How Have Video Games Impacted Your Life?

Remove this Banner Ad

berisha

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Burnley, San Jose Sharks
Hey BF gaming peeps. I'm wondering how, if at all, gaming has impacted your life. I don't mean in the sense that you're a walking corpse because you spend all night gaming until 3am, I mean genuine things like interests, careers, etc.

So for context, I wrote an article recently titled 'How PlayStation’s Music Creation Titles Forged My Own Version Of Spinal Tap', which is basically about how PlayStation music creation games got me into producing music, which has then led to me writing and recording music for the past 20 years (my biggest claim to fame is that I co-wrote the debut club song for Melbourne Heart before the club took it and butchered it).

So I am wondering if gaming has had a big impact on your life? Maybe you played Assassin's Creed and got into history? Who knows.

If you have 5-10 minutes to kill and want a laugh have a read of my article. It's quite the journey. I'd been working on it for the last two years and was always nervous about publishing it in case I sounded a little crazy. In the end I just had to accept it!

Hey BF gaming peeps. I'm wondering how, if at all, gaming has impacted your life. I don't mean in the sense that you're a walking corpse because you spend all night gaming until 3am, I mean genuine things like interests, careers, etc.

So for context, I wrote an article recently titled 'How PlayStation’s Music Creation Titles Forged My Own Version Of Spinal Tap', which is basically about how PlayStation music creation games got me into producing music, which has then led to me writing and recording music for the past 20 years (my biggest claim to fame is that I co-wrote the debut club song for Melbourne Heart before the club took it and butchered it).

So I am wondering if gaming has had a big impact on your life? Maybe you played Assassin's Creed and got into history? Who knows.

If you have 5-10 minutes to kill and want a laugh have a read of my article. It's quite the journey. I'd been working on it for the last two years and was always nervous about publishing it in case I sounded a little crazy. In the end I just had to accept it!

That's a great read - I love stories where people use these nascent programs to hack together something creative.

I was big into CRPGs and JRPGs throughout high school (pre-fully voiced acting). As a result, I was probably reading and comprehending texts that were several years ahead of the rest of my year level (despite the Engrish mistranslations at the time). This got me into reading fantasy texts early. For this reason, I have never struggled academically and maintain a passion for reading today.

Around the same time, the Quake modding scene and console emulation scenes were both taking off. Following these scenes online got me into the programming and development aspects of gaming - which I still enjoy today. It was revelatory time for me as, before this, games were just these magical cartridges / CDs that you put into the game console/PC. The Video Game magazines of the time were just marketing tools - very rarely mentioning the development aspects of Game Development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back