How has Port Adelaides membership grown so much?

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's your point then?
OP asks where have all the new crowds come from?
Everyone on here agrees it's the new Stadium that is the biggest factor
This quote of yours above admits you agree

But you still ,contradicting yourself , in the same breath are astonished the old stadium had lesser attendances

Sigh. I said that I agree about the stadium bringing in more people. That's a given. A renovated Adelaide Oval, a central location and modern facilities will naturally bring in more people. What I am saying is that Port all the sudden were selling out games and getting 40k+ - that figure was unheard of at AAMI Stadium for Port.

Then as a real elitist you try and say those supporters who don't watch many live games aren't true supporters.

Quoting you. "the point I was making from the beginning and that is a large number of their supporters only attend and watch their club when it suits them - how is that a true supporter?"

Why do you have to attend live games to be a true supporter you hero?
What if those same supporters are watching the game with their family interstate decked in sport gear screaming 'Winnnngaaaaard or Ollliiie ?
What if during the week they tune in to all the TV , Internet , newspaper , Inside Football, podcasts etc
Why can't they be true supporters too.?

I'm talking about the supporters that never attended at AAMI Stadium, but attend at Adelaide Oval. You're making it more than what it is.

Hint: If you refused to attend games at AAMI Stadium but are attending a lot of games at Adelaide Oval, you're not a very good supporter.

So which one is it? They couldn't afford it or they hated the ground? Only one is a reasonable enough excuse not to go and watch your club play.

It can be both, and there's often a range of reasons why people don't like a certain ground.

I'm not lecturing anyone but you've said it yourself - a true fan is someone that sticks by their club no matter what. Travelling to watch them play regardless of what stadium it's at would fall under this category.

I meant a true fan is a fan who doesn't quit on their club when they're not doing well. Many fans don't watch their team from the ground, many of my mates watch the game from their couch or at the bar.

So if I'm overestimating how many neutrals inflate Ports crowds, where have all their supporters been throughout the AAMI Stadium days? Without realising, you've pretty much proven the point I was making from the beginning and that is a large number of their supporters only attend and watch their club when it suits them - how is that a true supporter?

What about Collingwood, Richmond or Melbourne fans who refuse to attend Docklands because they don't like it? Again, a true fan is someone who isn't a fairweather fan, going to the game isn't absolutely necessary.

I think you've build a strawman that fans who attend are the real fans and assumed that since Port have better attendances, these folks must all be fakes.

Hint: If you refused to attend games at AAMI Stadium but are attending a lot of games at Adelaide Oval, you're not a very good supporter.

Fun fact: the Atlanta Braves are deliberately building a new stadium in the suburbs because their fans don't like to travel into the city to watch games. Also because their fanbase is more suburban.

Laziness? Maybe. First world problems? Possibly, but they're fans and they count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say that I do notice far more Crows fans at Essendon games in Melbourne and just the feedback I get from work colleagues is that the Crow fans tend to travel more and make a holiday out of it.
Always seems heaps of Crow fans at games in Melbourne

Most ex-pat South Aussies in Melbourne are Crows supporters, wouldn't be many Port fans that live here.

Home attendance.

You guys still can't get crowds away from home, which is weird coz I enjoy watching Port.

Do you play the low drawing teams away and high drawing ones at home? Do you play the most in the smallesr stadiums?

Why is it you drop to 11th when away is factored in?

I mean the Crows only drop from 1st to 3rd. Do they have more traveling fans?
Have a look at 2016 where and who Port played on the road vs Adelaide. Not that hard to do.
GWS in Canberra 10k, Melbourne in Alice Springs 5k, Brisbane on the ropes 13k, GC at Cararra last game of year means nothing 9k. Freo on a big slide 32k, Sydney 30k. Only 4 games in Victoria, Richmond at the MCG early in the year on a Sat night 27k, where were their other 40k members? Carlton at Docklands on a Sunday 27k, Collingwood Sunday early MCG 28k, where was there other 45k members, and North Melbourne Docklands Saturday twilight 24k.
http://afltables.com/afl/teams/padelaide/allgames.html

