chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Not being in Adelaide anymore how is the SANFL comp doing now?

In terms of crowds, interest etc?
I think it’s pretty healthy. It seems to have got through Covid ok so far, I think partly due to some financial rules set in place a few years ago. That being that each club has to make at least a $50k profit or have its salary cap cut.

They are considering bringing in a monetary incentive scheme for players that reach 100, 150, 200 etc games which I think is great, not sure of the rules of it.

The main issues are keeping players who are offered more money to play ammos or country footy and how the AFL affect the competition with the two reserves teams in it and the two drafts that can affect team lists greatly.
Most games attract 2k-3k crowds, should be 35k at the GF tomorrow.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I think the competition knows its place. SANFL will never return to the glory days pre-Crows, but we still see good players coming from interstate to prove themselves in what is perceived to be the second best competition in the land, and hopefully be noticed by AFL scouts. Also escaping Melbourne in times of Covid is an issue as well.

At the moment, there are two very strong clubs, Glenelg and Eagles. Eagles have been regular finals dwellers for the past 2 decades, Glenelg came good a few years back after a time in the wilderness.

Grand Final at Adelaide Oval is fine, the pinnacle of football on SA, but I wouldn't play other finals there. Hold them at home grounds of higher ranked teams to increase the atmosphere.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Yeah, we know our place. Still a good comp and I actually enjoy watching it more than most AFL games. Most clubs know their financially position and work within those constraints, with a low salary cap you are going to always lose some of the middle age to older types who can get more money in the country but on the plus side we see a few more kids getting a crack

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
I think the competition knows its place. SANFL will never return to the glory days pre-Crows, but we still see good players coming from interstate to prove themselves in what is perceived to be the second best competition in the land, and hopefully be noticed by AFL scouts. Also escaping Melbourne in times of Covid is an issue as well.

At the moment, there are two very strong clubs, Glenelg and Eagles. Eagles have been regular finals dwellers for the past 2 decades, Glenelg came good a few years back after a time in the wilderness.

Grand Final at Adelaide Oval is fine, the pinnacle of football on SA, but I wouldn't play other finals there. Hold them at home grounds of higher ranked teams to increase the atmosphere.
I think it’s important to play all finals at AO, gives all teams some game time playing there before the GF, especially important if either reserves team is in finals too.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even after the Crows/Port entering the AFL I remember it was still healthy for a while...

When Centrals were good and some years when Port, Sturt y Norwood were going well. It's even dropped off a lot since then hasn't it? crowds and memberships etc?

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Even after the Crows/Port entering the AFL I remember it was still healthy for a while...

When Centrals were good and some years when Port, Sturt y Norwood were going well. It's even dropped off a lot since then hasn't it? crowds and memberships etc?
Dropped off a little when Port and the Crows started fielding their reserves in the SANFL. I know quite a few that dropped off and haven’t come back but I think numbers are still ok. If the right teams are in finals crowds are still ok. 40k region for 3 of the last 4 GF’s.

hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
From a Vic view I think the SANFL (and the WAFL) are benefiting from the absolute cock up the AFL has made of the Vic state comp - expanding it to the east coast this year, plus border closures and afl bubbles. Reckon if I was a player looking for an afl shot I’d go Adelaide or Perth before the VFL now.

Though am hearing there may be afl reserves on the horizon…thoughts?!?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
From a Vic view I think the SANFL (and the WAFL) are benefiting from the absolute cock up the AFL has made of the Vic state comp - expanding it to the east coast this year, plus border closures and afl bubbles. Reckon if I was a player looking for an afl shot I’d go Adelaide or Perth before the VFL now.

Though am hearing there may be afl reserves on the horizon…thoughts?!?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My thoughts are that with a national reserves comp the AFL will well and truly try to ruin any semblance of the WAFL and SANFL, I think they’ll try to take the development pathway away from the two comps by way of State based zones for AFL teams. The only thing stopping it may be the extra costs involved especially with the financial hit from Covid. Stuff knows how a club like Port afford all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad