How I want this board to be

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got to also remember, there are probably supporters on here suffering from depression, cancer, deaths in the family, or any number of things that can put a person out. So if you feel someone has replied wrongly to your post, by all means have a subtle dig back, but use the smilies ;), that's what they are for.

You never know you just might brighten somebody's day up, the good part is will be a Saints fans day that you are brightening up.:cool:

Although I agree with the OP, I would add that this sentiment has been standard on the board since perhaps three years after I joined. I'm not sure if it's a continual downhill slide for the better part of a decade, or more like peaks and troughs. A bit of both, I suspect.

One other thing I would mention is that people just going back and forth post after post without necessarily playing the man gets really tiresome. No one post is offensive, but as a collection of posts it's unbearable. That seems to happen a lot.

On the other hand, my enjoyment of the board has really picked up over the past couple of months since I just whacked about eight people on ignore. I would recommend you try it if you're struggling with the board. Sometimes it results in you seeing only one side of a conversation (e.g., if I have person A on ignore and person B quotes person A and responds, I'll see the response but not the quote), but I know I'm basically not missing anything.

Although I agree with the OP, I would add that this sentiment has been standard on the board since perhaps three years after I joined. I'm not sure if it's a continual downhill slide for the better part of a decade, or more like peaks and troughs. A bit of both, I suspect.

One other thing I would mention is that people just going back and forth post after post without necessarily playing the man gets really tiresome. No one post is offensive, but as a collection of posts it's unbearable. That seems to happen a lot.

On the other hand, my enjoyment of the board has really picked up over the past couple of months since I just whacked about eight people on ignore. I would recommend you try it if you're struggling with the board. Sometimes it results in you seeing only one side of a conversation (e.g., if I have person A on ignore and person B quotes person A and responds, I'll see the response but not the quote), but I know I'm basically not missing anything.
Now everybody else is thinking, "Gee, I hope I'M not one of the guys Fehring ignores?!?!"? :p

I have to say Kildonan Armitage2Riewoldt George do a great job on here. It's a pretty trying times on here given the sides poor performance and how that creates tension between posters and views.

It can get tense on here but I think one thing they should be proud of is we haven't resorted to all out abuse. When someone crosses the line there's either an inbox sent or a measure taken. The peace is maintained.

Well done!

I have to say Kildonan Armitage2Riewoldt George do a great job on here. It's a pretty trying times on here given the sides poor performance and how that creates tension between posters and views.

It can get tense on here but I think one thing they should be proud of is we haven't resorted to all out abuse. When someone crosses the line there's either an inbox sent or a measure taken. The peace is maintained.

Well done!
Couldn't have picked a better year for me to start :drunk:

Thanks for the kind words mate. I think we all need to make a conscious effort to improve this place.

Under constant debate in any social media network is what they call 'The Line'

Common sense dictates that there is never going to be one clear dead-set line. The internet is a global network (duh!), thus we have the ability to connect with almost any other person on the planet. It goes without saying that no two people are going to have the exact same views on every topic. People will disagree with each other, people will debate, but that is the beauty of a forum. Every post holds equal weight, no opinion is more valuable than another. People post under anonymity, and because of this anonymity, have the ability say whatever they feel to be true or make any point they believe is justified. Obviously we have moderators etc. To ensure that nothing blatantly offensive or demeaning is said. The point of a forum is basically for free speech.

That being said, I agree with the OP 100%. While I am a newer poster I have been lurking BF for a couple of years, and naturally have seen some fluctuations in the mood and culture of the Saints board. This is to be expected. We are all passionate followers of the Saints, passionate enough to spend time on this board. However, this is not a place to develope grudges and judgements for people that hold different views. A forum is, in a sense, one of the most pure forms of democracy. Everybody has a right to an opinion and a voice. Obviously, wether it be from pure trolling or a moment of ignorance, there are always going to be some posts that make you stop and think WTF? However, on a forum this is completely their right. If someones opinion on something such as a player or a coach or a team etc. does not match ours, is it really necessary to judge them for it, or to jump on them and turn it into a dickwar? If everybody thought exactly the same thing about everything we wouldn't have a forum. In the last couple of years it does seem that there has been progressively more and more of this behaviour. At what point does this hinder the ability of free speech?

I know i have said a lot of stuff that's probably irrelevant and rambled on, but I would just like the Saints board to remain a place where everyone can say what they want(within reason) without provoking abuse etc.