Adelaide's road trips were - GC at Cararra 1st half of year 11k, WCE 37k and Freo 30k. They played 7 games in Victoria. Gee 21k - redevelopment restrictions, at Docklands North Sat night 25k, Rich Sat arvo 29k, Bulldogs Sat night 26k, and at MCG, Melbourne Sunday arvo 29k, Carlton early Sunday early 32k and Hawks Friday night 45K. ( when we played the Hawks on a Friday night in 2015 late in the season Hawks were gunning to lock in a top 2 spot only 28k turned up to Docklands because Hawks supporters don't like to take their picnic blanket and hamper to Docklands for some reason.)
http://afltables.com/afl/teams/adelaide/allgames.html

Its the luck of the FIXture. More games in Melbourne and not at 10-15k stadiums means your average will go up. More Saturday games vs Sunday means more will travel over from SA on the Saturday to get back home Sunday night, both drive and fly.

If your theory is right then please explain why in 2014 did the crows 11 away games attract 293,330 people inc an away showdown crowd of 50,397 and Port's 11 away games attract 285,731 inc an away showdown crowd of 50,552 and Port were 8th biggest total crowd and Adelaide 6th?? That's an average of less than 1,000 per 10 road games. It's the FIXture.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2014.html

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I said :rolleyes:
Persecution complex much?
lol it was sarcasm, the reason there are more crow fans living in melbourne is rather obvious given the history of how the clubs entered the AFL you are talking about one team that was pretty much adopted as a state team with the vast majority of 9 SANFL supporter bases behind it.

lol it was sarcasm, the reason there are more crow fans living in melbourne is rather obvious given the history of how the clubs entered the AFL you are talking about one team that was pretty much adopted as a state team with the vast majority of 9 SANFL supporter bases behind it.

Wooops :oops: my bad

What a magnificent rebuttal. Truth hurts Jimbo. The true indication of your supporter base is the AAMI Stadium figures. If you don't agree with that, can you tell me where these extra 20-30k that you're getting at AO have come from?

* me mate the extra 20 or 30 THOUSAND just dropped from the sky. Are you *ed or what? You think that at every Port home game at AO, the people there are made up of the core 20,000 fans who were going in 2011 and in 2012 plus a top up from 20,000 to 30,000 neutrals who just want to see a game of footy. That's a hell of a lot of neutrals going week in week out.

Your comment would have to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen written on not just BF, but on the internet, period. So when Port kicks a goal does it only sound like 20k people are cheering, because the 20-30k neutrals are not? Does the roar from the Crows' customers sound doubly loud because, unlike Port, everyone in the stadium is a Crows' fan?

Even if what you said has an ounce of truth to it, if as a neutral you're going to see a team play every second week, chances are, you might start having an affection for that team and actually become a supporter. That's one way a neutral becomes a fan.

You're a goose.

I'm just happy our club has emerged from the dark days. We have a solid business now, with innovative ideas, to support the club.

On the park we have a way to go but it's a relief that it isn't 2011.

Port average attendance since the redevelopment is 41,802 which is well up from their attendances at AAMI. Hopefully this stays the same and doesn't deteriorate below 40,000. Feel they need to bring more 40k plus games, only the showdown and the Carlton game this year they've had over 40,000.

To be fair, anybody not living in the western suburbs hated Football Park. It was good for the Crows from a business perspective. They had a cushy deal there. We should all be thankful though that the greater good prevailed with new Adelaide Oval. It's the best outcome for football supporters across the state.

Regarding Port's numbers, the real test will come when they have a bad season. Right now they are a mid-table team and supporters still cling to hope. I reckon if they we're to slide back to 2011/12 form, we're in tarp territory.

Janus seems to think all Crows supporters have Mr Burns money.
I live in Norwood and travel time from either is extremely similar

Footy park: time to leave stadium - 1 minute, time to get to car - 5 minutes, time to drive home - 25 minutes.
Adelaide oval: time to leave stadium - 3 minutes, time to get to car - 15 minutes, time to drive home - 10 minutes.

Yeah, sure, you're driving for less, but it's west lakes boulevard everywhere and it's a longer walk no matter what to get to your car!

Ps. I only read your first sentence assuming it was gonna lead to out of the way for everyone. Hence why my reply looks a bit out of place replying to you.

Lol,
You do realise a lot of Victorians took up the crows too?
Maybe if you had a player of modras calibre early on you'd have swayed more neutrals interstate to your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back