shithouse"

I was thinking the same thing at the time. He's also advocated drafting more blokes who get on the piss and find trouble late at night - "Blokes who you wouldn't want dating your daughter but love at your footy club."

He's an absolute fossil. Luckily I suspect Fox have realised this and only wheel him out when they need an old man to shake his fists at the clouds and have a whine whenever Carlton play like rubbish, have some controversy or are moving to sack a coach - which is still just about every other week.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
He was terrible talking about carlton the other night. Was trying to make some comment about the culture when he played, players taking a stand and saying "I don't want to play with that bloke cos he's no good" and you could see Riewoldt just looking at him thinking, "you've got no idea mate, that was 40 years ago - that type of sh*t destroys cultures now."

The other side of that though is that none of them will possibly ever have success? McClure won flags and Riowoldt didn’t.
Things have definitely changed from 40 years ago, no doubt about that. It is individuals now instead of groups, players respond to only positive things and ignore the truth at all cost. Clubs have to walk a fine line trying to get the best out of players.
I don’t mind Maclure but that’s probably more because I like hearing things as they are and I am not a sugar coating bloke. But you are right that it won’t ever be as it was back then again So no real point continuing to tell us. We know it worked but it won’t work with this generation.

The other side of that though is that none of them will possibly ever have success? McClure won flags and Riowoldt didn’t.
Things have definitely changed from 40 years ago, no doubt about that. It is individuals now instead of groups, players respond to only positive things and ignore the truth at all cost. Clubs have to walk a fine line trying to get the best out of players.
I don’t mind Maclure but that’s probably more because I like hearing things as they are and I am not a sugar coating bloke. But you are right that it won’t ever be as it was back then again So no real point continuing to tell us. We know it worked but it won’t work with this generation.

Wrong Riewoldt ;)

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

Yeah sorry it was Jack Riewoldt - 3 flags.

Back