How is it that we've come to contracted players nominating clubs?

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
AFLPA like any union are there to represent what is in the best interest of the players and could care less what happens to the game.
I know but what is in the best interests of the players is also what happens to the game and the fans. The first priority is the fans imo

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Because the AFL are a lawsuit away from their whole system collapsing.

People have been saying this for years, but it never happens. Clubs have no control, it's the players who call the shots these days. If you ever want a blueprint of which direction the AFL is headed, just take a look at the NBA. I follow both sports and have noticed how the AFL follow the same trends as the NBA. They used to be 30 years behind, now they're about 5-10 away and closing in fast.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Honestly, what's the big deal? Muppet fans carry on as though they own their club's players. They act like their club made each player and without their talent identification and coaching, the player would be nothing. Bullshiit! The reality is it's a privilege for good players to choose to play with your club. It shouldn't be taken for granted.

If a player wants to break off his contract and leave, then good luck to him. It's his life.

Clubs can enforce the contract if they choose. But what's the point of keeping a disgruntled player who isn't all-in?

Get a grip, people. Stop taking it all so seriously. It's all just a game (on and off the field).
Just barrack for your club and don't get so emotionally attached to your favourite players.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It does make the players look a bit ridiculous but I think in most cases the club that gets nominated acts in good faith to get a reasonable deal done.

The only time a player has totally screwed his club over by nominating a club was Dangerfield.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I know but what is in the best interests of the players is also what happens to the game and the fans. The first priority is the fans imo
For every fan that hates it because their club lost a player, another fan loves it because their club gains a player.

The AFL loves increasing player movements because it creates more interest in the league in the offseason.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

The players union represents the players and the AFL represents the game. So they come together and negotiate a deal that works best for everyone. You're just not going to get a deal that at the same time gets the players everything they want, the AFL everything they want and the fans everything they want.

The players have a short window to make money and set themselves up, so trying to get a better deal and more job security makes sense. That doesn't have to take away from the fans but it's also not something that is directly in the fans best interests.

I remember a few years ago one of the sticking points was the players wanting a fixed % of revenue and the AFL saying they couldn't do that as they needed some of that money to make the game grow at grass roots level. Ultimately there's no game without the fans, or without the players, or without the admin.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we’ll see some rules introduced to ‘protect’ clubs a bit more - whether it’s fines/suspension for in-contract trade requests going public etc.

Brad Hill is the poster boy for this - breaking contract twice and really doesn’t seem all that bothered to do it - will be interested to see how many Brad Hills are bouncing around the league in 5-10 years time.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
All Australian citizens should have the right to choose their employer.

And yes some are going to argue the legal fiction that the AFL is the employer of all players and the clubs are merely different departments, in which case it remains entirely reasonable for an employee to request a transfer to a different department.

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we’ll see some rules introduced to ‘protect’ clubs a bit more - whether it’s fines/suspension for in-contract trade requests going public etc.

Brad Hill is the poster boy for this - breaking contract twice and really doesn’t seem all that bothered to do it - will be interested to see how many Brad Hills are bouncing around the league in 5-10 years time.
Brad Hill hasn’t broken his contract. He told his club he was interested in changing to a different club, his club understood his situation and is trying to organise a deal that is in the interests of all parties. If everyone (both clubs and player) are happy that they’ve improved their own situation, what is the problem?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If the club can't sort out whatever the issue is that makes the contracted player not want to be there, then it can try work out a deal with the nominated club.

If a deal can be done, fine.

If not, then the player stays.

Tim Kelly is the obvious example. Geelong couldn't sort out his issues, couldn't get the deal they wanted, he stayed another year and was AA.

What's the problem?

I guess the problem for the purposes of this thread is when Dougal Howard is doing it rather than Tim Kelly and 90% of people who support AFL don't know who he is.

But you're right, it's really up to the club. You'd probably get a lot of support by sitting a player like Howard in the SANFL until his contract is up. But they have to factor in how the players at the club who are friends with Howard feel (would they be on Howard's side or the club's?) as well as other considerations... what if they want to recruit a player down the track, but the player is managed by the same group as Howard?

There's a lot of reasons why a club should shake hands and say good luck when a contracted player wants to leave, but also the odd time where the club should stick to its guns and hold a player to his contract. I think Geelong on the surface does this pretty well.

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I guess the problem for the purposes of this thread is when Dougal Howard is doing it rather than Tim Kelly and 90% of people who support AFL don't know who he is.

But you're right, it's really up to the club. You'd probably get a lot of support by sitting a player like Howard in the SANFL until his contract is up. But they have to factor in how the players at the club who are friends with Howard feel (would they be on Howard's side or the club's?) as well as other considerations... what if they want to recruit a player down the track, but the player is managed by the same group as Howard?