While we all post with anonymity, we all share the common identity of Saints fans. We aren't having a good year. I'm pissed off. Others are #eco. Others still are positive. That's the right of every member of Bigfooty. Let's keep it that way, rather than acting as though the mood of the board has to be a reflection of our own mood.

Sorry bout the long post, just something I have been feeling for a while now:drunk:
I agree with everything you've said and that's a pretty level headed post. Things can get out of hand here sometimes and this is much of what's been happening this year. I guess the mood on here is almost always a reflection of the team's performance.

What I think we need to do a better job of (mods included) is not let it get too bad. If you were to rate the mood of the board on a scale of 1-10 (1 being ropeable) then I think to have the mood hovering between a range of 3-8 out of 10 is probably more beneficial for the rest of the posters here than having to come here and join in on the negativity.

It gets heated here after a bad loss and people going back and forth with each other forgetting the purpose of why they signed up in the first place.

I think we can all do better.

The form of this forum (disco aside) is pretty much on par with the form of the club (maybe disco aside, not sure what's happening there).
Only difference is there's no thread calling for George to be sacked...yet. If we don't see some development from the new forum members soon though, there's gonna be trouble. Statistically I think George has the worst win-loss ratio of any moderator in AFL history. Saints have won about a quarter of footy since he became a mod. Sooner or later, someone's gonna notice.

The form of this forum (disco aside) is pretty much on par with the form of the club (maybe disco aside, not sure what's happening there).
Only difference is there's no thread calling for George to be sacked...yet. If we don't see some development from the new forum members soon though, there's gonna be trouble. Statistically I think George has the worst win-loss ratio of any moderator in AFL history. Saints have won about a quarter of footy since he became a mod. Sooner or later, someone's gonna notice.

The disco truly is a rare beast indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under constant debate in any social media network is what they call 'The Line'

Common sense dictates that there is never going to be one clear dead-set line. The internet is a global network (duh!), thus we have the ability to connect with almost any other person on the planet. It goes without saying that no two people are going to have the exact same views on every topic. People will disagree with each other, people will debate, but that is the beauty of a forum. Every post holds equal weight, no opinion is more valuable than another. People post under anonymity, and because of this anonymity, have the ability say whatever they feel to be true or make any point they believe is justified. Obviously we have moderators etc. To ensure that nothing blatantly offensive or demeaning is said. The point of a forum is basically for free speech.

That being said, I agree with the OP 100%. While I am a newer poster I have been lurking BF for a couple of years, and naturally have seen some fluctuations in the mood and culture of the Saints board. This is to be expected. We are all passionate followers of the Saints, passionate enough to spend time on this board. However, this is not a place to develope grudges and judgements for people that hold different views. A forum is, in a sense, one of the most pure forms of democracy. Everybody has a right to an opinion and a voice. Obviously, wether it be from pure trolling or a moment of ignorance, there are always going to be some posts that make you stop and think WTF? However, on a forum this is completely their right. If someones opinion on something such as a player or a coach or a team etc. does not match ours, is it really necessary to judge them for it, or to jump on them and turn it into a dickwar? If everybody thought exactly the same thing about everything we wouldn't have a forum. In the last couple of years it does seem that there has been progressively more and more of this behaviour. At what point does this hinder the ability of free speech?

I know i have said a lot of stuff that's probably irrelevant and rambled on, but I would just like the Saints board to remain a place where everyone can say what they want(within reason) without provoking abuse etc.

While we all post with anonymity, we all share the common identity of Saints fans. We aren't having a good year. I'm pissed off. Others are #eco. Others still are positive. That's the right of every member of Bigfooty. Let's keep it that way, rather than acting as though the mood of the board has to be a reflection of our own mood.

Sorry bout the long post, just something I have been feeling for a while now:drunk:
Excellent post :thumbsu:

The forums happiness has been about on par with the teams, but last week was clearly the tipping point that saw an influx of people needing to vent, and a general trend to attacking players in (IMO) a distasteful manner. Like Skid posted earlier, this is a collective, and the way out of the negativity pit is together. So before you hit the Post button take a second to read what you'v done in full and be aware of the line between critical and negative. Ask yourself if it will make anyone's day better if they read it.
Don't be afraid to call out negativity regardless of who wrote it. Its dripping from the walls here some days and we all feel it, so call it out! I'm talking to YOU ! ! !
Every man Jack and woman Jacqueline of you is responsible for the environment in here if its a 1st post or 1000th.
Be constructive, speculative, critical, happy, funny and POSITIVE. Be the change!

Last edited:
Some need to build a bridge on here.
China has come up with a beauty!

y5l9ezitpa09ujajopse.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back