test

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Just found a job in Bunbury at Westrac, and they have a job there with 5 X 12 hour shifts and 2 5 hour shifts on saturdays every 5 weeks.

This it the most absurd structure I've ever seen, and will only lead to workers burning out, and offers no options for families. Sure, the money is great, but I've done these 12 hour shifts before. I've done 21 days in a row and lost it mentally and physically. After 3 months of that I'd had enough.

For all that effort, I'd barely pull in an extra $400 due to taxes, with a total destruction on my life and well being.

Question is, how much is too much?

Yeah that's too much with only a day and a half or two days recovery. 60 to 65 hrs per week.

I'm currently doing a 2/1, fifo. Over the last 7 years I have done 8 / 6, 7 / 7, 4-3 / 4-3 and 4-2 / 5-3.

7 / 7 is the best by far. Take 7 days leave and get a 21 day break. You get 5 of these every 2 years on top of your 7 day breaks.

In a $ per hour for every hour worked, 7 / 7 also comes out in front quite comfortably while the 4/2 - 5/3 roster is the worst quite comfortably.

Numbers for the sake of the argument only. $85,000 base salary plus site / shift allowance.

2 / 1 = 56 hours per week x 52 = 2912 hours per year
$85,000 base
$45,000 site
$130,000 total
= $44.64 per hour

9 / 5 and 4-2 / 5-3 = 54 hours per week x 52 = 2808 hours per year
$85,000 base
$27,500 site
$112,500 total
$40.06 per hour

8 / 6 and 4 / 3 - 4 / 3 = 48 hours per week x 52 = 2496 hours per year
$85,000 base
$27,500 site
$112,500
$45.07 per hour

7 / 7 =42 hours per week x 52 = 2184 hours per year.
$85,000 base
$17,200 site
$102,200
$46.80 per hour

By comparison, a person working a 38 hour week, works 1976 hours per year.

I'm currently waiting news of a job share position that I've applied for up in iron ore. 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off. You still accrue annual leave so get one 10 week break per year. Hopefully I'll know this week.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Just found a job in Bunbury at Westrac, and they have a job there with 5 X 12 hour shifts and 2 5 hour shifts on saturdays every 5 weeks.

This it the most absurd structure I've ever seen, and will only lead to workers burning out, and offers no options for families. Sure, the money is great, but I've done these 12 hour shifts before. I've done 21 days in a row and lost it mentally and physically. After 3 months of that I'd had enough.

For all that effort, I'd barely pull in an extra $400 due to taxes, with a total destruction on my life and well being.

Question is, how much is too much?
Check their EA!
West trac pay crap! Especially for what they charge and compared to hasting deering in Qld

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Their company, if its legal they can do whatever they want. Obviously people are willing to do it or they wouldnt be in business.

It seems stupid though, as you only end up attracting short term workers. They won't give you the quality you need. I couldn't imagine any family people working there, and I couldn't imagine people being happy working longer than a year. The reviews don't make for good reading.
What’s your trade
Things are picking up here in WA but the coal in CQ is going nuts as well and will only get busier

My intention is to move to W.A if I get a chance.

Their company, if its legal they can do whatever they want. Obviously people are willing to do it or they wouldnt be in business.

Nope, the fair work act sets a maximum working week of 38 hours under the national employment standards, and also determines what is reasonable in overtime allowances. The Western Australian Workplace OH&S legislation also places requirements on a safe working environment and fatigue management.

Business' cant do what they like and set terms of employment that contravene federal and state legislation - Minimum conditions of employment Act WA/FWA Cth

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Nope, the fair work act sets a maximum working week of 38 hours under the national employment standards, and also determines what is reasonable in overtime allowances. The Western Australian Workplace OH&S legislation also places requirements on a safe working environment and fatigue management.

Business' cant do what they like and set terms of employment that contravene federal and state legislation - Minimum conditions of employment Act WA/FWA Cth

There has never been a quota attatched to reasonable amount of O/T, I have bought this up with a fairwork commisioner in a compulsary conference. Companies know they can get away with this and rarely include it in an EBA. The 38 hours only applies to pay rates, any company with a monthly RDO, which is heaps, has people working minimum 40 hours.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Business can do what they like! Fair work is a POS! Plus most blue collar work is labour hire based and the details in the legislation is so murky and has been like that ever since K Rudd attempted to fix up Howard’s work choices act!
The current ruling companies and labour hire can do what they want and it’s the employee choice if they want to work for them or not

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It seems stupid though, as you only end up attracting short term workers. They won't give you the quality you need. I couldn't imagine any family people working there, and I couldn't imagine people being happy working longer than a year. The reviews don't make for good reading.

My intention is to move to W.A if I get a chance.
Why? Life in CQ is far better and so is mining!

Well I work a 40 hour week

Mr Cashie

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You’ll be right mate. My record is 86 hours (that’s what the clock card says anyway) and as long as I got 8 hours sleep then I was as good as gold the next morning. I racked up 28 days in a row before the Easter break a years back and I’ve been hanging my hat on that ever since. Long hours are just a means to an end in the short term.

Back