There's a lot of reasons why a club should shake hands and say good luck when a contracted player wants to leave, but also the odd time where the club should stick to its guns and hold a player to his contract. I think Geelong on the surface does this pretty well.
If your player is not good enough to play in your AFL team, and another club is willing to give you something for them, then it’s in everyone’s interests to facilitate that trade.
I mean really, so many people in this thread forgetting that everyone benefits from a trade. And if your club is not benefitting, then your club needs to sack their recruiting department.
Also, people forgetting that footballers are adult humans.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I understand nominating a city and think that it's only fair that even contacted players can nominate one.

Nominating a specific club, however, I do not like. Players should be forced to accepting a trade to any club provided it is in their city of choice.

Kelly is a good example. Geelong only have one bidder to work with since he nominated West Coast and it fu**s Geelong's negotiating position.
It clearly didn’t, they did very well indeed in that trade.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If your player is not good enough to play in your AFL team, and another club is willing to give you something for them, then it’s in everyone’s interests to facilitate that trade.
I mean really, so many people in this thread forgetting that everyone benefits from a trade. And if your club is not benefitting, then your club needs to sack their recruiting department.
Also, people forgetting that footballers are adult humans.

In the long term, your club can benefit by digging the heels in now and then. If you just automatically accept any offer for a player, you just open the floodgates for any player who is in their second year and is finding it tough to crack the seniors. Nothing wrong with a club saying 'shut up and earn your spot. You're not going anywhere' from time to time.

All Australian citizens should have the right to choose their employer.

And yes some are going to argue the legal fiction that the AFL is the employer of all players and the clubs are merely different departments, in which case it remains entirely reasonable for an employee to request a transfer to a different department.

So what's your view on the draft then?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I understand nominating a city and think that it's only fair that even contacted players can nominate one.

Nominating a specific club, however, I do not like. Players should be forced to accepting a trade to any club provided it is in their city of choice.

Kelly is a good example. Geelong only have one bidder to work with since he nominated West Coast and it fu**s Geelong's negotiating position.
If afl players were paid millions a year id say yes - but they arent.

A select few are - most are on quite modest wages in comparison to other sports at the top level.

Until players get massive money then they should get to have more say in where they play. Its their livelihood and they are making decisions that are utterly crucial - they can really set their lives up or vice versa can end up delisted a few years later.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
If the Dougal Howard rumors are true and he has in fact nominated North to play for while contracted until 2022. How the fu** is it that clubs are allowing this bullshit to happen. It doesn't happen at Hawthorn. Clubs need to harden the fu** up and set the boundaries.
WC refused to consider trading Gaff and McGovern and retained both when they became RFA.

Geelong wouldn't trade Kelly and got significant compensation when he came out of contract.

But, the flipside, is all three are well regarded by their team mates and the club, as good people to deal with. WC and Geelong have a history of fair deals or accommodating players and none of the relationships had broken down. At least at Adelaide, a lot of those guys can't reconcile with the club, so they can't pitch them on seeing out a contract with a promise to do right by the player at the end.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
People wanting and willing to piss all of the wants and rights of AFL players as employees because "* them they were drafted to my team they owe us their loyalty" and "they earn so much money they should be thankful".

Same people willing to * off their employer with 4 weeks notice as soon as they get a "better job offer".

Rights for me, none for you. Australia is full of hypocritical campaigners.

Bring on complete free agency.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
"When you side with a man you stay with him and if you can't do that you're like some kind of animal. You're finished. We're finished. All of us!"

I like that quote...

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
The biggest issue and logical fallacy is that players are required to ‘consent’ to a trade.

This is absolute lunacy.

So, a player is able to dictate terms when they’re contracted.

A player is able to dictate terms when they’re uncontracted.

A player then has access to free agency.

Excuse me, but what?

When does the club hold the power when deciding who to trade with.

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
OP has a problem with a professional having a preference on where they would like to be employed.

Sigh...
Stupid agreement, especially for a north fan considering nobody wants to go to your club.

They sign up for a professional sporting league. They sign up for a league which has player movement rules and equalisation procedures in place and they are well compensated for it.

This “derp they are like us we get to decide derp” is stupidity. It’s unprofessional. I speak to Americans and they find it hilarious how good AFL players have it. If they don’t like it just retire and play in the local leagues

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure what US sport you’ve been watching. Players ask to be traded to certain teams all the time.

Yes that happens, but the franchise also has the ability to trade any player if they get the right price, they dont have to get permission from the player.

Back