Analysis How is Jake Kolodjashnij going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
Well with the news of his brother getting a Rising star nomination this week I just wondered how our Koladj is tracking.

People who watch the 2's care to give us an update?

Very good the first few weeks , seemed a little bit of the pace last time I watched him. His brother was always considered a much closer to ready prospect but just like with so many of our kids , time is on our side and his. Bews in his third year is showing the worth of that time. When he comes in , it will not be to shout about our latest kid , it will be because he is ready.

As a player he looks liek he will probably take over Rivers role , so atm , he really has no rush for this year or probably next.

Gets the Hamling treatment for mine. Put on slow cook for 2-3 years.

Go Catters

Gets the Hamling treatment for mine. Put on slow cook for 2-3 years.

Go Catters
Dunno, I think this could be Enright or Lonergan's last year... might need to get him on the fast track.

A lock to replace Lonergan/Rivers, hardly lost a contest in his first few games.

Still plenty to do but love his competitiveness and disposal out of defence.

Taken just after Hawthorn took their already de-listed pick.

They probably couldn't pronounce Kolodjashnij.... (otherwise they may have picked him!)

He is a look alike for Robert Scott and wears number 8. Otherwise having only seen him play once can't really comment.

Shades of Selwood & Hawthorn picking the unfortunate Mitch Thorpe?

No they rolled the dice. There no doubt about the kids talent , they probably backed themselves to make it work. But no matter how talented , there are so guys that are just not made for AFL.
Look I can poke fun at them as much as anyone but we have missed players in the draft as well. Did we miss Grundy? 2008 draft out of the top 44 players who has played the least games? Mitch Brown I just hope JK settles in at the Cattery and doesn't miss his brother too much. It would be easier for them to trade to get Jake , than for us to get Kade

2008 draft out of the top 44 players who has played the least games? Mitch Brown
That is an amazing stat Turbo!

I've only seen JK on the TV and my first impression was bigger and slower than I expected. More Rutten than Scarlo. He's regularly been named in the best so I think we'll see him in the seniors next year.

I've only seen JK on the TV and my first impression was bigger and slower than I expected. More Rutten than Scarlo. He's regularly been named in the best so I think we'll see him in the seniors next year.

Rutten is 190 & 98 , Scarlo was actually 191/192 & 94 , Jake is 194 & currently 86kgs , so the visual you have really does not match the stats

Im think that Tigers game was not his best but I don't think showed him in his best light either. IMO , he is not lightning but he will pick up speed over the next couple of years training. But he will never be a good match to super quick small forward speed v speed but he will probably end up 195/196. Thats not a matchup we would chase imo. I see him as a cross between Mackie , Rivers and Lonergan. He reads the ball well, has a better kick than both of them but still needs to get stronger with adding to much bulk. Ive seen him take a couple nice pack grabs , not frightened to back into the pack.
In another era Id think we would have played him already but in this era he may have to wait till an injury creates an opening or someone needs a rest. I think we have a win with this kid at 41, time will tell.

Rutten is 190 & 98 , Scarlo was actually 191/192 & 94 , Jake is 194 & currently 86kgs , so the visual you have really does not match the stats

Im think that Tigers game was not his best but I don't think showed him in his best light either. IMO , he is not lightning but he will pick up speed over the next couple of years training. But he will never be a good match to super quick small forward speed v speed but he will probably end up 195/196. Thats not a matchup we would chase imo. I see him as a cross between Mackie , Rivers and Lonergan. He reads the ball well, has a better kick than both of them but still needs to get stronger with adding to much bulk. Ive seen him take a couple nice pack grabs , not frightened to back into the pack.
In another era Id think we would have played him already but in this era he may have to wait till an injury creates an opening or someone needs a rest. I think we have a win with this kid at 41, time will tell.
I wasn't talking dimensions but the way the players move over the ground, man their opponents and attack the ball.

As I said, it was just one viewing on TV though.

Amazing and nearly correct. Correction... Brown has 13 games , Lewis Johnson has 10 . missed him . To be fair I'm not sure it was a great draft , and Johnson was P12 , and Brown was p15.
Meanwhile the obvious Rich P7 has played 101 but the not so obvious Jack Redden at P25 has 107. Whoops

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing and nearly correct. Correction... Brown has 13 games , Lewis Johnson has 10 . missed him . To be fair I'm not sure it was a great draft , and Johnson was P12 , and Brown was p15.
Meanwhile the obvious Rich P7 has played 101 but the not so obvious Jack Redden at P25 has 107. Whoops
It was a fairly even draft - decent players all the way down to 44 - Rory Sloane :eek: - but not great on key forwards which is what we were after at the time.

I wonder if Brown had played for another team, would he have been well past the 50 game stage by now? you'd have to think so, wouldn't you? Even if he'd been able to get an earlier look in at the Cats (i.e. if he hadn't got an injury and if there was a place for him), I'd like to think he'd be well on the way to being an established player. Seems to be a confidence player- and just couldn't get a run when he was playing well, unfortunately.

I wonder if Brown had played for another team, would he have been well past the 50 game stage by now? you'd have to think so, wouldn't you? Even if he'd been able to get an earlier look in at the Cats (i.e. if he hadn't got an injury and if there was a place for him), I'd like to think he'd be well on the way to being an established player. Seems to be a confidence player- and just couldn't get a run when he was playing well, unfortunately.
I seem to remember Prismall, Laidler, Callan, Djuerreka and Street also had the same problem as Brown. Guns too good for the reserves but just not given games in the AFL. They eventually found other clubs and look how that turned out.

I seem to remember Prismall, Laidler, Callan, Djuerreka and Street also had the same problem as Brown. Guns too good for the reserves but just not given games in the AFL. They eventually found other clubs and look how that turned out.

To an extent. But Brown has been way better in the VFL than any of those players. Better at senior level than any except Prismall.

An important distinction too - Prismall walked. The club wanted him and he refused. So not sure he can be included.

Dunno, I think this could be Enright or Lonergan's last year... might need to get him on the fast track.

Don't think that's the issue, it's realistically how soon will he be ready? Hamling has already had 2 years, and is in his 3rd now, and he's nowhere near ready from what I've seen. Especially physically.

For Kolodjashnij - he seems to have very good balance. Doesn't fall over much and is playing a disciplined role in staying behind and spoiling. Still getting caught out at times but that's to be expected. If he doesn't see senior action this year I reckon next year might be a shot.

Don't think that's the issue, it's realistically how soon will he be ready? Hamling has already had 2 years, and is in his 3rd now, and he's nowhere near ready from what I've seen. Especially physically.

For Kolodjashnij - he seems to have very good balance. Doesn't fall over much and is playing a disciplined role in staying behind and spoiling. Still getting caught out at times but that's to be expected. If he doesn't see senior action this year I reckon next year might be a shot.
Hamling came from a long way back physically. He arrived at 80kg and has worked up to 88kg now. JK arrived at 88kg and, while I know the TV adds a few pounds, if he's not already 90kg+ I'd be surprised.

Hamling came from a long way back physically. He arrived at 80kg and has worked up to 88kg now. JK arrived at 88kg and, while I know the TV adds a few pounds, if he's not already 90kg+ I'd be surprised.

True. The point being it's a question of him being "fast-tracked" for Hamling; he has to be physically ready for the top level. Right now I'm not sure he is. Hopefully by the pre-season next year he'll be that much bigger and better again.

Sounds as if the Cats had their measure. Prismall did get injured, though. And something also happened to Djerrkura, too, IIRC. I guess a footballers' life for them just wasn't meant to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back