How is it that we've come to contracted players nominating clubs?

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Frankly they should just do away with the term contract and call them gentlemen's agreements.

Really? These players are breaking their contracts and getting to not only do that but chose where they go. The whole point of my post you quoted the above in.

So, again, what are the consequences of a player breaking his contract and going to the club of his choice?
No one is breaking a contract. They are terminated by mutual agreement between club and player.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I understand nominating a city and think that it's only fair that even contacted players can nominate one.

Nominating a specific club, however, I do not like. Players should be forced to accepting a trade to any club provided it is in their city of choice.

Kelly is a good example. Geelong only have one bidder to work with since he nominated West Coast and it fu**s Geelong's negotiating position.

Kelly isnt contracted so he is a bad example.

He did his 2 years and is free to go.

Hawthorn let Hill go for family reasons. Maybe he is more grown up now and is chasing money. Whether or not true, we didnt stop him and probably took slight unders. In theory Freo will return the favour some day.

Clubs dont own players. If the AFLPA wanted, they go to court and all these restraints of trade disappear. But they dont because the handshake agreement makes everyone richer.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Kids can always stay home and play state league footy if they want, they don't have to enter the draft. It's unfortunate it happens at 18 but doing 2 years service in your non proffered location for a minimum of 100k is a pretty good entry level deal. There's a lot of industries that ask employees to do shift work, move to rural or even remote locations and don't pay half as much as AFL football does.

Pretty sweet deal straight out of HS with no real qualifications, earning high five-low six figures based on what you might become someday. Having to move away from home (into accommodation that is likely organised for you and subsidised too) for a couple of years at that age is a pretty small price to pay.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nothing wrong with a player requesting a trade to a particular club because the current club can hold him to it.

If i am a Hawthorn player and i want to request a trade to the Lions and only the Lions i should have every right to make that request, but if the Hawks can not come to a trade they are happy with they can just hold them. Nominating a club is not an issue because the clubs are not forced to trade them.

Wear the consequences of your action both the player & the club.
Any chance the media ask every club who are driving the trades, the player managers?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Pretty sweet deal straight out of HS with no real qualifications, earning high five-low six figures based on what you might become someday. Having to move away from home (into accommodation that is likely organised for you and subsidised too) for a couple of years at that age is a pretty small price to pay.

Wont ever work for everyone e.g Mrs Kelly.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hawthorn let Hill go for family reasons. Maybe he is more grown up now and is chasing money. Whether or not true, we didnt stop him

Like Kelly, the lady in his life, real world stuff.

Then there are the likes of Charlie Cameron, u18s for WA, folks in WA, goes home to Brisbane. Doesnt fit the narrow focus of BF but 100% legit.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
If the club can't sort out whatever the issue is that makes the contracted player not want to be there, then it can try work out a deal with the nominated club.

If a deal can be done, fine.

If not, then the player stays.

Tim Kelly is the obvious example. Geelong couldn't sort out his issues, couldn't get the deal they wanted, he stayed another year and was AA.

What's the problem?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
So basically players who willingly signed a contract should be allowed to not only break it but also chose the terms of how they break it....meanwhile kids get indentured to all corners of the country through the draft and that's OK.

I thought signing up kids to sweep your chimney died out two centuries ago.

Garry Ablett board >>>>>>>>>>

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Players should be able to nominate a state and a contract...
Whatever club wants to meet that then its up to the club to get the best deal for them

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I also wonder how much of this is players on front loaded contracts who get to the final year when there isn’t so much $ coming in and wanting out.
Was just about to ask this.

Make player salaries public.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I also wonder how much of this is players on front loaded contracts who get to the final year when there isn’t so much $ coming in and wanting out.

That was part of Carlton's rationale for refusing to trade Gibbs wasn't it? I'd say it's a significant factor.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Yeah, there's too much power in the hands of the players. The AFLPA always campaign for stuff that is actually worse for the fans and the game overall

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, there's too much power in the hands of the players. The AFLPA always campaign for stuff that is actually worse for the fans and the game overall

AFLPA like any union are there to represent what is in the best interest of the players and could care less what happens to the game.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Because the AFL are a lawsuit away from their whole system collapsing. The AFLPA doesn't have tremendous power just because the AFL doesn't care, but because they have them over a barrel.

But I don't know why anyone would want a player at their club who has publicly requested to leave. Kelly having an AA season would suggest it doesn't always matter but I'd be getting them out ASAP.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The whinging about players nominating clubs is hilarious. It’s never going to change. Get over it.

You could allow clubs to trade players wherever they like, similar to the NBA and they’d still manage to have power and most would end up at their preferred club.

Back